Looking for recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lbb87

Cook
I'm looking for easy, fast, and fairly healthy recipes with cheap ingredients based on the food I like to eat. I'm having trouble finding recipes, could you all please give me some help?

Here are some dishes that I like:

Frozen okra and canned tomatoes over rice
Noodles and frozen vegetables with a canned white sauce (Ragu)
Spaghetti using a canned sauce (Ragu, Prego, etc.) and lots of shredded cheese

I find that these are very cheap and easy to make, and tasty as well. I don't often have the time to cook a fancy meal and I certainly don't have the money to eat/buy healthy and fresh foods. Mostly I buy frozen and/or canned vegetables as fresh ones are way too expensive. I don't like to eat vegetables by themselves, I like them in a casserole or similar type dish. I also like to eat a lot of pasta type stuff like Pasta Roni.

Based on that, does anyone have any recipes that my might work for me?

Here is a recipe if you like fish. I can get a fillet for around $4 here so if you have a little olive oil this recipe should be pretty cheap and healthy.

fillet of fish (I like to use orange roughe, flounder, tilapia or sole)
1 roma tomato
1 cucumber
1 shallot
white vinegar
sugar

Drizzle fish with a little olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake at 350 until done. Maybe 10 to 15 minutes depending on size.

In the meantime in a bowl add chopped tomato, cucumber and shallot. Add to vegetables a little vinegar and sugar to taste. Taste it as you go if you want it sweeter use more sugar. I usually use 1/4 cup vinegar to about 2 T. sugar, but that might be a little much for the one fish. When fish is done pull out of oven and top with relish.

Assuming your not vegetarian, you might want to buy some chicken ( buy a whole one and cut it yourself, it's cheaper). With the chicken you can use the breasts for a chicken parmesan, using your store sauce and some cheese. I've found that making my own sauce is less expensive than the store bought versions, assuming you have basics on hand like onions, mushrooms, parmesan cheese, garlic, basil. Also, shepards pie is quick and easy. All you need is some ground beef, mashed potatoes, and whatever veggies you like, top the casserole with some bread crumbs and a few pats of butter or margarine, then bake it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom