ISO Bean Pie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
I once tasted a bean pie that I could scarcely tell from pumkin pie. It was delicious. Does anyone have a recipe?

I believe it was made with either navy beans or great northern beans.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Dylan's Bean Pie

A friend of mine adapted and tested this recipe from a several that he found (one of which was James Beard's), so I could enter in a BBQ competition. This category required contestants to use Bush beans (a sponsor) in any dish they wanted, as long as it was cooked on-site, using a charcoal BBQ pit. We cooked it in a ceramic pit and the pie received a perfect score.

Lee

Dylan's Bean Pie

2 16 oz. cans baked beans, drained and mashed
4 T butter, melted
2 T flour
1 cup evaporated milk
3 large eggs
1 t cinnamon

1/2 t allspice
1 t nutmeg
1/2t salt
3/4 cup brown sugar

1/4 cup Maple syrup
dash of brandy (optional)
1 large pre-made deep-dish pie crust

Mix the melted butter and flour together. In another bowl, beat the eggs, then stir in the maple syrup, allspice, nutmeg, cinnamon and salt. Add the brown sugar, then the mashed beans. Finally, add the butter/flour mixture (and brandy, if you like) and pour it all into the pie crust.

Bake at 350 for an hour and 15 minutes, or until a toothpick stuck into it comes out clean.

Bean pie is very familiar in the South, and also with Caribbean cultures. Here's one I got from a guy in a small Caribbean neighborhood in Jersey, who sold it in his store -

BEAN PIE
1 9"pie shell

2 cans white beans, drained (soup can size)
3 eggs
1 ¼ cups sugar
¼ cup melted butter
1tsp. vanilla
1tsp. cinnamon
1tsp. nutmeg
¼ tsp. allspice
1tsp. baking powder
1/3 cup evaporated milk

Bake pie shell 10 minutes and cool. Preheat oven to 350. Place beans in food processor and process til smooth. Add eggs, sugar, butter, vanilla, and spices. In a separate bowl add baking powder to milk and pour it into the bean mixture; pulse til incorporated. Pour into the pie shell and bake for 50 minutes, or til firm. Allow to cool before serving.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom