Kalamata Olive, Sun-dried Tomato and Shredded Egg Fettucine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deelady

Executive Chef
Kalamata Olive, Sun-dried Tomato and Shredded Egg Fettucine

3 large eggs
2 Tb. Italian parsley, finely chopped
2 teaspoons of fresh rosemary, finely chopped
1 teaspoon each salt and pepper
1 cup olive oil
1 pound dried fettucine
1 cup sun-dried tomato in oil, finely chopped
1 cup small capers, rinsed and drained
1 cup chopped Kalamata olives
1 cup vegetable or chicken stock
1 cup of Asiago or Parmesan cheese, grated

For the Omelette:
Heat a large omelette pan or skillet with the olive oil over medium-high heat. With a whisk, beat the eggs, parsley, rosemary, salt and pepper until well blended and add all at once to the hot pan. Immediately begin lifting the edges of the omelette, allowing the liquid to flow underneath. Continue this process until the liquid is almost solid (about 2 minutes). Slide the omelette onto a plate, folding it into thirds. Cut the omelette into long shreds, and keep warm while preparing the pasta and sauce.

For the pasta: Cook the pasta in boiling water and drain. Return the pasta to the pan with the stock, tomatoes, capers and olives and toss until heated through. Add the egg shreds and cheese and toss. Reseason if necessary. Portion onto 2 plates, and top with extra cheese and a sprig of parsley.

This sounds interesting, but I am very hesitant to mix cooked eggs and pasta. Especially with olives. What are the flavor components like? And do the eggs get mushy?

What would make you hesitant in mixing cooked egg with cooked pasta, you do the same thing with rice in fried rice...
They are tossed in at the very end when you go to serve it so unless they are sitting there for a long period of time they will not be soggy.

Your suggestion of Kalamata olives and sun-dried tomatoes rang my bell, but in a different way. I use them, along with roasted garlic and fresh Basil to make a round sourdough loaf. Good by itself, toasted and excellent for grilled cheese sandwiches. I'm going to try it soon using the NYT method; I think it will come out well. Your Fettucine sounds delicious!

I guess I am just used to fried rice having cooked egg in it. But the flavors work well and the egg is mixed in with so much that it picks up tons of flavor- cant explain it, but it works. Thats why I asked what flavors this dish is comprable too so I can imagine it. I've never had eggs in warm pasta before. It's great in cold pasta salads, so it's not the mix of egg and pasta that's strange to me, it's that it's a warm dish with olives and tomatoes...I'm not knocking it at all. Just trying to get an idea of the flavors.

it's that it's a warm dish with olives and tomatoes...I'm not knocking it at all. Just trying to get an idea of the flavors.

It has a Mediterranean flavor to me, fresh flavor with little bites of saltiness and tang to them from the olives, sundried tomatoes, and capers.
If you have not had a warm dish with olives and sundried tomatoes IMO you are missing out!! They are some of my favorite flavors and so easy to experiment with. One of my FAVORITES that sounded a little odd to me at first was a Kalamata olive encrusted sea bass!! It opened a whole new world of possibilities to me! Before that I had really only thought of the olives as being in Greek salads. And now like Dave the Baker said they sound wonderful to me inside of a bread, stuffed in a chicken breast, tossed in pasta (of course;)) and any where else possible!
Hope you give it a try :chef:

It has a Mediterranean flavor to me, fresh flavor with little bites of saltiness and tang to them from the olives, sundried tomatoes, and capers.
If you have not had a warm dish with olives and sundried tomatoes IMO you are missing out!! They are some of my favorite flavors and so easy to experiment with. One of my FAVORITES that sounded a little odd to me at first was a Kalamata olive encrusted sea bass!! It opened a whole new world of possibilities to me! Before that I had really only thought of the olives as being in Greek salads. And now like Dave the Baker said they sound wonderful to me inside of a bread, stuffed in a chicken breast, tossed in pasta (of course;)) and any where else possible!
Hope you give it a try :chef:

I like that. This gives me a better idea. Because before I was imagining an omelt with spaghetti :( not appetizing. But I will certianly give it a try! Thanks..

PS

Olives and sundried tomatoes are some of my favorite flavor combos and I would die for a peice of THAT bread :pig:

....gotta recipe??:mrgreen:

Snack-Pack: Here's the bread recipe:

SUNDRIED TOMATO - ROASTED GARLIC BREAD

1 1/2 C lukewarm water 3 1/2 C bread flour
1 1/2 C Semolina 2 C sourdough starter
2 tsp salt 3 roasted garlic heads
1 Tbsp yeast 1 C sun-dried tomatoes - drained and chopped
save the oil and add EVOO to make 2 Tbsp
2 tsp dried Basil or 1 1/2 Tbsp fresh 1/2 - 1 C Kalamata olives, sliced

Cut about 1/2 inch off top of garlic heads; place in small oven-proff dish. Add 1/2 C water to pan and top each head with1 tsp EVOO. Roast 40 minutes in a preheated 400 F oven. Cool, squeeze out of the skins and mash well with a fork.

While the garlic is roasting, drain the tomatoes, saving the oil and adding EVOO to make 2 Tbsp.

In a bowl, combine 1/2 the bread flour and 1/2 the Semolina, the yeast, the starter and the warm water. Let the mixture sit for 15 minutes to allow the yeast and starter to begin working. Mix well, then add the oil, garlic, the rest of the Semolina and enough bread flour to make a good dough.. Then work in the tomatoes, Basil and olives.

Knead under the hook for a couple of minutes, then place dough on a floured surface and knead BY HAND for about 7 minutes. (this results in a superior loaf). Raise the dough until about doubled. Divide, shape into 2 loaves and raise again, about one hour.

Pre heat oven to 400 F. Brush the loaves with oil, slash, and bake for 30 - 40 minutes, until they sound hollow when thumped on bottom. Cool on rack.

Hope you like it!

Back
Top Bottom