Favourite kind of Rice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

liketobake

Senior Cook
What is your favourite way to prepare, and favourite kind of rice?

I love korean fried rice.

:-p

I like to use Basmati rice when cooking Indian/Pakistani dishes, risotto rice when making risotto - oh and I like to use Greek rice for an accompaniment to Souvlaki or Kebabs. I like wild rice (OK, I know it's not really a rice!) to add texture to certain dishes. I also like to use pudding rice to make traditional British rice puddings.

I suppose I just like rice, in any form :)

Rice is served at almost every meal here. I like the Hinode or Diamond G Calrose white rice cooked in the rice cooker. I also like the Thai sticky rice. Like Ishbel, I like rice cooked in any form.

I like white and brown rice. I love to make a risotto. I enjoy paella, jambalaya, red beans n rice, you name it. I like making wild and brown rice mixtures. It is a very versatile grain. Nothing like roast chicken with rice and gravy! comfort food!

I love rissoto too. I have only had it once. My boyfriend and I had a cooking night and we made it. To me it does not taste like rice at all, and it is so yummy.

I like eating the korean fried rice with kimchee.

:chef:

I grew up knowing rice only as a hot cereal, served with milk, butter and sugar, or rice pudding, both of which I detested.
Then I fell in love with a Cajun who had come up to work in the oil fields for his uncle during his summer off from college. I also fell in love with Cajun food, a love which outlasted the man. :wacko: I discovered that I loved rice when cooked as a savoury vegetable.

Then came husband #2, a home boy who happened to like Chinese food, and I found another cuisine I enjoyed.
About that time, I also discovered Rice-a-Roni, which even my kids loved.
Now, we eat rice frequently as an alternative to potatoes or pasta.

I have yet to try risotto. I'd like to taste it at a restaurant first, so I'll know what it's supposed to look & taste like. But perhaps I'll get my nerve up and do it at home one of these days.

Last edited:
Constance said:
...I have yet to try risotto. I'd like to taste it at a restaurant first, so I'll know what it's supposed to look & taste like. But perhaps I'll get my nerve up and do it at home one of these days.

Risotto is really easy to make. It's not complicated, you just have to follow a few easy steps. You really should give it a try!

Also, risotto is like a blank culinary slate. You can add all kinds of different stuff to make an endless variety of dishes.

Yes. You need a medium grain rice rather than the long grain we are used to. The medium grain rice gives off its starch to make a creamy sauce for the rice. Check out this thread for some authentic recipes and process.

I agree that it depends on what I'm making. I like Basmati &/or Jasmine rice for most Asian stirfries, Saffron rice for Indian curries & Spanish dishes, & - for quickie meals - the occasional use of Minute Rice & Zatarains spicy rice mixes once in awhile.

(I always have a big box of Minute Rice in the cupboard for those times when my elderly pack of dogs have bouts of, shall we politely say, "intestinal distress".)

Like many, I can't narrow it down. Having lived in Hawaii for quite awhile, I always have some calrose on hand. I usually have either or both jasmine and basmati. I like converted rice for cold salads, where you need that separation of grains. I make rice socks for friends with arthritis (and always have a couple around the house) and just buy whatever is cheapest for them! I've used the calrose for risotto, and my guests never know the difference (and most of them are very well travelled), although I can now get aborio and other rices here (when I first moved here you couldn't). I think right now I have 3 types. It isn't unusual for me to have more.

My husband will only eat basmati, so I buy a giant bag from Costco which only costs aorund $6.

We have Basmati rice, just bought a new 1kg-back yesterday..
For me it fits everything we do with it, mostly some Wok-dishes... but as I read this, I could make a risotto again... must be years I last had it..

My favourite rice is Camargue red rice. It's gorgeous. I like it served with a Thai chicken curry, or in a salad.

I love risotto, I adore making it. It's not difficult, but it certainly isn't a low maintenance dish, you have to stay with it til the end. I do somewhere have a cheats version cooked in the microwave, which is suprisingly good.

With my meals I usually serve Basmhati or Jasmine.. And, even though I have heard that it is technically NOT a rice, living in the Northern Lake country, I tend to love a good Wild Rice..

-Brad

kyles said:
My favourite rice is Camargue red rice. It's gorgeous. I like it served with a Thai chicken curry, or in a salad.

I love risotto, I adore making it. It's not difficult, but it certainly isn't a low maintenance dish, you have to stay with it til the end. I do somewhere have a cheats version cooked in the microwave, which is suprisingly good.

I like Carmargue rice, too, Kyles. It has a unique flavour, doesn't it?

Back
Top Bottom