ISO Stuffing Help/Recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

legend_018

Head Chef
ok, formulating a plan here for thanksgiving. I have actually only done Thanksgiving once about 10 years ago. I'm looking for some help with a stuffing recipe. I have gotten a few ideas, but just can't pin point what I want to do. Let me know your thoughts, how you make it, and recipes or if I'm interested in learning more after hearing from you, I can request the recipe than. thanks, : )

oh and out of the turkey stuffing please.
I got some plans/recipes for everything else pretty much.

Last edited:
Thanksgiving being a holiday of tradition and family, I always make the stuffing recipe on the Bell's Seasoning box because it's the one my mom made and I love it.

It's a basic sage stuffing that can be modified with the addition of sausage or added veggies.

I only made stuffing one time and I cheated the heck out of it.
I sautéed some diced green peppers and onions in butter, then mixed with a box of stovetop turkey, added some broth in place of the water and baked it beside my turkey pieces. Worked for me only cooking for one. Not exactly tradition though.

I picked up this idea here on DC years ago and it's become the family favorite. First off I order 4 loaves of uncut bread 2 wheat and 2 white. Trim the crusts and then dice into cubes. This is a must for us my kids do not like dry bread for the stuffing. Leave the bread out in a big bowl tossing it as it dries It needent be super dry . The next day we continue with our stuffing, sauteed celery,onion, sauteed mushrooms, warm chicken stock, a slight touch of sauteed garlic, melted butter. If interested I'll be glad to figure approximate amounts for you. This takes some time but it's well worth it the taste is heaven.it
isn't as fussy as it reads
kadesma

I use the dry bread cubes (Pepperidge Farm or whatever brand), sautee onions and celery in butter, pour chicken stock or broth and more melted butter over all, and mix it up with a healthy dose of poultry seasoning. I let it sit in the fridge overnight (you don't have to), then I cook it in the microwave. You can do it in the oven too.

You can also cut up your own bread cubes from any bread, I like the convenience of the package.

Last edited:
I make wild rice stuffing because that is the family tradition. It is totally made by "taste" and feel.

A quick search on the Internet, and ours is similar to this one:

Wild Rice Stuffing with Hazelnuts and Dried Cranberries Recipe at Epicurious.com

Except I cook the wild rice 2:1 ratio for wild to white or brown, 3:1 water first. I add celery (if my brother isn't going to eat it), sage, rosemary, thyme, poultry seasoning. I use turkey broth instead of chicken (homemade). I also use a combination of dry and fresh bread. Instead of hazelnuts, I use pecans and use 1/2 dried and 1/2 fresh cranberries. If I don't have dried cranberries, I use apples. I like to use a combination of different fresh mushrooms and I will saute them first. (I don't know why the text turned bold after I pasted the link--it would not let me remove it--sorry).

I have onion haters in our crowd. I use bread cubes, a very healthy dose of onion powder, a big dose of poultry seasoning, and then I soften with milk, not broth. (Sometimes with cream if I have some to use up) Do you need amounts?

I use the dry bread cubes (Pepperidge Farm or whatever brand), sautee onions and celery in butter, pour chicken stock or broth and more melted butter over all, and mix it up with a healthy dose of poultry seasoning. I let it sit in the fridge overnight (you don't have to), then I cook it in the microwave. You can do it in the oven too.

You can also cut up your own bread cubes from any bread, I like the convenience of the package.

that is my recipe to a t. however tonights stuffing is a mix.

Celery! Yeah, I used celery, not green pepper. Good thing I'm reading this. Sometimes I need my memory jarred.

babetoo said:
that is my recipe to a t. however tonights stuffing is a mix.

I love it. My grandma and my mom made it the same way. But there's nothing wrong with a little Stovetop! (no peppers, right, Pac!)

Last edited:
Day old bread shredded into a large roaster or cookie sheet the night before and covered with a tea towel.

Soften, onion, celery, celery leaves, in butter with a good shot of Bell's poultry seasoning, salt and pepper.

Mix together and bind with a couple of eggs and a little broth.

If it is going in the turkey I usually do not add broth.

Dawgluver said:

Wow! I do the same thing, but I stuff
Mine in the bird.

Sausage, Apple, and Fennel Corn Bread Dressing

1 8 x 8 inch cornbread
2 teaspoons olive oil
3 links (6 ounces) Italian sausage
2 cups finely chopped onion
1 bay leaf
1½ cups diced Granny Smith apple (about 1 large)
½ cup diced celery
½ cup diced fennel bulb
1 teaspoon minced garlic
½ teaspoon poultry seasoning
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1½ cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
2 large eggs, lightly beaten

Preheat oven to 375°.
To prepare stuffing, heat olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausage; cook 5 minutes or until browned, stirring occasionally. Add onion and bay leaf; cook 8 minutes or until onion starts to brown, stirring occasionally. Add apple, celery, and fennel; cook 5 minutes. Add garlic and next 5 ingredients (through black pepper); cook 1 minute. Remove from heat; discard bay leaf. Cool to room temperature.
Crumble corn bread into a large bowl. Add sausage mixture to bowl; toss to combine. Add broth and 2 eggs; toss to combine. Spoon into a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake at 375° for 50 minutes or until top is crisp and golden brown.

This is the one my son, Plague of Locusts requested year after year. I've made it both in and out of the turkey because my insignificant other always claimed she would never eat anything shoved up a turkey's butt. I also make the cornbread from scratch the Tuesday before Thanksgiving and let it dry out.

Last edited:
Sometimes I need my memory jarred.

okay, if you can get egg bread (challah) that's half the battle. pull it apart with yoiur hands into shreds, chunks, whatever and let dry in a large bowl or large cookie sheet....stir it a few times to get the bottom to the top....I saute green onions, celery, green peppers and mushrooms, in butter. I toss in a lot of dried oregeno and some sage if you like. I wet it down with milk or stock...Mix together well.....I shape it and put it into a tinfoil package, and as it's cooking I will either take some stock or some of the drippings from the turkey and baste it every now and then....toward the end of the cooking I will open the tinfoil....Enjoy, whatever you make!!!

I love it. My grandma and my mom made it the same way. But there's nothing wrong with a little Stovetop! (no peppers, right, Pac!)

yesterday, i used a store brand mix. way to much salt and seasoning. had a bitter taste. won't buy that again. i use stove-top very rarely. again to salty for me. i was very disappointed in the mix i used. :blink:

babetoo said:
yesterday, i used a store brand mix. way to much salt and seasoning. had a bitter taste. won't buy that again. i use stove-top very rarely. again to salty for me. i was very disappointed in the mix i used. :blink:

Sorry your stuffing wasn't good, Babe. I've used the Lower Sodium Stovetop, it only comes in chicken flavor here, and doctored up, it's not too bad.

Back
Top Bottom