ISO Blackeyed pea recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kimbaby

Executive Chef
I am at it again,LOL...I was just sitting around after logging off trying to come up with ideas and blackeyed peas jumped out at me... so I am asking
about blackeyed peas... not the group :LOL:

love them! cook them in ham hock broth with garlic onions and greens. serve over rice or corn bread

cook with onion garlic and smoked sausage or hot sausage of choice

like them in chili in place of your usual red beans...or just add some chili powder and tomato sauce to the above!

they make a great bean cake..half mashed and stuck together with egg and seasoned breadcrumbs, fried up in butter, bacon fat or lard. Served on a sandwich with lettuce, tomato, mayo.

any of these darker pea beans such as crowder peas field peas black eye peas, etc are so versatile and good.

The only recipe I have for Blackeyed Peas:

Black-Eyed Peas & Beef

1 can black-eyed peas
1 pound ground beef
1 small onion chopped
1 clove garlic minced
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon salt
16 ounces tomato wedges, canned
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/2 cup ketchup
1 tablespoon flour
1/2 cup Cheddar cheese shredded

Instructions:
Brown beef, onion & garlic in large fry pan. Add peas, Worcestershire sauce, salt & pepper. Place tomato wedges on top. Cover & cook about 10 minutes (or longer - time is not important.)

Add ketchup & flour. Cook covered another few minutes.

Add cheese & cook uncovered until cheese melts.

Note: Usually served with green vegetable for dinner. Reheats well in casserole in oven. Add more cheese when reheating.

Ingredients

2 cups of dried black eye beans
2 sweet peppers (bell peppers ?), seeded, diced coarse
1/2 cup celery sticks, diced very fine
1/2 cup carrots, diced very fine (or grated)
6 chili peppers, optional, or more, or less, to taste, diced fine
garlic, optional, to taste, me very plenty
1 cup coarse sliced onions
1 cup peeled tomatoes, quartered, drained, keep juice
1 tsp* corn flour (corn starch)
1/2 tsp Rosemary
1 tsp* mixed herbs
1 pinch Sage
1 tsp* Coreander, powder
1/2 tsp Cumin, powder
1/2 tsp Garam Masala, powder
1 pinch Black Pepper
stock
salt to taste

Method

Use an ovenproof dish with cover.

Mix beans, sweet peppers, celery, carrots, chili pepper, all the herbs and spices evenly. Put in an ovenproof dish with cover. Dissolve corn flour in some stock and pour over the mix. Add the retained juice from the tomatoes. Add stock enough to cover the beans mix. Layer the the onions over it, followed by the tomatoes on top.

Bake in a pre-heated oven at 180o C for two hours, or until beans are done. Make sure the beans do not dry out during baking. Add hot water if required.

Season to taste and serve as is or mix the tomatoes/onions with the beans.

Note: This man mixes the above with some meat baked separately. Marinated pork or marinated pork/beef mix. Either ground coarse (when lazy) or diced into small pieces (better taste than ground).

Will post a recipe for moyin-moyin (steamed bean cakes = black eyed peas) in the African Ethnic corner one of these days.

Back
Top Bottom