Freezing potatoes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JMediger

Head Chef
Hello All ...
So I have a fabulous coupon for 5 lbs of potatoes but really don't need them right now. Can I peel, boil, vacuum seal and freeze them until Thanksgiving (when I would thaw and mash them)? Other ideas?
Thank you!
JMediger

Hello All ...
So I have a fabulous coupon for 5 lbs of potatoes but really don't need them right now. Can I peel, boil, vacuum seal and freeze them until Thanksgiving (when I would thaw and mash them)? Other ideas?
Thank you!
JMediger

Yes, this would be great. You could even use them for hash browns, potato salad, etc. anywhere you would use cooked potatoes.

I've read that frozen potatoes can / will turn black. If I vacuum seal, will this lessen the chance of this happening?

They are sold in the store. And look fine. Of course who knows what they do them during the process.

We put our potatoes in the cellar and I've known folks that have stored them in a cool dry closet. Not sure how long they keep in a closet but potatoes in our cellar would be good for Thanksgiving...

...not to derail the topic of properly prepping potatoes, sorry.

Last edited:
I would also vote for storing them in a cool dry dark place. They should be fine til Thanksgiving. Sort thru them once in a while just to make sure you don't have a bad one--one bad potato will ruin the bunch.

I'm not a big fan of freezing cooked potatoes. Once revived, I can't quite describe it, but the texture is less to my liking. Whenever I have leftover of something like pot roast or a stew for freezing, I'll even fish out all the potato pieces first to refrigerate separately.

JM, just have fun cooking and eating your 5-lb bag, knowing that there will be plenty of more discount coupons for same when Thanksgiving comes around.

I would go for the cool dry storage. Previously frozen potatoes are not to my liking. Potatoes, onions, and garlic will last a long time if not stored wet and kept cool and out of the light. I wrap in paper towels and store, I would not store in plastic bags.

5 pounds of potatoes is a few bucks. I would wonder if the cooking and freezing is worth the effort. They will last in my refrigerator for at least a month.

I also have never had any luck with freezing cooked potatoes. They turn mushy and nasty every time I've ever tried it. Like Spork, I dig them out of a stew that I want to freeze. I suspect the freezing breaks down the cell structure. Yes, I know that you can buy frozen potatoes, but as someone else said, who knows what magic manufacturing secrets "they" have.

You can freeze potatoes, but the trick is to only blanch them. I would get 50 pounds at once for a meals for the homeless group I volunteered for and a friend and I would spend a day getting them ready.

- peel and cut the potatoes into about 1 inch cubes
- drop them into boiling salted water for about three minutes
- take them out and immediately shock them in ice water for another three minutes or until cold
- dry thoroughly on towels (or paper towels)
- place on trays and freeze for about an hour and then bag in the amounts you want.
- When ready to use, drop them into salted boiling water again until done as desired.
- At this point they can be mashed or served as is.

This is a tried and true method. Hope it helps!

You can freeze potatoes, but the trick is to only blanch them. I would get 50 pounds at once for a meals for the homeless group I volunteered for and a friend and I would spend a day getting them ready.

- peel and cut the potatoes into about 1 inch cubes
- drop them into boiling salted water for about three minutes
- take them out and immediately shock them in ice water for another three minutes or until cold
- dry thoroughly on towels (or paper towels)
- place on trays and freeze for about an hour and then bag in the amounts you want.
- When ready to use, drop them into salted boiling water again until done as desired.
- At this point they can be mashed or served as is.

This is a tried and true method. Hope it helps!

WOW......that's really great information LP. I also help cook for the needy........can't wait to share your tip. Thank you.

Just buy what you need, they are a dime a dozen! I've tried everything for freezing potatoes and nothing pleases me. They are useless to use after defrosting and ruin your good dinner! You can buy potatoes one at a time if you like!

Back
Top Bottom