I want to try making gnocchi

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

callmaker60

Senior Cook
I don't have a potato ricer, and the only one i found locally was at Penny's for $54, which I won't spend that much for one. I did find several on line, but trying to avoid ordering online.
So I was thinking, I have a meat grinder with some small hole attachments, my question is does anyone think using the grinder would be ok for ricing my potatoes?

If it's not a burning desire to do it right away, I'd check thrift stores or garage sales for a ricer. I know for sure I didn't/wouldn't pay $54.00 for one. I guess the grinder would work, but be a big mess.
Why don't you want to order on line? Check Ebay.

Last edited:
I wouldn't put too much thought into it, I'm sure the old ladies that made gnocchi before the food network came along didn't.

I would use one of these.

Good luck!
tumblr_lcevyz3mjo1qbqgxwo1_500.jpg

With anything involving potatoes, I use what Aunt Bea suggested. Though I love collecting cooking gadgets, I don't have a ricer.

Last edited:
Oh I agree, nobody really needs a ricer but I'm glad I have one. I don't use it very often, but when I make twice baked stuffed potatoes for company I think it makes a huge difference with the beautiful texture that can only be had with a ricer. I also like to use it to squeeze all the water out of things like cooked spinach.

Check out this old blast from the past...

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f88/1001-uses-for-your-potato-ricer-48185.html

Last edited:
I'm sure you can use a masher, but I think the gnocchi will turn out like lead sinkers as opposed to light, fluffy clouds when a ricer is used. The dough won't get over worked with the ricer. Just saying.:angel:

I'm sure you can use a masher, but I think the gnocchi will turn out like lead sinkers as opposed to light, fluffy clouds when a ricer is used. The dough won't get over worked with the ricer. Just saying.:angel:

I think I've only eaten lead sinkers, at least that's the way they feel in my belly.
I've never made them but think you may have a point.

A substitute for a ricer can be a food mill. I like having a ricer. I use it when I make lefse, gnocchi, and perogies. I also use it for squeezing liquid out of spinach and zucchini when making zucchini fritters.

Try Walmart, Kmart, Bed Bath and Beyond. I think we got our latest one at Sur la Table and it wasn't that much. I'd suggest watching the 'family' episode of Master Chef where the pressure test was gnochii in sage browned butter sauce. I've been making gnocchi for many years and got tips from an Italian nonna. She used cake flour, mostly egg whites with just a bit of yolk mixed in. I had never made them the way they did on MC the other night but did when i made them last night, browned in the butter, and they came out really good. Crunchy on the outside and soft and fluffy on the inside.

A substitute for a ricer can be a food mill. I like having a ricer. I use it when I make lefse, gnocchi, and perogies. I also use it for squeezing liquid out of spinach and zucchini when making zucchini fritters.
How the heck do you squeeze the liquid out of spinach or zucchini with a food mill? Does it squeeze out through the holes?

I wouldn't put too much thought into it, I'm sure the old ladies that made gnocchi before the food network came along didn't.

I would use one of these.

Good luck!
tumblr_lcevyz3mjo1qbqgxwo1_500.jpg

So true Aunt Bea. Pirates in-laws come from Naples. She uses one of those. Wouldn't have a ricer in her kitchen. And she makes the best gnocci I have ever had. And if you volunteer to do the mashing, you better leave no lumps or you will be tossed out of her kitchen on your ear. It is not easy whipping those 'taters with a masher and no milk or butter to soften them first. But if this little old Italian who is older than me can do it, so can I. I have a ricer. A nice one I bought a couple of years ago. It is still in its package. None of my kids want it. They all have that famous masher in your picture.

So get busy callmaker. Put those muscles to use and build up some strength and muscle mass. You will then be able to say with pride, "I made these from scratch." :angel:

TL I use the ricer, not the food mill. Worst kitchen toy I ever bought was the food mill. I hate cleaning it and avoid using it.

TL I use the ricer, not the food mill. Worst kitchen toy I ever bought was the food mill. I hate cleaning it and avoid using it.
i misread what you wrote. Didn't see "I like having a ricer." D'oh!

I like my food mill even though it's not actually as useful as I had hoped when I bought it. I don't find it as hard to clean as my food processor, even when it doesn't go in the dishwasher.

I had a food mill and had two problems. The first one was storage. It is an awkward piece of equipment to store. It won't sit inside a pan, and requires a space all of its own. The second one was I really didn't have much use for it except to puree potatoes and a few other veggies. It was a lot easier to just serve them in chunks. And if I really wanted them mashed, then I used a masher. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom