Hominy, what to do with it.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
While in a Spanish market near the house, I picked a few things i've never tried before. One of which being white hominy. Before I go searching the internet, does anyone have any suggestions ??

larry

Hominy has a flavor that's a cross between a bean, such as pinto or great northern, and a fresh corn tortilla. It is great in chili, or in corn chowder (Native American style). It can be used in various vegetable soups as well, especially if they have a bit of tomato in them.

Hominy is usually used to add flavor and a starchy, bean-ike texture to soups, stew, and chowders. It can be eaten by itself with butter, but usually isn't. Tomato, cummin, and coriander go great with it as does black pepper (coarse grind), and a bit of salt.

I'm a bit adventurous and so might even try to combine it with diced potato, onion, and ground beef in a hash, or with rice that's been boiled in chicken stock with diced meat of your choice. Add some diced peppers and you'd have a pretty tasty rice dish.

Just some ideas for you.

Seeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I use it in chili and soups, and the pozole. I like the other ideas I see here. I has that real savory corn flavor.

salad

You can make this as a salad...with tomatoes, chilies,cilantro. Just cook the Hominy and veggies on medium heat,,,add cheese..kinda like a salsa...hope this helps
grilled-corn-salad.jpg

I buy canned hominy frequently (it's very popular around here), but just serve it plain with butter, salt, & pepper as a side dish. I particularly like it as a breakfast side, but it works well alongside meatloaf & other comfort-type foods.

dried whole kernel hominy needs to be rehdrated like dried beans (soak overnight, changing the water a few times.) Canned hominy , just rinse and add to the dish.

Hominy has a flavor that's a cross between a bean, such as pinto or great northern, and a fresh corn tortilla. It is great in chili, or in corn chowder (Native American style). It can be used in various vegetable soups as well, especially if they have a bit of tomato in them.

Hominy is usually used to add flavor and a starchy, bean-ike texture to soups, stew, and chowders. It can be eaten by itself with butter, but usually isn't. Tomato, cummin, and coriander go great with it as does black pepper (coarse grind), and a bit of salt.

I'm a bit adventurous and so might even try to combine it with diced potato, onion, and ground beef in a hash, or with rice that's been boiled in chicken stock with diced meat of your choice. Add some diced peppers and you'd have a pretty tasty rice dish.

Just some ideas for you.

Seeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Hominy is CORN!!!!

Uh - no one here said that it wasn't.

But it's not just "CORN"; it's corn that's been specially treated. And everything Goodweed describes about the treated corn known as Hominy is absolutely correct.

Well, you guys are going to kill me, but i coudnt decide quick enough what to do with them. I rehydrated them just so i can get a good feel of the texture and taste, then apply them to a things i read here, but sicen i was going back to work and knew i wouldnt have time to play around with them, and also didnt want them to spoil, I fed them to the chickens :ohmy: They seemed to love it :LOL:

But i will buy them again next week, and definitely do something. Each week I try to buy something ive never tried before.

Hominy is CORN!!!!

Wow. Loved that quote at the bottom of your posts. So happy to know that I am an elitist and am vile to boot. That clears up so much. I hope you find a site that caters to your idea of what a site should be. And I hope you treat them with more respect and try to act with humility and charity. If that line is not what you are truly expecting to do, then I sincerely hope we can dispel any atmosphere of an elitist group, and show ourselves to be helpful and courteous to you. That's what I try to do. Evidently, I've not been successful at sharing information in a way that you like. Sorry about that.

Let me give you a recipe that you might enjoy, and you can substitute hominy for the Great Northern Beans in the recipe.

2009 United Way Chili Cook-off, 1rst-place Prize-Winning Recipe, White Chili Category – Bob Flowers’ White Chili

In past years, I made this same basic recipe, but with chicken or pork as the meat, and with more potent hot peppers. So this year, I tweaked the herbs and spices, changed to ground beef, and reduced the heat. Everyone who has tried this recipe has fallen in love with it. It’s not as pretty as red chili, but it sure does taste great. Try this recipe on a cool fall night. It’ll warm you to your toes.

Ingredients:
* 24 oz. (3 cups) Great Northern Beans, cooked
* 24 oz. Pinto Beans, cooked
* 1 cup Salsa Verde (available in most grocery stores)
* 1 large white onion, diced
* ½ cup chopped green onion
* 1 tbs. Sriracha brand Pepper Sauce
* 2 tbs. Coriander, ground
* 1 tbs. Cumin, ground
* 2 stalks Celery, sliced with leaves
* 1 ½ lb. Ground Beef (80/20 grind)
* 2 tsp. Kosher Salt, or 1 ½ tsp. table salt
* 3 tbs. fresh Cilantro, chopped
* 2, one-inch Serrano Chile Peppers, minced
* ½ tsp. white pepper, ground (or you can use black pepper)
* 2 cups heavy cream (1 pint)
* ½ cup Masa Harina (can be found next to the corn meal at
your grocers)
* 3 tbs. cooking oil

Heat the oil in a large pan. Add the diced onion. Sauté over medium heat while stirring until the onion begins to soften (about 2 minutes). Add the ground beef and flatten out. Let cook for about 5 minutes and then break it up. Stir and cook until the meat has lightly browned. Add the remaining ingredients, except for the Masa Harina, and reduce heat to a simmer. Cover and cook for two hours, stirring every twenty minutes or so to prevent the chili from sticking. Taste the chili and correct the seasoning to your taste (add more salt if needed).
Place the Masa Harina into an eight ounce cup along with just enough water to form a thick paste. Stir with a fork until all the lumps are removed. Slowly stir in two tbs. more water. This is called slurry. Stir the Masa Harina slurry into the chili, and again cover. Let it all cook over low heat for an additional ten minutes. Stir and test to see if the chili is thick enough for you. If so, then you are ready to serve up a bowl- full or two to your family. But remember, like all great chili, this is even better the next day. So if you can, cool it in an ice bath and place in the refrigerator for tomorrow’s dinner. Serve it with some good cornbread, or nachos.

Seeeeeya; Creator of the above recipe, and hopefully, a freind to all who sill accept the invitation of freindship, Goodweed of the North

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom