Mac & Cheese: oven? or stovetop?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

How to you make your mac and cheese?

• I bake mine all of the time

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • I prefer stove top mac and cheese

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Either/or. Depends on my mood

Votes: 6 42.9%

• Total voters

Cooking Goddess

Chef Extraordinaire
The "4 Levels of Mac and Cheese" thread got me to thinking of the various versions I've made over the years. Except for the early "Kraft Dinner" version, all of my mac and cheese dishes have been baked in the oven. Except for one. About a dozen years ago, back when I was doing plays at the local community theatre, we had a discussion about mac-and-cheese. I had recently seen an article about the excellent stove top one that Zingermans Roadside Deli (Ann Arbor, MI) would make. If it was that good, I had to make it! Himself and I even drove up to Grafton Village Cheese, a two-and-a-half-hour trip each way from our house, to get the requisite two-year-old raw milk cheddar. Spent a ton of time lovingly preparing all of the ingredients (or at least it seemed that way), cooked it according to the recipe, and plated it. Took one look at the spreading blob on the plate and said "this is special?". :LOL: The milks separated from the cheese, giving it a greasy mouth feel. The sauce really didn't cling to the pasta. It was meh.

However, if you're interested in trying the Zingerman recipe, you can find it here: Zingerman's Mac and Cheese Recipe

Do you make your mac & cheese in the oven or on the stove top?

I assume you are asking if we "finish" the mac-n-cheese in the oven? It always seems to be started on the stovetop.

I personally prefer mac-n-cheese that is finished by baking in the oven. It is firmer, and I like the crusty parts -- same as with lasagna, I like the corner servings.

CD

casey, that's exactly what I meant. It would be really tough getting that sauce stirred just right if it was fully prepared in the oven. :LOL: Thanks for clearing that up.

Yes to the crusty bits of mac & cheese or the almost burnt cheese on top of lasagna. :yum: I bow out, though, when it comes to brownie corners. Not a fan; I prefer the middle. Which works out perfectly in our house: Himself loves the edges, I get the middle. Win-Win!

However, if you're interested in trying the Zingerman recipe, you can find it here: Zingerman's Mac and Cheese Recipe

On the rare occasion that I make it, I prefer my mac and cheese baked.

I used to live in Belleville MI, and wasn’t far from Zingerman’s. Love their bread, especially their chocolate cherry bread!

If I were to make their mac and cheese recipe, I’d add a bit of soft cheese to help the cheese and milk come together. Ricotta, cream cheese, maybe even Brie?

Took one look at the spreading blob on the plate and said "this is special?". :LOL: The milks separated from the cheese, giving it a greasy mouth feel. The sauce really didn't cling to the pasta. It was meh.

Do you make your mac & cheese in the oven or on the stove top?

The Zingerman's recipe has you add the Mornay sauce to a screaming hot pan with olive oil in it. Cheese separates and/or gets grainy with high heat. Plus it doesn't seem like their methodology would allow for the emulsification of the oil added at the end.

Our Stop and Shop sells Grafton Village cheese, although maybe not the specific one you used.

Our favorite way is to bake it in the oven. But before we do, we put slices of tomato on top and sprinkle with breadcrumbs. Have been making it that way for almost 50 years. For me, that is my favorite way of eating mac n' cheese. Of course we have made quite a lot of other recipes in that time, but none ever called for the tomatoes.

I prefer stovetop Mac and cheese. I don’t like baked pasta dishes in general because of the hard and crunchy pasta parts. Pasta is supposed to be soft.

Lately I’ve been using the Serious Eats three ingredient Mac and cheese recipe and I like it.

Actually, I don't remember eating Mac & Cheese as a kid. I don't think my mom ever made it as she was always very aware of calories. I made the box kind for my kids when the two of us would have a going out for dinner date nite, but until I joined DC, I'd bet I only made it from scratch once or twice. I've made it a few times in the last 10 yrs, but not enough to form a real opinion. I'm not even really sure I like how rich and gooey it is. Alfredo pasta isn't for me at all.

I voted "bake it in the oven", because after I prepare mac and cheese stove top and mix everything together, it goes into a casserole dish in the oven to heat through and brown the bread crumb topping. I'm not a big fan of crunchy bits in mac and cheese.

I make mac and cheese about once a year, and for the past several years I've been using a blend of about one third each of cheddar, Monterey jack, and smoked gouda. I love that combo. Ever since I discovered the lovely taste of a little smoked gouda in mac and cheese, I won't even make it unless I have some. :LOL: I make it a little on the gooey side, as the sauce soaks in and I don't like a dry mac and cheese.

Usually it's served as a side with ham and broccoli or asparagus, so I don't add anything else to it.

Haha....I found myself going on and on..:LOL:

Browsing through mac and cheese recipes on google, I came across one in which the macaroni is cooked in milk! Is this weird?

Here’s the link to the recipe

I would say no as you can find many more recipes online that use milk in a mac and chese.

I would like to say that past few times I have made mac and cheese I have done it on the stovetop with a boiling mix of milk and water.

I would say no as you can find many more recipes online that use milk in a mac and chese.

I would like to say that past few times I have made mac and cheese I have done it on the stovetop with a boiling mix of milk and water.
But do you boil the pasta in the milk? Almost every recipe I’ve seen; you boil the pasta according to package directions, that is, in boiling salted water. Then you make your bechamel, add cheese to it, and finally add the cooked pasta.

My mom always baked her mac and cheese but I do mine on the stovetop. I started to make my own when the kids were little and I realized how awful the Kraft box mac and cheese was. I would often start with that boxed dinner but added some cream cheese to it. From there it was an easy leap to start with my own macaroni. Now I use elbow macaroni, cream cheese, some Velveeta, cheddar, Swiss, etc. I'll use whatever cheese I have besides the cream cheese and Velveeta. This is the only dish I use Velveeta in but without it this mac and cheese is not as creamy. I don't use flour. I just add the cheeses to buttered noodles and some milk.

I made Macaroni and Cheese only once,
and I used this recipe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwnDs6LWA6w

Back in the day, I loved watching Martha and when I saw
her make this version of Mac `N Cheese, I had to try it.

At the time, we were living in Hawaii and it wasn't
exactly easy to get Sharp White Cheddar Cheese,
whole Nutmeg nor Gruyère Cheese.
I can't remember now where I got all of ingredients,
but I did, made the dish (the entire recipe which feeds 12!) :chef:
I was so excited!
I set it down on the table along with a salad for my family of four,
AND NO ONE LIKED IT!!!
Except for doggie-boy-Vito and me
:ermm::ohmy::(:rolleyes::LOL::):ROFLMAO:

I may be the only one I know who doesn't care for homemade mac'n cheese. As a kid, I liked the Canadian boxed Kraft Dinner, but didn't like the US version.

Kgirl, I'm wondering if you're hubby gave it a try since he hates anything 'creamy', right?

K-L, actually, yes DH did try ONE bite,
moved his plate to the side, pulled his salad plate
in front of himself and asked for more,
SALAD!! :LOL:
I do have to give him credit that he didn't spit
the Mac `N Cheese out into his napkin,
all with no whining :ROFLMAO:

Back
Top Bottom