ISO: One Pan Rice Meals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vyapti

Sous Chef
This weekend, I made Jambalaya, well almost. I cooked the vegetables and meat, then fried the uncooked rice in a little olive oil, then bagged the whole thing and froze it.

We finished making it last night--Just add the liquid, bring to a boil and simmer. It was a fast meal that turned out to be very good. The rice had a fresh texture, and not left over mush.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any rice dishes that they make where I could duplicate this process.

Thanks

Edit: My daughter is lactose intolerant, so I can't use things like cream-of soups, cow milk cheeses or cream (although I've had some success cooking with soy-milk).

Last edited:
SierraCook's Jambalaya:

This Jambalaya recipe is the one that Lifter asked for. I found this recipe a long time ago in one of the local newspapers. It is a favorite of mine to take to potlucks.

Jambalaya

2 California bay leaves
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon white pepper
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon gumbo file powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
½ teaspoon ground cumin
½ teaspoon dried thyme leaves
1 large onion chopped
2 stalks celery, finely sliced
2 bell peppers, chopped
6 oz. thick sliced ham, diced
1 pound little smoked sausages, cut each sausage in half
4 tablespoons oil
2 cups converted rice
4 cups chicken broth

Combine the first eight ingredients together in a small bowl. Prepare vegetables and meats as directed. Heat the oil, saute the meats for about 5 minutes, then add the vegetables and spices, and cook for 10 minutes, stirring constantly. Add the raw converted rice and cook for 5 more minutes. Add the broth and bring mixture to boil, stirring well. Reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes until rice is tender, but not mushy. Remove bay leaves before serving.

--Thanks

I like to give a Mexican flair - cook rice with chicken broth, chopped onions, and fresh cilantro - I like to caramelize green pepper then add some shrimp or chicken, then add black beans, cumin, s & p. Those that can have it can top their bowls with Monterey Jack cheese and sour cream.

Sometimes I do a Hoppin' John rice dish, sauteed onions and green peppers, kielbasa, black-eyed peas and already cooked collard greens. Flavor with cumin, salt, pepper, and top with a little file powder in the bowl.

Try some risotto dishes. Pesto risotto with chicken or shrimp, the sky is the limit with risotto, as with other rice dishes. One of my favorite is an asparagus, lemon, and scallop risotto.

Last edited:
Kitchenelf--

I like your mexican idea, with beans, cilantro & sour cream. That sounds like a definite winner!

With regard to Risotto, I have a tough enough time getting the texture right. It's awesome when done well and horrible otherwise.

My wife is more of a 'pour it from the box and cook it' gal. And she cooks during the week. I'm trying to come up with some alternatives to fish sticks and rice-a-roni--Things that I can prepare ahead of time and she can finish without much work.

Here's two others I've Found

Goodweed said:
Black Beans with Cilantro Pesto Rice

Cilantro Pesto
1/3 cup pine nuts, toasted
1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
2 large garlic cloves
1 1/2 cups packed fresh basil leaves
1 1/2 cups packed fresh cilantro leaves
1 cup packed fresh parsley leaves
2 T. lime juice
3/4 cup olive oil
Beans and Rice
1 pound dried black beans
1 ham hock
4 cups water
2 cups long grain rice
1/4 cup butter, softened
2 1/2 t. creole seasoning, divided use
1/8 t. cayenne
Beans must be soaked overnight in water 2 inches higher than the beans, or use the quick soak method on package. In a blender, mix cooled pine nuts with remaining pesto ingredients. The following day when ready to prepare, drain beans. In a covered kettle, add 2 inches of cold water to drained beans and ham hack. Simmer beans until tender, about 1 to 1 1/4 hours. Drain beans, discard ham hock and keep beans warm. While beans are simmering, in a large heavy skillet bring 4 cups of water to a boil and stir in rice and 1/2 t. creole seasoning. Cook rice covered over low heat, undisturbed 18-20 minutes or until water is absorbed and rice is tender. Fluff rice with fork and add to beans. Stir in butter, pesto, creole seasoning and cayenne. To make a little spicier add some more cayenne.

RDG said:
I live in a place for which risotto is nearly the most famous dish on the table. Yet now, a great part of the land in the west and south Milano is full of rice fields.
However, The one I like better is a Trentino recepie:
for 4 persons.
In hot butter, put a medium onion, sliced very thin, till it will be transparent, together wit about 100 gr. of speck (a sort of smoked prosciutto, if you don't find it you can use bacon) in little cubes. Be careful not to burn it.
Put 350 gr rice in the pan, at a very low flame. Leave it for 3-4 minutes, turning very often, in order to toast it. Then, pour a glass of a very strong red wine ( The correct one of the country is Teroldego, but you can use Barbaresco, Spanna, Inferno, Sassella, something very strong in every way). Leave it evaporate. Add a half can of black beans, and broth till the rice is just covered, and leave it boil gently. Add a little broth as soon as necessary, till the broth is absorbed and rice is ready, turning often (about 20 minutes). Serve with grated parmesan.

ten char:rolleyes:

We like this rice dish.

2 cups cooked shredded chicken
1 onion
garlic clove
2 cups chopped broccoli
1/4 cup lemon juice
2 cups cooked rice
1/2 cup mayonaise
1/2 sour cream
1 can water chestnuts chopped
1 tablespoon dijon mustard
1 tablespoon curry powder
1 cup cheddar cheese

Cook the onions, broccoli and garlic until soft, add chicken, and water chestnuts. Add rice. Mix together the mayo, sour cream, mustard, lemon juice, and curry powder and 1/2 the cheese. Add to the chicken and rice mixture. Salt and pepper to taste. Bake 30 minutes at 350, top with the remaining cheese. I have frozen this before the baking procedure and it came out great.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom