Favorite non-tomato pasta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Glad to hear someone else doesn't like cold pasta salad. My DH likes pasta with just butter and garlic.

I just love broccoli, whole garlic, a little hot peperoncini, a little salt, olive oil, a dash of water. Cover the lid, and cook the broccoli down until it falls apart, about 20-25 minutes. Squash it a little to break up the garlic cloves, put it on Penne , al dente, with parmesan and a little black pepper. Believe me on this - it's not "overcooked broccoli" - I'm the first to object to that - it's divine!
Then there's a really wierd one I picked up here in Caracas. It's called " Sausage and Mustard Sauce" . For 2 people, you need:
1 large bell pepper, grilled to remove skin, julienned
1 small onion, julienned
1 tbsp white wine vinegar
2 tbsps Olive oil or corn oil
2 tsps dry English mustard
1 tbsp melted butter
2 good quality "wieners" - a German deli would be a good source! - sliced into rounds

Fry the sausage gently in the butter. Set aside.
Mix the pepper with the onion. Set aside.
Mix the mustard with the oil and vinegar.
Cook Linguini or fettucini al dente. Drain, add all the ingredients to the hot pasta pot, mix quickly with the pasta and serve.

(Courtesy of Victor Arroyo).

jkath said:
and your recipe would be.............?

sorry I couldn't answer you sooner!! well better late than never, so here u go!!...
Firstly, cook the artichokes as usual... you can either steam, pressure cook or bake them, important thing is cook them fully.

Then the next procedure is to use.. um, I am not sure how this tool is called
MUPPS03.jpg
(it is called "passaverdure" in italian...)

it is used to mash the vegetables into puree, eliminating any unsmooth objects, like pits or hard skins. You put the vegetables at the bottom, rotate the handle, then the vegs will be pressed and pass through the holes on the bottom. I believe it is also used abroad especially to make tomato purees etc. Put the artichoke petals here and process it, so you can eliminate the tough parts.
Put the "mashed" artichoke flesh into a handheld mixer or blender, add some cooking cream (25% milkfat), roasted garlic, grated lemon zest and salt and white pepper, blend the whole thing well.
Play around with the seasoning parts (garlic, lemon zest etc.) to your liking, adding just little by little.
Toss this delightful mixture with your choice of pasta (personally I like either fusilli, farfalle or penne with this particular condiment...).
It is a bit troublesome processing the artichokes but it is soooo delicious you will be truly rewarded for your effort at the end!! Give it a try when you get a chance!!:)

urmaniac13 said:
sorry I couldn't answer you sooner!! well better late than never, so here u go!!...
Firstly, cook the artichokes as usual... you can either steam, pressure cook or bake them, important thing is cook them fully.

Then the next procedure is to use.. um, I am not sure how this tool is called
MUPPS03.jpg
(it is called "passaverdure" in italian...)

it is used to mash the vegetables into puree, eliminating any unsmooth objects, like pits or hard skins. You put the vegetables at the bottom, rotate the handle, then the vegs will be pressed and pass through the holes on the bottom. I believe it is also used abroad especially to make tomato purees etc. Put the artichoke petals here and process it, so you can eliminate the tough parts.
Put the "mashed" artichoke flesh into a handheld mixer or blender, add some cooking cream (25% milkfat), roasted garlic, grated lemon zest and salt and white pepper, blend the whole thing well.
Play around with the seasoning parts (garlic, lemon zest etc.) to your liking, adding just little by little.
Toss this delightful mixture with your choice of pasta (personally I like either fusilli, farfalle or penne with this particular condiment...).
It is a bit troublesome processing the artichokes but it is soooo delicious you will be truly rewarded for your effort at the end!! Give it a try when you get a chance!!:)

in the states it is called a food mill...

urmaniac13 said:
Yeah, I adore pizzoccheri, too!!:-p I introduced the recipe earlier here, and I got the impression from the responses that the correct pasta is really hard to find outside Italy, or even buckwheat flour to make the pasta yourself!! Do you make it from scratch, or you can find the pasta in your area?
I can get the brand Rustichella d'Abruzzo here in NY at Whole foods....:D and there are LOTS of Italian pastas available all over this city, thankfully. I can't eat the stuff that''s made of American wheat.

Hi Everyone! I'm new here so hope I'm not intruding in the middle of a particular conversation:), I just saw the heading and thought I'd jump in with "my" favorite way to have Pasta/non-tomato.
It's just so simple but we love it. We're fairly health conscious, but won't sacrifice our flavor so that makes cooking for me a LOT of fun!
I saute Rainbow Swiss Chard, Red Bell Pepper, Italian Sausage and fresh garlic and red pepper flakes in extra-virgin olive oil. (Swiss Chard goes in last, just laying over top of other ingredients with lid to basically steam a minute, then up on a higher heat to saute as the final step.)
I plate my cooked Pasta (we use whole wheat), and top with the "sauce" above. Grate fresh Parm cheese over top, and finish with fresh coarse ground black pepper. (I use as much 'organic' ingredients as is possible.)
It's been great because we grew a TON of Swiss Chard in our garden this year and this has helped utilize it in a really flavorful way.
Thanks for lettin' me share!

And thank YOU for sharing the yummy sounding recipe!! Mmmm, that sounds real good!!:-p See, never feel shy about sharing your recipes, idea, or even a silly joke:ROFLMAO:, we are like "Number 5" from the film Short Circuit... Input!! Input!! More input!!:LOL:

Pasta with Tuna Cilantro Cream

Penne Pasta
500ml heavy cream or white sauce
1-2 cans of tuna in water, drained
1/2-3/4 chopped white onion
Fresh cilantro
1 large or 2 small, chopped tomato

1. Saute onion in just a few drops of oil until tender.
2. Add cream and bring to a boil.
3. Bring down to a simmer and add tuna and cilantro. Use your best judgment on the cilantro it can be a little over bearing, but you can always add in more as you go. Just taste it as you go along and add as much as you like. Maybe start with 5 pinches.
4. Simmer for 5 minutes.
5. Turn sauce to down to just about low.
6. Start to cook pasta.
7. Now just about the time the pasta is done add the tomato to the pasta. A little salt and pepper to taste.
8. Strain pasta and add to sauce. Simmer together for a few minutes to let pasta absorb the flavors.

I sometimes add the tomatoes at the very end if I want them to keep their texture

Back
Top Bottom