Help, Penne Rutstica

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
We have missionaries from our church over for dinner at least once per month. I always ask what they would like me to make, as I can cook virtually anything they ask for, if the ingredients are available.

I will be making them dinner shortly after the third of March. They asked for Penne Rustica. This isn't a difficult dish to make, except that every version of this dish that I have seen uses Marsala wine in the recipe. I don't use any kind of alcohol, even though the alcohol cooks out, as it puts a bottle of alcoholic beverage in my home, which is not in keeping with my religious beliefs.

Does anyone have a substitute for the Marsala that would give a similar flavor? Thanks.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Here's what I found from Food52:

"Marsala wine does have a distinct flavor, however you can try this as a non-alcohol substitute: you can use this non-alcoholic substitute:
1/4 cup of white grape juice
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons of sherry vinegar"

I haven't tried this myself, but you could do a trial run and test it out on the family … that's my two cents for what it's worth :chef:

Didn't we just have a conversation about people wanting to use a wine other than Marsala to make chicken Marsala? It's a unique wine, so I don't think there's a substitute that will have a similar flavor.

You could try this, but I have no idea how similar it is.

1/4 cup of white grape juice
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons of sherry vinegar

Back
Top Bottom