My Simple Linguini and Clam Sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Jr is approx the same age as your son KL. He has graduated from his "specialty dish" --pork chops smothered in cream mushroom soup over Minute rice to reading and following recipes. And grilling, now that they have a grill. It's taken a long time to get to this stage.

I copied your recipe for me, I haven't had clam sauce in eons and I like the simplicity of the dish. Puffin does give an idea I could chop some tarragon as it is unlikely I would have Pernod in the house. I think it would add a nice subtle accent.

I must say, the said son does a bang up job with chicken on the charcoal grill Whiska. I've always said his dad did the best grilled chicken ever, and when we were invited to dinner at their house, I told him it was every bit as good as his Dad's, we both got a little teary. He even uses his Dad's grill these ten years later. It was one of those precious moments, ya know?

Last edited:
In this neck of the woods we can buy plastic tubs of raw oysters, clams and mussels.
I guess those are the 'cans' I was thinking of. They all do need to be checked for shell bits and grit. I pass all the liquid through a coffee filter and use it of course. I take each piece and give it a cold water rinse too.
I'd read more carefully in future.

That just might be what's for dinner! :yum: That and a glass or three of Chardonnay. Had a big late morning breakfast.

Kay, I've added a couple cans of clams and bottled clam juice to my shopping list. Will be making your recipe, it sounds delicious.

Last edited:
My non cooking younger son asked me to write this up for him. It was his favorite growing up, and I was glad for his intention to make it himself.
Thought I'd put it here too as it's very easy no fuss recipe for a new cook.

" Mom's Linguini and Clam Sauce".

Linguini and Clam Sauce is one of my "go to" recipes as I always keep what's needed for this simple recipe I use on hand.

3 cans minced clams & juice
1/2 cup diced white onion or shallot
1 bottle of clam juice
1/2 cup chicken broth
3 cloves of fresh grated or diced garlic
some chopped fresh parsley
just a few hot pepper flakes
2 TBS butter and 2 TBS olive oil
Parmasain cheese, to serve.

(The clams themselves should be only added to the mix at the last minute, just to heat through or they will be tough.)

Here's how you do it...
Put the water for the pasta on to boil, with lots of salt.

Saute the onion in olive oil and butter till translucent, and add the garlic and let cook just a few seconds, so it doesn't burn. Add the juice from the clams, the bottle of clam juice, the chicken broth and the hot pepper flakes. Simmer for about 10 minutes. Add the parsley and clams just before serving.

Cook and drain the Linguini, and add the clams and sauce.

Would the fat-free Parmesan cheese and perhaps the fat-free low-sodium chicken broth work properly of this recipe? My Uncle Nicu has had his gall bladder removed of him, and he must be careful.

This sounds so very nice! He has received of his appetite now after the infection and he is quite hungry.

~Cat

I would think so, Cat. Glad Uncle Nicu is feeling better!

Last edited:
Kayelle, I will be making this tonight! I have everything of it, and all is low fat for Uncle Nicu. I can't wait!

~Cat

Love this dish, I make it pretty much the same, I use more clam juice than chix broth and I leave the hot pepper flakes out and just set on table for those who want them. As I have gotten older I find that I can't take the spice as much.
Lots of garlic bread to go with it.

Love this dish, I make it pretty much the same, I use more clam juice than chix broth and I leave the hot pepper flakes out and just set on table for those who want them. As I have gotten older I find that I can't take the spice as much.
Lots of garlic bread to go with it.

Same here. I once put the total of three red pepper flakes in a dish. I actually count the flakes I add to any dish. Way too hot for me. Couldn't eat it. I am also very careful when adding the dry mustard powder to mac and cheese.

But garlic!!! You can never have too much garlic for me. I love garlic. Plus there are so many health benefits from garlic. :angel:

What is Pernod.
Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North.
Not sure I got it right but this is what I found.
HTH

Is absinthe the same as Pernod?
Pernod Absinthe Essential Facts
The spirit is now made using the same ingredients as in the early 1800s. Absinthe was banned in the United States in 1912. Pernod reintroduced its spirit to America in 2007 after it became legal again. Pernod Absinthe was created in 1805, in France's first absinthe distillery.

Pernod Absinthe - Liquor.com

https://www.liquor.com › brands › pernod-absinthe

Back
Top Bottom