My Simple Linguini and Clam Sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kayelle

Chef Extraordinaire
My non cooking younger son asked me to write this up for him. It was his favorite growing up, and I was glad for his intention to make it himself.
Thought I'd put it here too as it's very easy no fuss recipe for a new cook.

" Mom's Linguini and Clam Sauce".

Linguini and Clam Sauce is one of my "go to" recipes as I always keep what's needed for this simple recipe I use on hand.

3 cans minced clams & juice
1/2 cup diced white onion or shallot
1 bottle of clam juice
1/2 cup chicken broth
3 cloves of fresh grated or diced garlic
some chopped fresh parsley
just a few hot pepper flakes
2 TBS butter and 2 TBS olive oil
Parmasain cheese, to serve.

(The clams themselves should be only added to the mix at the last minute, just to heat through or they will be tough.)

Here's how you do it...
Put the water for the pasta on to boil, with lots of salt.

Saute the onion in olive oil and butter till translucent, and add the garlic and let cook just a few seconds, so it doesn't burn. Add the juice from the clams, the bottle of clam juice, the chicken broth and the hot pepper flakes. Simmer for about 10 minutes. Add the parsley and clams just before serving.

Cook and drain the Linguini, and add the clams and sauce.

Great emergency shelf meal!

My little one can version is very similar, I never seem to have the clam broth or chicken stock on hand so I use a splash of white wine and a spoon or two of pasta water.

I usually end up using frozen parsley from a bunch that I keep in the freezer, I just pull it out and shave off a few leaves with my chefs knife and pop the rest of it back into the freezer. When all I have left is a bunch of stems I toss them into the stock pot.

Are the canned clams raw or precooked and do you need to strain out any shell or grit?
Your recipe sounds great. All I would do is add a T of Pernod to the sauce and a pinch of fresh lemon peel to finish.

Last edited:
Are the canned clams raw or precooked and do you need to strain out any shell or grit?
Your recipe sounds great. All I would do is add a T of Pernod to the sauce and a pinch of fresh lemon peel to finish.

I think all canned clams are cooked in order to be processed. I've never encountered any shell or grit in them. Yep, you could gussy up the dish some but I didn't wanna confuse the little fellow. :LOL: He's 40 something years old and over six feet. Where did the time go? ;)

Yes, all canned foods are heated to the temperature necessary to kill pathogens, which varies depending on the food. I've never encountered shell or grit in canned seafood, either.

:yum: Nice one, Kay!

I often add a can of chopped clams to my spaghetti sauce. Love the taste and texture.

Sounds really good, Kay, thanks for sharing your recipe! Glad to hear your youngest is showing an interest in cooking. He should join up here. :chef: :LOL:

Funny you should share this now - I impulse bought a couple of those small rectangular tins of smoked clams a few months ago and was thinking about posting a 'how to use them?' thread. This recipe might require a more delicate clam rather than smoked, though.

Copied and saved!

Cheryl, the only thing you need to eat smoked clams with is a toothpick. :yum:

Just sayin'.

Last edited:
I love smoked clams on a cracker with a vodka martini.

Making clam chowder with fresh clams is wonderful: steam in a bit of white wine, discard the shells, and chop, then add the juice and clams to the milk or cream (bacon, potatoes, onions and celery) and thicken with a bit of instant mashed potatoes or flour. I like it thick and not a runny boat chowder.

Thanks, KL! I've never had linguini with clam sauce, but have always wanted to try it. I've printed out a copy and will add missing ingredients to my grocery list.

We of course have fresh dug that morning clams available year round. So I get a bag of them, steam them until opened, save the broth and strain through cheesecloth. That is always the start of any dish I want to make with clams. I do keep a can or two of clams on the shelf along with a bottle or two of clam juice.

Sometimes if the clams are dirty, I will place them in a bowl of very salty water. Fresh water, and they will drown. They will clean themselves out and be ready to steam for at least two hours. Then I change the water and do it again. I continue doing this until I no longer see sediment of the bottom of the bowl. Some folks put cornmeal or oatmeal in the water for them to feed on. I don't. From there I am in Clam Heaven! Steamed clams, clam chowder, stuffed clam shells, etc. :angel:

That's fine for an experienced cook who has fresh clams available Addie, not for a beginner cook.

I have to admit, that we are blessed with an abundance of fresh products from the sea every day. We have a fairly large fishing fleet right here in Boston, and clamming and going out for lobsters on a daily basis is a regular activity for a lot of folks here. My SIL does it every summer. When you grow up with sea food in your back yard, you tend to take it for granted. :angel:

That's fine for an experienced cook who has fresh clams available Addie, not for a beginner cook.

+1. The title of this thread is Simple Linguine and Clam Sauce that was shared with a novice cook and then with us, not having to go harvest your own clams. LOL

Last edited:
Jr is approx the same age as your son KL. He has graduated from his "specialty dish" --pork chops smothered in cream mushroom soup over Minute rice to reading and following recipes. And grilling, now that they have a grill. It's taken a long time to get to this stage.

I copied your recipe for me, I haven't had clam sauce in eons and I like the simplicity of the dish. Puffin does give an idea I could chop some tarragon as it is unlikely I would have Pernod in the house. I think it would add a nice subtle accent.

Back
Top Bottom