Leftover grits got runny

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Singing Mum

Assistant Cook
Made grits for the first time day before yesterday. They came out great even after adding blue cheese per the recipe I was following. When they cooled they were very thick (like cold oatmeal) and I put them in the refrigerator.
This evening when I went to warm them up as leftovers, they were totally liquid! What could have happened while they were sitting, chilled, in the refrigerator?!? Was it the mold from the blue cheese?
Would add baking soda make any difference at this point? Sure would like to "fix" them as we were looking forward to having them again!

Welcome to the forum!

That sounds strange - I've put various cheeses in grits, but not blue cheese (though I like the idea!), and they always seem to turn into a solid mass in the fridge! I almost always have to add some water to it. I don't know what would have done that - I haven't had other blue cheese dishes do this when refrigerated.

I make grits and have never had them get loose or watery. In every case they become solid.
What kind of grits did you use? I am guessing you are from the UK?
My only thought is the blue cheese. Not sure what it can do do, but its the only answer I can think of.

The problem was likely the cheese. When you add cheese to grits, it should be well after you take them off the heat. Cheesy grits will split (get runny) if the cheese gets too hot.
This temp depends on the cheese type.

Back
Top Bottom