Green Boiled Peanuts - serve with?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dragnlaw

Site Team
Staff member
I was given a can of Green Boiled Peanuts (Margaret Holmes - Peanut Patch)

I've read they are often used as a snack. Are they also served as a side?

and what with?

any condiments put on them?

I guess the green refers to the fact that they are boiled raw?

I love boiled peanuts, usually as a snack, and I have added several different spice mixtures to them, all of them good. . But I don't really serve anything in particular with them, though beer would probably be good, as Andy noted!

I just bought a 1 kg bag of raw peanuts at the Indian market today, with boiled peanuts in mind! It's not quite the same as those boiled in the shells, but the seasonings add to them. I always cook them under pressure in the Instant Pot, for 35 minutes, then finish it off just simmering on high slow cook.

Last edited:

and what with?

The only time I've ever seen them, they were being sold fresh and hot along the sidewalk on the way to an Atlanta Braves game [emoji16] Nasty slimy things, sorry ;)

oh.my.GOSH!
dragn, now you got me drooling!
I love love love Hawaii-Style Boiled Peanuts! Best eaten outside `cuz they're so juicy!
I have a fond memory of going to my first football game as a very young girl with my Dad. "Lean forward while you eat your Peanuts Baby Girl, or you'll get all messy".

https://onolicioushawaii.com/hawaiian-boiled-peanuts/

We've traveled through the Southern United States alot and have had their Boiled Peanuts, served warm while Hawaii likes theirs cold, but I guess `cuz I grew up eating our version, I do prefer these.

Great! Now I'm going to have to make some :LOL:
Me yelling from my desk to DH in his office: "HEH! You like Boiled Peanut?"
DH: You know! Is that what you're making us?
:ROFLMAO:

Those "nasty, slimy things", cooked in the shells, are the things I remember from my childhood, when we would make summertime trips to FL from NJ, and on the back roads through SC and GA, there would be these old black guys on the sides of the road with a large steel drum, boiling the peanuts in them. My Dad would always stop for some, at several places, coming and going, then when we'd get to my grandmother's place, she'd have some for us, boiling all day, and really slimy! Back then, and probably still, in some areas in season, the green peanuts in the stores were still soft, maybe harvested the day before. It wasn't until decades later I could find raw peanuts around here, and only shelled, though occasionally I see them in the shells, but they are totally dried out. I just use the shelled ones.

Mom and Sis didn't like them as much, probably because of the sliminess.

Those Hawaiian boiled peanuts remind me of a Cinese version, with some star anise, but also some black cardamom, which gives it a delicious flavor.

Last edited:
First ( and last ) time ive had them was on a road trip down to Mississippi. Pulled over in Alabama to get some gas and there was a food truck selling bags of Boiled Peanuts ( she pronounced it " Bowled Peanuts", which is how I have pronounced them since. Didnt hate them, didnt love them, bu glad I got to ry some regional stuff I normally wouldn't find on Long Island.

We did stop at a supermarket down there ( as I always do) to look for unique things that are not sold by me, and sure enough, there were canned Boiled peanuts. I did buy them, but after sitting in my cupboard for a few years, I think we finally donated them to a local food/ can drive.

(Food truck with bags of Boiled peanuts hanging from the window)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-04-14 at 3.40.13 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-04-14 at 3.40.13 PM.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:

and what with?

You nibble on them while drinking until the shrimp or crayfish boil is ready to eat. Also sporting event snacks, etc. I love boiled peanuts, but have not had them out of cans.

Back
Top Bottom