Favorite non-tomato pasta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rlc912

Assistant Cook
i watched malto mario make a delicious looking artichoke pasta today. i have a favorite pepper/parmesan/evoo and garlic pasta i make. what are some of your favorite warm pasta dishes that don't contain tomato?

aglio, olio e peperoncini (garlic, olive oil, red pepper flakes)

carbonara

funghi e tartufo (mushrooms and truffles)

vongole e limone (white wine, clams, lemon)

tonno, rucola e limone (tuna, arugula and lemon)

gamberi e finocchio (shrimp and fennel)

i could go on for days...

i take some white wine in a pan, and when it reaches a boil, throw a couple of whole garlic cloves, throw some fresh clams in their shells and cover for 5 mins till they open... once they open uncover, squeeze a bit of lemon, and throw in some of the yellow peel (white part is bitter) and add a substantial amount of extravirgin olive oil, shake the pan so that the white wine, clam juice and lemoon juice emulsify into the olive oil and create a melted-butter consistency... then add your pasta, i choose spaghetti, you can use linguini that hve been cooked al dente.... most pastas cook in around 10 minutes, your whole sauce can be made in the time it takes to cook the pasta... toss with some fresh chopped parsley and serve

Carbonara (a sort of spaghetti or linguini with bacon and eggs, to over-simplify)
Linguini with clam sauce (and while it is called white, it is actually more green!)

Vodka cream sauce.
Gorgonzola and paper thin slices of parma ham or prosciutto.
Garlic, olive oil, pepper flakes, parsley (plus shrimp or mushroom or scallops).
Vongole and white wine.

My favorite pastas are only hot dishes, as I really dislike "pasta salad." So, that said, I like all manner of veggies with pasta... alone and in various combinations, and also seafood, especially clams with white wine sauce, and penne with broccoli and chicken. :)

There are so many ways to enjoy pasta without tomatoes or tomato based sauces.
I also love carbonara and aglio, olio & peperoncino which have been mentioned already.
Some other examples are
-wild mushroom in creamy sauce, using either cooking cream or sour cream, with lots of flat leaved parsley.
-Pesto genovese
-pizzoccheri (hearty short tagliatele made with buckwheat, tossed with plenty of melting cheese, garlic butter and your choice of vegetables)
-quattro formaggi
-gamberetti(prawns) tossed in garlic butter, saffran and flat leaved parsley
-tossed and sauted with fresh asparagus and bacon, topped with aged pecorino
-cream of roasted pepper
-cream of roasted aubergene
-cream of artichoke

-pizzoccheri (hearty short tagliatele made with buckwheat, tossed with plenty of melting cheese, garlic butter and your choice of vegetables)
yummmmmmmmm, Ur! Thanks for peaking my memory! I think that's what's for dinner tonight. I love pizzoccheri! :)

Yeah, I adore pizzoccheri, too!!:-p I introduced the recipe earlier here, and I got the impression from the responses that the correct pasta is really hard to find outside Italy, or even buckwheat flour to make the pasta yourself!! Do you make it from scratch, or you can find the pasta in your area?

Chicken and artichokes in white wine with parmesean, lots of garlic and cream sauce. Scampi style shrimp with lots of garlic and lemon on fettucini.

Would you believe I made Basil Pesto for the very first time last week? Why didn't y'all tell me it was so good? You do have my phone number don't you? You don't? Oh :(

White Clam Sauce
Alfredo Sauce
Extra-Virgin Olive Oil, garlic, & Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
Extra-Virgin Olive Oil, garlic, shrimp, & broccoli raab
Extra-Virgin Olive Oil, garlic, turkey Italian sausage, & broccoli raab
Mixed Seafood (calamari, cuttlefish, mussels, shrimp, clams) with garlic & olive oil or cream sauce

I'm going with death on a plate (the Alfredo). In a feeble gesture to health, I would toss a few peas in and some shrimp or chicken for protein.

seriously, the other alternatives mentioned above sound very nice.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom