"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...
Click Here to Login

Old 08-19-2021, 10:22 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

How to substitute whole grain for pearled farro

I would like to create the recipe at https://30seconds.com/food/tip/24237...amelized-Leeks. The recipe calls for pearled or semi-pearled farro, but I want to substitute whole grain farro as it is healthier. The recipe calls for adding the semi-peraled/pearled farro to a pan which has chicken and vegetables and cooking for 25-30 minutes. I'm wondering if I should pre-soak the whole grain farro to ensure it is cooked through by the 25-30 minutes. I don't want to keep the farro cooking in the pan past this time, as I'd risk overcooking the chicken and veggies. I'd appreciate your input. Thanks!

confooseddesi89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 04:46 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Farro is sometimes called Emmer wheat. The whole grain takes 60 minutes according to this website: https://bluebirdgrainfarms.com/frequ...mer-qualities/

I'd cook it 30 minutes, then add it to the dish and let it cook the remaining time. Since farro is a type of wheat I'd get a chart on the different whole grain cooking times which always includes wheat.
Old 08-19-2021, 10:55 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Personally I pre soak the farro, but I usually cook it by itself then add ingredients at the end to make like a farro salad type of a thing . Ive never really added it to a dish to complete the cooking process, therefor my advice is of little help and doesn't apply.

The only thing I can add is that I find it to have a pretty large range in between under cooked and over cooked which gives a pretty big window.

Lake Grove NY ?
larry_stewart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 09:01 AM   #4
Assistant Cook

Thanks! I'll probably try cooking it 30 mins before to make sure it's done. Will let you know how it turns out!

Yes, Lake Grove NY!
confooseddesi89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 02:20 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by confooseddesi89 View Post
Thanks! I'll probably try cooking it 30 mins before to make sure it's done. Will let you know how it turns out!

Yes, Lake Grove NY!
We're literally neighbors, Im in Mt Sinai.

Welcome aboard!
larry_stewart is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
how to, pear, substitute