"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-19-2018, 05:28 PM   #21
Executive Chef
 
Kaneohegirlinaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
Posts: 4,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
I like more chunks in my sauce, too..

Agreed!
Like browned&crumbled Italian Sausage or Ground Beef, YUM!
I'll sprinkle some meat and then pour in some sauce over that, etc ...
__________________

__________________
My Kitchen In The Middle Of The Desert ~ Wait, What? This Isn't Hawaii?
https://mykitcheninthemiddleofthedesert.wordpress.com/
Kaneohegirlinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 05:34 PM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 14,141
Personally, I actually prefer $1.00 a can of Hunt's Spaghetti Sauce over more expensive brands, even TJ's. I don't think I've ever used it without additions though.
It's only a base for the additions I include anyway. I always add some red wine, no matter what. I've added all of the above mentioned at one time or another except marinated artichoke hearts. Great idea and thanks Larry as I really like the sound of that. Hmm, now I'm thinking sliced green olives instead of black.
__________________

__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 05:35 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 23,767
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneohegirlinaz View Post
I think that everyone has their own opinions on "store bought pasta sauce".
Which brings to mind what Buckytom and Aunt Bea mentioned.

When we're talking about "store bought pasta sauce", what kind are we referring to?

My first thought goes to $1.00 a can of Hunt's Spaghetti Sauce
Attachment 29219
Now, that needs improving, in the ways already stated above ^^

But then there's the higher end, top-shelf stuff (have you ever noticed that Hunt's canned tomato sauce IS on the bottom shelf? )

Attachment 29220
I've been buying Trader Joe's Organic Marinara Sauce for years now,
no doctoring necessary. Heat and serve! Add ons are optional (I think that the seasonings of TJ's is spot on for us anyways ), and I do like some Meatballs or Sausages or Braciole or Country Spare Ribs or ....
Not everyone has a Trader Joe's nearby, or can afford to pay several times as much for a container of pasta sauce.

I always have a jar of Classico Tomato & Basil pasta sauce on hand for evenings when I don't have the energy to make sauce from scratch. When I do, though, I start with a 28-oz. can of crushed tomatoes, rather than diced because I prefer the smooth texture and making a larger amount saves energy and money and is more efficient. .
__________________
Anyplace where people argue about food is a good place.
~ Anthony Bourdain, Parts Unknown, 2018
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 06:15 PM   #24
Executive Chef
 
Kaneohegirlinaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
Posts: 4,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Not everyone has a Trader Joe's nearby, or can afford to pay several times as much for a container of pasta sauce.

I always have a jar of Classico Tomato & Basil pasta sauce on hand for evenings when I don't have the energy to make sauce from scratch. When I do, though, I start with a 28-oz. can of crushed tomatoes, rather than diced because I prefer the smooth texture and making a larger amount saves energy and money and is more efficient. .
Exactly GG !
Everyone has their own opinions, tastes, preferences, budget, availabilities, etc. This is just my own view on "store bought pasta sauce".

For me personally, I can't eat very much tomato product of any kind...it just doesn't like me... a little goes a long way for me, but now DH, any kind of red sauce, pasta, bread (no salad please, "Nope, not with pasta, that's not how my Mom made it" sshhhh, she did! he just didn't like it ) ... he's as happy as a clam.
__________________
My Kitchen In The Middle Of The Desert ~ Wait, What? This Isn't Hawaii?
https://mykitcheninthemiddleofthedesert.wordpress.com/
Kaneohegirlinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 06:40 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire
 
buckytom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: My mountain
Posts: 21,539
The really high end tomato sauces like Rao's, Silver Palate, or Batali's crack me up.

$8 or $9 for a jar of sauce? I've tried them, an surprise surprise, they weren't any better than a doctored up $1 can of Hunts, if you know what you're doing.

I've been buying Bertolli sauces lately when they go on sale. No doctoring needed, but I still usually add meataballs and or sausage, or fish of some kind. My wife prefers Tuttorusso, but i think it's a bit plain.
__________________
The past is gone it's all been said.
So here's to what the future brings,
I know tomorrow you'll find better things
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 06:55 PM   #26
Master Chef
 
Rocklobster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Ottawa Valley, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 6,404
We have a very limited selection up here..
Rocklobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 07:15 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 22,349
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
We usually get the sauces from Classico. They make a lot that don't have any soy. President's Choice also has some decent organic sauces with no soy. This can be extremely handy when neither of us has enough spoons to either cook or even shop and we can get those delivered. Or maybe just enough spoons to get to the pharmacy (for the President's Choice sauces).
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 07:20 PM   #28
Master Chef
 
Aunt Bea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: near Mount Pilot
Posts: 7,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
The really high end tomato sauces like Rao's, Silver Palate, or Batali's crack me up.

$8 or $9 for a jar of sauce? I've tried them, an surprise surprise, they weren't any better than a doctored up $1 can of Hunts, if you know what you're doing.

I've been buying Bertolli sauces lately when they go on sale. No doctoring needed, but I still usually add meataballs and or sausage, or fish of some kind. My wife prefers Tuttorusso, but i think it's a bit plain.
I agree with the high end sauces being overrated.

Why pay a fortune for this simple sauce from Rao's.

https://www.marthastewart.com/328007...marinara-sauce

This no sugar added sauce from Hunts is great but I can never find it in my local stores, maybe that is the reason I like it so much!



Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 07:24 PM   #29
Executive Chef
 
larry_stewart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 3,426
Sometimes I go crazy with additions to my sauce ,but honestly, sometimes I prefer just a very simple sauce:

Either something simple like Marcella Hazan's tomatoes, onions, butter S&P. Just started making this one a few years ago, so simple, but so good. Especially during the summer when I have tons of fresh tomatoes.

Although, most times Ill make a sauce heavy with the garlic. Sautee garlic, onion, olive oil, tomatoes ( usually canned ) S&P
Occasionally Ill toss oregano and / or basil but many times it's the tomato taste im looking for .

There is one canned sauce I use that I really like Don Pepino's or something like that ( yellow can).

When making a lasagna or ziti, ill often ' stretch' the canned sauce with some tomato puree I have in the freezer from the garden.

My most 'go to' additions to a canned sauce would be more garlic and mushrooms.

During the summer, when I have an over abundance of herbs ( rosemary, thyme, basil, oregano, bay leaves, parsley) Ill often run into the garden and just pick away.

I especially like toasting fennel seeds ( not too many) then building a sauce on top of that. My wife doesnt like the fennel flavor, but to me, it kinda gives the sauce that sausage- like flavor.
larry_stewart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 07:53 PM   #30
Executive Chef
 
Kaneohegirlinaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
Posts: 4,803
Three bucks is my limit on prepared pasta sauce, and this is why:

A 28oz can of San Marzano tomatoes is around $3 and then by
the time I add in onions, garlic, spices, herbs, cooking cost & time,
you're pretty much even-steven with a higher end canned/jarred
pasta sauce.
(btw TJ's is $2.99/25oz. jar, at least here in cowboyville )

... and Aunt Bea, I saw that episode of Maaaatha when she had
Frank on the show ... that's how I was taught to make my sauce.
I thought to myself, why would I pay $11 here
in the middle of the desert for a jar of the same thing I
make at home for around $3 ?
A friend of ours hosted a dinner at Rao's in Las Vegas,
meh. It was a very large table of American-Italians (all but me ),
they were not impressed ... sure glad I wasn't payin'
__________________
My Kitchen In The Middle Of The Desert ~ Wait, What? This Isn't Hawaii?
https://mykitcheninthemiddleofthedesert.wordpress.com/
Kaneohegirlinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 09:02 PM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 23,767
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneohegirlinaz View Post
Exactly GG !
Everyone has their own opinions, tastes, preferences, budget, availabilities, etc. This is just my own view on "store bought pasta sauce".
Of course. However, your comment came across as "why buy *that* when you can get what I consider the best?"
__________________
Anyplace where people argue about food is a good place.
~ Anthony Bourdain, Parts Unknown, 2018
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 09:16 PM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire
 
buckytom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: My mountain
Posts: 21,539
Lol.
__________________
The past is gone it's all been said.
So here's to what the future brings,
I know tomorrow you'll find better things
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 09:57 PM   #33
Head Chef
 
rodentraiser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Puget Sound, WA
Posts: 1,421
I've tried umpteen tomato sauce recipes and even the ones that people swear are full of flavor taste dull to me. So I use Classico's Spicy tomato sauce. The one time I couldn't find it, I bought another kind and threw in some red pepper to season it. That was the day I found out you can have too much red pepper in your tomato sauce.
__________________

------------------------
I cook because my pots and pans are the closest thing to a chemistry experiment that I have. So far I haven't blown up the kitchen!
rodentraiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 11:00 PM   #34
Master Chef
 
caseydog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Dallas
Posts: 5,618
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
I've tried umpteen tomato sauce recipes and even the ones that people swear are full of flavor taste dull to me. So I use Classico's Spicy tomato sauce. The one time I couldn't find it, I bought another kind and threw in some red pepper to season it. That was the day I found out you can have too much red pepper in your tomato sauce.
When I first made a sauce from real San Marzano tomatoes (in a can, of course), it was a bit of an epiphany. I like my sauce to really taste of tomatoes, and have the herbs and spices be supporting actors. That's my own personal taste. I grwo my own red peppers. They are potent, so I often cut a slit in them, put them in the whole during the simmer, and remove them when the sauce has just the right amount of heat.

I grow my own oregano and basil, too. I use fresh in the summer, and dried in the winter. I prefer fresh... again, just my personal taste.

CD
__________________
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.” Winnie-the-Pooh
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 11:05 PM   #35
Executive Chef
 
Kaneohegirlinaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
Posts: 4,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Of course. However, your comment came across as "why buy *that* when you can get what I consider the best?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneohegirlinaz View Post
I think that everyone has their own opinions on "store bought pasta sauce".
Which brings to mind what Buckytom and Aunt Bea mentioned.

When we're talking about "store bought pasta sauce", what kind are we referring to?

My first thought goes to $1.00 a can of Hunt's Spaghetti Sauce
Attachment 29219
Now, that needs improving, in the ways already stated above ^^

But then there's the higher end, top-shelf stuff (have you ever noticed that Hunt's canned tomato sauce IS on the bottom shelf? )

Attachment 29220
I've been buying Trader Joe's Organic Marinara Sauce for years now,
no doctoring necessary. Heat and serve! Add ons are optional (I think that the seasonings of TJ's is spot on for us anyways ), and I do like some Meatballs or Sausages or Braciole or Country Spare Ribs or ....

I gotta be honest here, I haven't made scratch sauce in about 2 years now, I was, but then I didn't have all of my kitchen toys for awhile and just feel out of the habit of making a humongous pot-o-sunday-red-gravy for the freezer.

GG, that’s unfortunate that you see my post that way. I certainly did not intend to come across as "why buy *that* when you can get what I consider the best?", and I’m sorry if it did, but it was again just my own opinion, with no disrespect to anyone else. Posting thoughts on the internet can be subjective to others; they can be interrupted in many ways.
A number of members here at DC have responded to the OP with their own views on ‘improving store bought pasta sauce’, creating a conversation in our community.
And after all, isn’t that what it’s all about, simply a conversation, some thoughts, an opinion, different ideas, preferences, banter, friendly give and take.
__________________
My Kitchen In The Middle Of The Desert ~ Wait, What? This Isn't Hawaii?
https://mykitcheninthemiddleofthedesert.wordpress.com/
Kaneohegirlinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 11:51 PM   #36
Master Chef
 
caseydog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Dallas
Posts: 5,618
So, Jerry, do you have the answers you were looking for?

Jerry?

Jerry?

Hmmm. Well, at least we were able to squabble with each other over jarred tomato sauce. That's always a good time, and worthwhile exercise.

CD
__________________
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.” Winnie-the-Pooh
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 01:15 AM   #37
Chef Extraordinaire
 
buckytom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: My mountain
Posts: 21,539
Actually, it can be fun:
https://youtu.be/9F7dL41VaRk
__________________
The past is gone it's all been said.
So here's to what the future brings,
I know tomorrow you'll find better things
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 05:20 AM   #38
Master Chef
 
Aunt Bea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: near Mount Pilot
Posts: 7,490
While you are waiting for the macaroni to cook please take a look at my favorite book!

Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 02:43 PM   #39
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Park Drive Bar/Grill Los Angeles
Posts: 13,108
Like I always do with a can of Bush's beans I doctor up cheap spaghetti sauce if that's what I have on hand.
roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 05:18 PM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Cheryl J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: California
Posts: 10,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneohegirlinaz View Post
GG, that’s unfortunate that you see my post that way. I certainly did not intend to come across as "why buy *that* when you can get what I consider the best?", and I’m sorry if it did, but it was again just my own opinion, with no disrespect to anyone else. Posting thoughts on the internet can be subjective to others; they can be interrupted in many ways.
A number of members here at DC have responded to the OP with their own views on ‘improving store bought pasta sauce’, creating a conversation in our community.
And after all, isn’t that what it’s all about, simply a conversation, some thoughts, an opinion, different ideas, preferences, banter, friendly give and take.
I didn't get that at all from your post, Kgirl. Over the years I've tried sooo many bottled sauces to keep on hand in the pantry...it usually comes down to what's on sale, and curiousity in trying a new brand. I love TJ's marinara sauce too and find it reasonably priced, but it's so far away I don't get there that often.

Once or twice a year I make my own in a big batch, portion it out, and freeze it, but I'm only a one person household with limited freezer space. Having a jarred sauce on the pantry shelf is really handy when I have my little grandson over for an unexpected dinner, as he's not much into onions, peppers, mushrooms, etc..
__________________

__________________
Grandchildren fill the space in your heart you never knew was empty.
Cheryl J is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
pasta, pasta sauce, sauce

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
×