Jamaican rice and peas.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kali-Ann G

Assistant Cook
Jah bless all,

OK now Jah forgive for say this but, me have had so call rice and peas in the UK and whatever it is man it not Jamaican rice and peas.
Now me list here as Pidgeon peas but in Jamaica we call it gungo peas. Me get them of Ebay in the UK so me imagine they can be got everywhere. How many depend on two thing how many it for and how much rice you make, gungo peas are cheap mw pay £3.99 for a 2kilo bag.

So we go man,

1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 1/2 cups coconut milk
1 scotch bonnet pepper
1 onion
2 cloves garlic
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 sprigs thyme
2 cups long grain brown rice
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
2 scallions
2 cups water
Can black eye peas and same quantity gungo peas.

Now you need to soak the gungo peas overnight. Wash them thoroughly. OK now start cooking the rice, add the gungo peas, black eye peas and everything else to the pot. Do not chop the scotch bonnet we after the taste not the heat!!
Now man it very easy to over cook this, me no going to insult people here explaining how to cook rice man!! But this very important, once the rice is nice and plumped up drain it, take out the thyme. Now put the coconut milk in a pot and cook slowly over low heat, once a little bubble seen put the rice and everything back in. Keep it moving with a fork. Once nice and hot serve it up.
This go great with curry goat (me post recipe for this).

Now man this is proper Jamaican rice and peas!!!

Me hope you like it.

Jah bless

Kali-Ann

Sounds delicious, thank-you! I actually have both pigeon peas, that I get at the Indian market, and black eyed peas, both dried.

You call for a can of black eyes, and the same amount of the gungo, but then the gungo beans are soaked, so I assume those are dry. A can of cooked beans here is usually 15 ounces, or maybe 1 3/4 cups. Should I be trying to get about that much of the gungo beans, after soaking and cooking?

Sounds delicious, thank-you! I actually have both pigeon peas, that I get at the Indian market, and black eyed peas, both dried.

You call for a can of black eyes, and the same amount of the gungo, but then the gungo beans are soaked, so I assume those are dry. A can of cooked beans here is usually 15 ounces, or maybe 1 3/4 cups. Should I be trying to get about that much of the gungo beans, after soaking and cooking?

Jah bless man,

Yeah man the gungo dried.

OK I see you dilemma here. Me should have said this in the post me make. Now me soak the gungo then me weigh them so they same as the canned black eye peas, again man this is personal choice. Hope this helps man.

Jah bless

Kali-Ann

Back
Top Bottom