Luca on Italian Pasta #3 - Pasta Sauces

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
considering all of the puns, you gentleman have obviously experienced dickens far more often than i.

"not that there's anything wrong with that". j seinfeld.

:mrgreen:
don't get cratchetty with me!!
'Once more unto the breach........ Cry God for Harry, England, and Saint George!'(henry v)...trump that.....harry;)!!
ok,so it's bill shakespeare....speak to my lawyer...you know mr cohen maybe?

Last edited:
Thanks for the benevolent comments, friends! :)

I concur, Luca is one of those genuine people who takes a great pride in helping people without a hidden agenda.There are a large number of people on this board I would sit down and break bread with Luca is one.

Thanks Bolas, really appreciated.
However I do have a hidden agenda :devilish: :zorro: :LOL:

hope it's hidden better than your wigs & boas luca;)!!

You can bet on it, cumpà.
I was raised in a place where you learned soon to keep your mouth shut, if you wanted to keep your nice teeth in.
You had to show some respect, and always "farti i c***i tuoi", mind your own business.
What a glorious time! I miss those horrible, hectic days :cool:

You can bet on it, cumpà.
I was raised in a place where you learned soon to keep your mouth shut, if you wanted to keep your nice teeth in.
You had to show some respect, and always "farti i c***i tuoi", mind your own business.
What a glorious time! I miss those horrible, hectic days :cool:
nice!!! it sounds like part of the area i work in.....if you see a cat with a tail it's a tourist:ermm::ohmy:!!

Buonasera Luca, we are back to the lady and the tramp ;) My favourite pasta sauce is puttanesca, I usually have it with linguine(i?), sometimes with spaghetti nero de seppia. Which pasta would you recommend, either of these or something else?

I also have some bottarga (brought from Sicily), do you have any good ideas for this in a sauce and the pasta to use too please?

Grazie cosi tanto

Buonasera Luca, we are back to the lady and the tramp ;) My favourite pasta sauce is puttanesca, I usually have it with linguine(i?), sometimes with spaghetti nero de seppia. Which pasta would you recommend, either of these or something else?

I also have some bottarga (brought from Sicily), do you have any good ideas for this in a sauce and the pasta to use too please?

Grazie cosi tanto

Acerbicacid, thanks for your question. Now I'm packing and waiting for the taxi, I'll answer you tomorrow, as soon as I can (not so soon, it will be a lazy sunday...).

Ciao! :)

Acer: I usually employ Linguini for Puttanesca

Good Morning Acer, Buon Giorno,

Barilla Linguini works perfectly and most trattorias do same.

I find spaghetti Barilla Number 5 a bit too thin for Puttanesca.

My recipe with its History is in the Pasta Section.

Kind regards, Ciao.
Margi.

Ciao Acerbicacid, sorry but the lazy sunday turned into a lazy monday... :cool:

acerbicacid;1170265 said:
In that case - It will be macaroni from now on justplainbill - of whatever size and shape.

I found some macaroni for you, ancient Neapolitan style: :)

http://www.food-info.net/images/pasta/pastaseller.jpg

My all time favourite pasta sauce is puttanesca, I usually have it with linguine(i?), sometimes with spaghetti nero de seppia. Which pasta would you recommend, either of these or something else?

What a beautiful sauce! I love olives, fresh tomatoes, anchovies and capers (especially the last two) as pasta sauces ingredients. I think your linguine are a very good choice for this sauce.
Personally, in this case I like to respect our local tradition: I serve puttanesca sauce with long, thick pasta shapes. I love to eat it with bucatini: this pasta long strands bind well all the various small pieces of the different ingredients, and some of the tomato sauce finds its way inside the pasta hole.
Sorry, but I don't know what to say about those black spaghetti and puttanesca sauce, I never tried them. I appreciate the sauce “al nero di seppia”, with spaghetti or tagliolini, but I don't like the idea to have a pasta flavored with that fragrance. Certainly, I could try, maybe I'll discover a brave new world!

First of all, I would use long and thick pasta, as with your puttanesca sauce, even if in Sardinia, where you can find the best mullet bottarga, they serve this fishy food with malloreddus, a small, shell-shaped pasta type.
Secondly, mullet bottarga (bottarga di muggine) is more delicate, while the tunny one (bottarga di tonno) has a more decise, savory, taste. When you prepare your sauce, keep in mind this distinction, otherwise the final taste of your recipe could be too strong (in the second case), or too delicate (in the first case).
Third point: bottarga doesn't drive me crazy, but I absolutely don't want to dishearten you, it's just a matter of taste, for example I hate liver, I could die of starvation rather than eating that thing :wacko:
Maybe I could taste bottarga again now and see what happens...

The first recipe, very simple, comes from a friend of mine. He combines spaghetti, a garlic clove, some peperoncino, EVOO, salt and, obviously, bottarga. I never saw him preparing the recipe, but I tasted it and asked him some years ago to explain me how to proceed. And he likes to use a copper pan, but I don't think this is mandatory!
First of all, he prefers bottarga di muggine, but I suppose you could use also bottarga di tonno (which has a stronger fragrance).
Grate 80 g bottarga for 4 persons (obviously, unless you bought the grated version, yet). Peel 1 clove of garlic and finely dice it, then sautée in a pan with abundant oil and the amount of peperoncino which suits you (if the sauce it's VERY hot, you'll loose some of the fragrance, as you may suppose), for a couple of minutes, more or less. Then cook the spaghetti al dente, drain them, put them in the pan and mix them with the sauce, on a high fire for no more then a minute. Put the pasta in the serving dishes, add some crude EVOO and the grated bottarga (80 grams for 4 person).
Another recipe I found on the Web: grate the bottarga, finely dice 2 garlic cloves, finely chop some parsley. Put these 3 ingredients in a bowl, add a tablespoon of EVOO and work the mix with a fork. You want to obtain a cream, so you can add a few teaspoons of warm water to easy the procedure. Cook pasta and mix it with the sauce in a proper bowl, then serve at once.

Buon appetito, Acerbicacid!
And please let me know what happens with your bottarga pasta :chef:

Last edited:
Thank you so much Luca, it is mullet bottarga, hopefully it will be nice. I'll let you know when I do cook it (it evidently keeps forever, according to the pack) it is one large piece, not too sure about it either.

Definitely try your recipe for the puttanesca and the pasta you suggest. Don't know why Maria found these her favourite things
"Cream colored ponies and crisp apple streudels
Doorbells and sleigh bells and schnitzel with noodles" she soooo missed out with not having anchovies, capers and black olives on her list.

Glad you have managed to fit in two lazy days. The Kinks - Sunny Afternoon - YouTube

Busy at the moment as having family round to eat tomorrow night and I like to get as much done the day before as I can, leaves more time to catch up with all the gossip.

ciao and thanks again

Bill and Acerb,

Buon Giorno, Good Morning,

There is never a price difference in Linguini & Spaghetti ( Barilla ) here in either in Puglia or Madrid ...

Have a wonderful August.
Ciao. Margaux.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom