How do you make your rice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
White rice generally takes about 15 to 20 minutes

The basic steps to rice cooking are:

1) Bring the water to a boil

2) Add rice, ½ teaspoon of salt & 1 tablespoon of butter, stir once.

3) Cover the pot & return the water to a boil

4) Immediately turn the stove down to simmer & turn the timer on.

2 tablespoons butter
1 medium onion , chopped
1 clove garlic,minced
1 1/2 cups long-grain rice
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 1/2 cups broth or water, warmed
I mostly used chicken broth, works good with beef broth, vegetable stock or even just water
Melt butter saucepan over medium heat.
Add onion, garlic and saute until tender.
Add the rice and stir until the rice is glossy and coated with the butter. , and add the warmed stock.
Cover with a tight fitting lid. Cook for 15 to 17 minutes.
Season with salt and pepper, to taste

I have always made my rice, 1 part rice, 2 parts water. After watching a lot of youtube video's some use 1 part rice, 1.5 parts water, some use a 1 to 1 ratio. What's your method?
And how long do you cook it?
1 part rice to 2 parts boiling water + salt.

As I am a total klutz at cooking rice by this method in a saucepan, I now do it in a large bowl in the microwave - I use a coffee mug to measure rice and water, add salt cook on high for 10 mins and leave to stand in the m/wave for a few minutes fluff it with a fork and it's perfect every time. (Apart from the time I had a phone call and forgot about the rice and it set like concrete :ohmy: !)

You have obviously never been to Chinatown!

Touche! Our Chinatown like most other cities I have heard of is a constant target of the food safety authorities.

Our Chinatown was told one year to clean up their whole section of the city. Tourists were warned to stay out of there. And not because of crime. There has been a big turn around and once again tourists are visiting. But the restaurants are still visited on a daily basis. When one is found in serious default for obeying the rules of food safety, they get closed and it is published and broadcasted in the media. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom