Khinkali (Georgian Dumpling)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gopnik Gormet

Assistant Cook
Здравствуйте! Hello everyone!

Last year in July, I traveled to Russian. On this trip, I discovered a Georgian dish called Khinkali. Khinkali is a soup dumpling, made with beef, pork, lamb, mushrooms or cheese (it is common to mix and match meats). It is notable for the large stem of dough coming off the top, which is used as a handle to hold the dumpling while consumed. I have gathered a few receipes because that is the only way for me to get them, since they are almost non-existant in Colorado.

I have a great tasting and accurate filling, but there is one thing I can't figure out. The dough. I need help getting the finished dumpling to have a smooth, glossy appearance with a supple bouncy texture. My current dough works, but appears puffy (for lack of a better term) and has a stiffer texture. I have attached a picture of the desired result.
DSC1036.jpg

PLEASE HELP lol

Welcome to DC.

Could you post your filling recipe please. It sounds wonderful. Thank you in advance.

Hi and Welcome!

They look great, certainly shiny. I find that the dough looks better, gets that shiny look, after cooking.

What is the recipe you are using for the dough?

I don't think (NOT an expert, by any means) there is that much difference in dumpling doughs. Wontons, dumplings etc - I find are mostly different in the thickness that they roll them out to. Round shapes are often thicker in the middle and thinner towards the outside.
Although I don't think thickness has anything to do with "bouncy"

There are many sites and lots of videos that can show you.

Adding egg to the dough will give it more substance. Also, make sure you knead the dough long enough to develop the gluten in the flour. That will give it the elasticity you desire. The egg will also help make the dough shiny, or smooth.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

A most enthusiastic welcome to D.C. We like new folks, especially ones that make our mouths water. Don't know if I'd ever attempt these, but I sure enjoy hearing about them. Looks just delicious...

Back
Top Bottom