Lentil Salad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zereh

Head Chef
Here's one to help y'all use up some of those tomatoes that are spilling out of your gardens. This is a tastey classic.

Lentil Salad
2 c lentilles vertes du Puy (these tiny little French lentils hold their shape best after cooking and taste great, but regular lentils will work as well)
4 large tomatoes (or 8 romas or a pint+ of cherries)
2 onions, peeled, cut into 8 wedges
olive oil
6 oz spinache (I just use a 9 oz bag)
6 oz cheese (feta, mozzarella, comte, whatever you have on hand)

Vinaigrette:
handful of cilantro
1 t Dijon mustard
olive oil
juice of 1 small lemon
sea salt and freshly ground pepper

Prehead oven to 400. Lightly film a baking sheet with olive oil.

Cook the lentils by placing them in a large saucepan and cover with water (I usually use veggie broth). Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 20-40 mnutes or until the lentils are tender.

Cut the tomatoes in half. Place the cut onions and tomatores on the baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil. Place in oven and roast for 30 minutes, turning the onions after 15 minutes.

Drain the lentils. Place in a bowl, drizzle with olive oil and toss in the spinach. The spinach will wilt somewhat. Sprinkle the top of the salad with the cheese.

Place the cilantro, the pan juices from the roasted veggies, mustard and about 5 T of olive oil and the lemon juice in a blender and puree. Taste and adjust seasoning.

Place the tomatoes and onions over the lentils. Pour the vinaigrette over the veggies and lentils and toss genly using your hands.

:heart:
Z

Wow, that sounds delicious!
I must have ESP, Zereh...I just bought a bag of baby spinach yesterday, and have a bucket of tomatoes that need to be worked up.
I'm not a cilantro fan, though...I may try fresh basil instead.

Yum! Exactly the kind of recipe I've been wanting! Between you and PA Baker's Butternut Dumplings I know what's for dinner tonight! Thanks!

I added a jalapeno to the viniagrette when I made this last night! yum! That extra bit of heat was great.

I think basil would be great in place of the cilantro. I'll have to try that myself next time.

:heart:
Z

Back
Top Bottom