ISO help/advice preparing lasagna

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have made two lasagnes since my posting both of which were rather dismal! :huh:

The first one I put the white sauce into the beef mix which meant there was a good layer on each of the pasta sheets .. not that there was anything terribly wrong with that but unfortunately, not being a well person, by the time I got around to putting the rest into the freezer it had all gone sour! :ohmy:
The second, which was just yesterday, I put the whole packet of lasagne sheets into a pan of water all at once which meant I spent quite some time trying to prise them apart... :blush: .. and to think I used to be such a good cook at one time...:censored:
Well at least it seems you know what you did wrong so it's a lesson learnt scenario?

Emmaline, maybe you would do better with some lasagna roll ups, and unlike lasagna, they're so easy to serve. Here's a picture of mine after and before I baked them.
img_1438960_0_3220ba582909389f3687a619b091cc9d.jpg
img_1438960_1_a7136185e75e98fc7a5e6e3f98b9b08e.jpg

Last edited:
Emmaline, maybe you would do better with some lasagna roll ups, and unlike lasagna, they're so easy to serve. Here's a picture of mine after and before I baked them.
img_1439020_0_3220ba582909389f3687a619b091cc9d.jpg
img_1439020_1_a7136185e75e98fc7a5e6e3f98b9b08e.jpg
Oh my! I wanna try that. Have you posted your recipe/instructions?

I also do a roll-up. My favorite version involves sauteed mushrooms, garlic, spinach and seasoning in a ricotta base. This gets spread onto lightly cooked noodles, sprinkled with shredded parm rolled, covered with sauce and baked. The ratio of noodle to filling is a bit higher than traditional lasagna which I like and as noted is serves so nicely!

I also do a roll-up. My favorite version involves sauteed mushrooms, garlic, spinach and seasoning in a ricotta base. This gets spread onto lightly cooked noodles, sprinkled with shredded parm rolled, covered with sauce and baked. The ratio of noodle to filling is a bit higher than traditional lasagna which I like and as noted is serves so nicely!

Actually Janet, my lasagna roll-ups are much like yours. I don't like ricotta so I use a 1-1 mixture of cottage cheese and grated Mozzarella with lots of Italian herb mix. Sometimes I use Italian sausage in the mix along with the spinach and mushrooms, but it's just as good without it. The key is to dip the no cook noodles individually into a skillet of boiling water, just until they are pliable enough to roll. It's important to have plenty of marinara sauce in the pan before baking, as can be seen in the before and after picture. A Bechamel sauce can be added on the top if you wish.

That sounds good! Presumably, by 'bulk italian sausage' you mean to take it out of its skin?

I fry the Italian links and cut into fairly thin rounds after they cool. Then I arrange the rounds like one would arrange pepperoni on a pizza.
I also make meat balls instead of using plain ground beef. When cold, I slice them up into rounds as well.
Makes for a very nice presentation and the texture is not one of ground meat.

Yup. I made it once. I need to do that again.

Agree. Once was enough for me too!

Back
Top Bottom