Fresh butter beans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
we eat our butter beans 2 ways:
we make a soup with the butter beans (but ours aren't fresh; we use canned and add the liquid), cubed ham steak (sometimes a hamhock), hot sauce, onion powder or sliced onion and plenty of black pepper, plus a little ham base and some water.
otherwise, we just douse them in hot sauce and pepper and have them as a side dish, usually w/ steak or kielbasa.

We call the speckled ones calico beans. Just cook them like you would ham and beans, with a ham hock, chopped onion, garlic, salt and pepper. You can substitute Keilbasa or a good smoked sausage for the ham. Serve with cornbread...yummeeee!
I like to use butter beans in my baked beans...also love to cook them with cabbage, onions, garlic and tomatoes in chicken broth for a great low calorie soup.
I'll bet they'd also be good to use in an Italian "beans and greens" type soup.

Tx, all - I'll have to 'tweek' a little for my vegetarian guys - sigh. But have found some veggie products that have a nice smokey flavor, so I'll be okay, i think!

What kind of vegie products have a smokey flavor, marmalady? I try to keep my lunches under 500 calories, and every little bit will help.

The 'Bacon bits' sprinkles give a nice flavor; I use them in soups and stuff.

Also, 'Ives' or 'Yves' - can't remember which - has a vegetarian 'Canadian bacon' that I swear you can't tell the difference between that and real Canadian bacon!

Or sometimes I just use a dash of 'instant smoke'.

I absolutely love fresh butter beans cooked with a couple chunks of ham, some onion and with a big slice of cornbread on the side. Frozen aren't bad either when you can't find fresh, but I honestly detest the canned ones.

I even like the canned ones. Sometimes when I cook my lowfat cabbage soup, I put a can of butter beans in for a "meaty" taste. I do always drain and rinse them, though.

I have a little bottle of liquid smoke that I've never opened. I'll have to give the stuff a try. Thanks for the hint.

Yes, just a teensy 'dash' of the smoke will be enough!

Well, I ended up cooking both batches the same way, then freezing the leftovers -

Beans/vegetable stock and water to cover, onion, salt/pepper, fresh thyme.

Boy were they good - the baby limas especially were so sweet! I figured doing them simply would allow me to use them as a base for other things - like those barbequed beans.

Back
Top Bottom