Linguini with clam sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In my viewpoint, and in general, the shellfish, seafood and fish that I use and have had are tastier in Italia, Spain and Greece. I believe it could be that you can buy wild caught fish here. There is farmed, however, I do not buy it.

Wild Norwegian Salmon is lovely however, I have enjoyed Scottish ecological and wild, Alaskan and Candian varieties too.

We have also had catches from Eastern Mediterranean, Iceland and Greenland ( wild butter fish for example from Greenland ).

My secret is not a secret, I have an exemplary Fish Monger in Madrid and a phenomenal one in Italy too ... they are the key to my culinary success ... I explain what I wish to cook and show them the recipe in their native languages ... They are my advisors and I respect and trust their knowledge. Very quintessential relationship.

Since I have not lived in the USA for 25 years shortly, it is very difficult for me to give my views. I dine out or lunch out when I do visit and / or am invited by dear friends, however, I do not like to wear out my welcome. I do an Italian Bolognese Ragù Lasagna for my friends and / or my older daughter ...

I should go into the importing olive oil and pasta, Proscuitto, cheese, risotto and acorn fed Iberian Jabugo Ham business. I would make a killing in the USA !

*** I always bring wine too ...

Thanks for post.
Margaux Cintrano.

Margaux Cintrano.

Buckytom,

Razor clams are lengthy shaped with a lengthy shaped morsel of razor clam inside in Spain too and they are usually grilled in olive oil and served as a " ration ", a tapa that is purchased. They are quite popular during the summer months.

I prefer cherrystones however for eating on half shell raw with a drizzle of lemon and a touch of " piquant hot sauce " ... In Hoboken ! That famous Clam Bar there ...

Margi.

Dvds - You Tube

I should have written that I like the visual format of cooking ... I do prefer my own recipe however, and should of specified that ... I am traditional when it comes to cooking regional Italian and dislike the use of an excessive amount of ingredients. Italian pastas in particular are very simple ... and are based on tried and true preparation.

I do not alter my Italian recipes --- I love them the way they have been prepared since time memorial ... and by my grandmom Margherite.

If I want something totally different, I shall go to prepare: Greek Aegean, Greek traditional, Indian, northern Greek, Mexican, Brazilian, and some favourite USA regional dishes too, Caribe, Mid Eastern, Moroccan, Persian, Japanese or Thai and / or go out to lunch or dinner, and have a grand time with a taster´s carte.

Thanks for post.
Margi

Margi.

Last edited:
Margi I completely understand. I own a lot of cook books but being able to see how something is done really helps. I also understand about the combination of flavors that a person grows up with. I think we all base the foods we eat today on what we grew up with. I have had fried chicken all over the world but still base my taste upon my Grandmothers.

I see you can understand ... comfort foods ... I could use a real fabulous USA fried chicken recipe for my twin grandsons, they are five.

Do you use chickpea flour in frying fish or chicken ? In Spain and Italy it is quite common due to fact that it doesn´t permit the oil to penetrate the fish or chicken.

Thanks for post. Have a Nice Sunday. Margi.

I should go into the importing olive oil and pasta, Proscuitto, cheese, risotto and acorn fed Iberian Jabugo Ham business. I would make a killing in the USA !

Then you would be dealing with the stupid FDA rules where the hams are concerned.:mad: My understanding is the curing time for proscuitto must be longer than normal for the US market. Meaning the meat will be drier. I'm sure the Italians just laugh about our rules, seeing they have been doing it their way for hundreds of years. Although good, the product in country is far superior.

Craig, Hi, Good Evening ( it is 19.00 Hours here ),

Yes, how correct you are ! There are such ridiculous FDA regulations.

The EU ( European Union ) unlike years ago, has already confirmed Designation of Origin and Agricultural and expiration of product Safety measures of the products of the first 15 countries and now, 27 countries which are monitored more closely. They had let CHINA import toys with loose dysfunctional parts --- to E.U. countries ... NOW, that they have Toy Inspectors !

The two foods, Proscuitto di Parma and Jabugo Iberian Acorn Fed Ham are incredible products, we call them MANJARES = delicacies ...

I had said, I should import Italian and Spanish delicacies because, on my trips to the USA, I always bring a suitcase of goodies to friends and business people I work with. It was a joke. I do always bring my friends, great extra virgin olive oils.

Margi.
Have a nice Sunday.

I see you can understand ... comfort foods ... I could use a real fabulous USA fried chicken recipe for my twin grandsons, they are five.

Do you use chickpea flour in frying fish or chicken ? In Spain and Italy it is quite common due to fact that it doesn´t permit the oil to penetrate the fish or chicken.

Thanks for post. Have a Nice Sunday. Margi.

My grandmother used to just use all purpose flour salt and pepper. She would fry it in a cast iron dutch oven. I don't think she even knew what temperature the oil was at.

Margi I completely understand. I own a lot of cook books but being able to see how something is done really helps. I also understand about the combination of flavors that a person grows up with. I think we all base the foods we eat today on what we grew up with. I have had fried chicken all over the world but still base my taste upon my Grandmothers.

I want to tie up with someone who know how to use a pastry bag. I am so pastry bag inpaired. I need someone at my side. Visual! :rolleyes:

Then you would be dealing with the stupid FDA rules where the hams are concerned.:mad: My understanding is the curing time for proscuitto must be longer than normal for the US market. Meaning the meat will be drier. I'm sure the Italians just laugh about our rules, seeing they have been doing it their way for hundreds of years. Although good, the product in country is far superior.
+1

Buckytom,

Razor clams are lengthy shaped with a lengthy shaped morsel of razor clam inside in Spain too and they are usually grilled in olive oil and served as a " ration ", a tapa that is purchased. They are quite popular during the summer months.

I prefer cherrystones however for eating on half shell raw with a drizzle of lemon and a touch of " piquant hot sauce " ... In Hoboken ! That famous Clam Bar there ...

Margi.

yes, that's what i was trying to describe to addie. there must be a regional difference here in the states about their name. they are hard to find here in the eastern u.s., but are delicious nonetheless.

have you ever had gooseneck barnacles (i'll have to look up the spanish name - perecebes or something like that). i've been wanting to try them.

lol, jpb. anyone remember how lucille ball smuggled home cheese from italy?

Last edited:
We also have mussels here. They are very soft shell and with very little meat in them. You really have to eat a lot of them to make a meal out of them. Like the razor clam, the shell is soft. Nowadays, they are raised in beds hanging over the edge of a wharf. :)

yes, that's what i was trying to describe to addie. there must be a regional difference here in the states about their name. they are hard to find here in the eastern u.s., but are delicious nonetheless.

have you ever had gooseneck barnacles (i'll have to look up the spanish name - perecebes or something like that). i've been wanting to try them.

lol, jpb. anyone remember how lucille ball smuggled home cheese from italy?
OMG I almost wet myself just now thinking about it!! THEN the wine grape squishing scene flashed and I LOL. DD's think I am crazy.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom