How to fix undercooked barley

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Add enough so that you can stir the barley around. If you end up adding too much water and the barley is cooked to your liking before all the water is absorbed, just drain it like you would drain noodles or pasta.

I'm glad I don't have to throw out the undercooked barley!

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

What's the best kind of container to use for storing barley in the freezer? Is a plastic container okay?

What's the best kind of container to use for storing barley in the freezer? Is a plastic container okay?

The barley I buy comes in a bag that I cut open to pour out barley. That gets a rubber band and goes into a freezer bag (in case the original bag opens or splits).

The barley I buy comes in a bag that I cut open to pour out barley. That gets a rubber band and goes into a freezer bag (in case the original bag opens or splits).

Oh I meant cooked barley. What would you use for that?

You can do that, and just nuke it long enough to break or scrape off a chunk, not totally defrost the whole bag.

When I freeze stuff like barley, I try to make the stuff as thin and flat as possible in the bag, so I can easily break off a chunk while still frozen.

You can do that, and just nuke it long enough to break or scrape off a chunk, not totally defrost the whole bag.

When I freeze stuff like barley, I try to make the stuff as thin and flat as possible in the bag, so I can easily break off a chunk while still frozen.

That's a great tip! Is it okay to leave the defrosted portion I'm going to use later in the day in the fridge?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom