Pasta sauce with no tomatoes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tagliatelle dressed with butter, sage, black pepper and Parmesan. Good when you're feeling tired.

di reston

Peeple of ze wurl, relax!
Tom Robbins
Fierce invalids home from hot climates

My favorite type of pasta when making it by hand. No machinery involved. A great stress reliever.

I have unfortunately discovered that cooked tomatoes make my arthritis worse, even in small amounts.

Any suggestions for pasta sauces that don't have tomatoes? So far, I can think of four.

1. Fettucine Alfredo
  2. Pasta carbonara
  3. Kayelle's clams with linguine
  4. Dragon Lady sesame noodles

I'm late to the show, again, but my own system for whatever the reason, does not take kindly to Tomato anything.

Here's some of the dishes that I make:

egg noodles with chicken mushrooms peas and gravy.JPG
my personal favorite-sauteed b/s diced chix thighs-mushrooms-peas and chix gravy

dried ravs with pesto and shredded chicken.JPG
Ravs w/ leftover shredded chicken-pesto & cheese

pasta with brocollini and chicken.JPG
Broccolini and leftover shredded chix-EVOO-garlic and cheese

chicken marsala.JPG
Chicken (or Turkey cutlets are good too) Marsala, I chunk my Chicken, lightly flour the pieces, saute, and continue w/the regular Marsala sauce

007.JPG
Braised Kale w/Italian Sausage-EVOO-Garlic-stock-white wine-cheese

bucatini with pancetta bread crumbs evoo cheese and parsley.JPG
Bucatini w/Pancetta-EVOO-Garlic-Bread crumbs-cheese-Pine Nuts-parsley

chicken lasagne.JPG
a new fav that DH does not care for-Chicken Lasagne, made w/ jarred Alfredo sauce in place of the red sauce and steamed brocolini, can't see it, but it's in there, MMM!

001.jpg
Spaghetti topped with steamed shelled Mussels-EVOO-garlic-white wine-cheese, for DH

002.JPG
for moi, spaghetti topped w/steamed Lobster chunks-EVOO-garlic-white wine-cheese

Forgot about the red bell pepper sauce we have with homemade lobster ravioli.

Forgot about the red bell pepper sauce we have with homemade lobster ravioli.

Lobster Ravioli
Dough
3 Cups unbleached all purpose flour
3 Extra large eggs
You can make the dough using the "well" method or in the food processor by placing the flour in the processor, adding one egg at a time while running to form a loose ball that is moist and slightly sticky. If too dry and a little cool water and pulse. Remove dough to a floured board and knead until smooth and silky. Form dough into a disk, wrap in plasti wrap and let rest for a minimum of 30 minutes. If holding for longer, refrigerate and bring back to room temperature before rolling.

Lobster
1 Florida/Caribbean lobster tail or 1 1-1/4 lb Maine lobster
We normally steam the tail using the "Shrimp" directions on a can of Old Bay seasoning. I would recommend a court boullion to boil a Maine lobster for this recipe.

Filling
Finely chop lobster meat
1/8 Cup very finely chopped sweet onion
1 Small garlic clove, finely chopped
2 Tbsp all purpose flour
2 Tbsp unsalted butter
1 Cup heavy cream
1/4 tsp Coleman's dry mustard
S& White Pepper to taster

Directions
To make white sauce, saute onion in butter in a small sauce pan over med-low heat, until onions are nearly translucent. Add garlic and cook 2 minutes. Add a good pinch of salt and white pepper and mustard, stir. Add flour and stir 3-4 minutes until raw flour taste is cooked out. Add cream that has been warmed, a little at a time, stirring constantly to avoid lumps. Remove from heat to cool.Mix chopped lobster with just enough of the white sauce to bind. Set aside. Reserve remaining white sauce.

Sauce
2 Large red bell peppers
1/2 Cup chopped onion
2 Medium cloves garlic minced
2 Tbsp unsalted butter
1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Remaining white sauce
Heavy cream as needed
S& White pepper

Directions
Roast peppers until skin is black, place in a plastic bag to steam. when cool enough to handle, remove stem, skin, seeds, reserving any liquid and coarsely chop. I use a hand held propane torch to blacken the skin. This allows the pepper to maintain its shape after the skin is scrubbed off with a vegetable brush. sautee onion in butter and oil in a small sauce pan over med-low heat, until onions are nearly translucent. Add garlic and cook 2 minutes. Add chopped red bell pepper and cook until soft. Add remaining white sauce, salt and pepper, any reserved pepper liquid and additional heavy cream, if needed to make sauce to your desired thickness. Transfer to blender and process until smooth. return to pot and heat over med-low until hot, stirring frequently, adding cream if needed. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed and keep warm.

Ravioli

On a floured board, divide dough into quarters. Using one piece shape into a rectangle dusting with flour as needed. Run through the lowest setting on a pasta machine. Fold in thirds and run through the same setting again. You may have to repeat this 2-3 times to get a fairly decent rectangle, flouring as needed. Run the pasta through different settings until desired thickness, flouring as needed. You may have to cut the dough in half crossways if the length becomes unmanageable. Flour well when done and set aside. Repeat with remaining dough.
On floured board, lay out one sheet of dough. You can space 1 Tbsp measures of filling evenly to one side of the dough leaving a 1/2" of dough exposed on that side. Using water to form a square or circle around each mound of filling. Fold the opposite end of dough over the mounds and press to form each ravioli, making sure to expell any air and seal each ravioli. You can use a square or round cutter to cut out each ravioli. Set aside on a well floured board and cover with cooking spray coated plasic wrap. Repeat until all ravioli are done.
Bring a large pot of water to a gentle boil. Add salt to taste. Shake off excess flour from ravioli, using a fine mesh strainer. Cook ravioli in batches, 2-4 minutes. remove and set aside, keeping warm until all are done. Transfer to plates/bowls, cover with sauce and serve. If you are a violator of Italian seafood tradition, grate some parm over the ravioli. A salad would be great as a side and some crusty bread.

Campbell’s mushroom soup or other soups like that I often use makes an easy yummy quick cheater sauce or start of a sauce anyway

Everyone has offered great sauces, but I have a question, is it the acid in the tomatoes that triggers things. I have a hiatal hernia and tomatoes will stir it up. I have to do tomatoes in moderation. A friend told me recently about orange tomatoes and some yellow that have a very low acid to them. I am going to look up in seed catalogs on line and see what I can find to grow this summer. Just a thought for you.

Everyone has offered great sauces, but I have a question, is it the acid in the tomatoes that triggers things. I have a hiatal hernia and tomatoes will stir it up. I have to do tomatoes in moderation. A friend told me recently about orange tomatoes and some yellow that have a very low acid to them. I am going to look up in seed catalogs on line and see what I can find to grow this summer. Just a thought for you.

My supermarket often has the yellow and orange tomatoes. They are much sweeter than the red one. And they do make a great sauce for pasta. My son's MIL buys them by the box. A good 20-40 pounds of them each year and puts them up for sauce. But then her whole family comes from Italy. It is what she has been doing since her wedding day.

I used to grow yellow pear and goldie tomatoes for my MIL for similar digestive issues.

I've never been impressed with the larger varieties of yellow or orange tomatoes, but the little yellow pears were great. And they look great in a mix with red grape tomatoes.

Thanks for the suggestion. I don't think it's the acid. I have osteoarthritis and inflammation makes it worse. Food like tomatoes, potatoes, bell peppers, etc. are members of the nightshade family. They have an alkaloid called solanine which can aggravate inflammation. Scientists are in disagreement about whether or not tomato has solanine. It does have a related alkaloid called tomatine. My guess is that whatever is bothering me in cooked tomatoes is made more bioavailable by cooking. I'm still in the process of figuring out which foods, and in which quantities, make my arthritis worse.

Here's a few I dug up..sorry if I repeat any that have already been posted.
Cajun Carbonara
Spaghetti with Anchovies
Chicken Prima Very
Beef Ragu

Attachments

• user34941_pic7757_1547427519.jpg
    user34941_pic7757_1547427519.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 147
  • user34941_pic7704_1545591035.jpg
    user34941_pic7704_1545591035.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 139
  • user34941_pic7707_1545591106.jpg
    user34941_pic7707_1545591106.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 153
  • user34941_pic7738_1546652642.jpg
    user34941_pic7738_1546652642.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:
Those look yummy Roch. Do you mind sharing recipes or directions for the Cajun Carbonara, the spaghetti with anchovies, and the beef ragu, please?

Those look yummy Roch. Do you mind sharing recipes or directions for the Cajun Carbonara, the spaghetti with anchovies, and the beef ragu, please?
With the Cajun carbonara I just subbed the bacon for Andouille(you could use Spanish Chorizo) and gave the egg mix a bit of Cajun seasoning before adding it to the cooked pasta..
The Beef ragu is a recipe I shared on here a few times..It is made with left over beef or steak..fry it up with onions and garlic , get a nice fond going then add some beef stock..I also add pepper, thyme and a bit of cracked allspice, then boil down to a nice concentrated beef broth...add your al dente pasta to the simmering broth and finish it in there..I've also embellished it with browning liquid and/or powdered beef base for extra umph..
Spaghetti with anchovies is pretty classic..olive oil, garlic, melt a few anchovies in there and then add pasta and bread crumbs fried in butter...

Last edited:
With the Cajun carbonara I just subbed the bacon for Andouille and gave the egg mix a bit of Cajun seasoning before adding it to the cooked pasta..
The Beef ragu is a recipe I shared on here a few times..It is made with left over beef or steak..fry it up with onions, garlic and mushrooms, get a nice fond going then add some beef stock..I also add pepper, thyme and a bit of cracked allspice, then boil down to a nice concentrated beef broth...add your al dente pasta to the simmering broth and finish it in there..I've also embellished it with browning liquid and/or powdered beef base for extra umph..
Spaghetti with anchovies is pretty classic..olive oil, garlic, melt a few anchovies in there and then add pasta and bread crumbs fried in butter...
Thank you, those sound delicious.

Thanks for the suggestion. I don't think it's the acid. I have osteoarthritis and inflammation makes it worse. Food like tomatoes, potatoes, bell peppers, etc. are members of the nightshade family. They have an alkaloid called solanine which can aggravate inflammation. Scientists are in disagreement about whether or not tomato has solanine. It does have a related alkaloid called tomatine. My guess is that whatever is bothering me in cooked tomatoes is made more bioavailable by cooking. I'm still in the process of figuring out which foods, and in which quantities, make my arthritis worse.

I hope you find something out to make you feel better. Good luck

Now, Taxy, have you tried any of the Non-Tomato-Sauce dishes yet?
I'm curious
Not yet. I'm actually most interested in sauces that I can use for ravioli or other stuffed pasta. I have used pesto on ravioli and that worked, but one of the butter, garlic, anchovy, cheese, wine, sauces sounds like it would be really good on stuffed pasta.

Not yet. I'm actually most interested in sauces that I can use for ravioli or other stuffed pasta. I have used pesto on ravioli and that worked, but one of the butter, garlic, anchovy, cheese, wine, sauces sounds like it would be really good on stuffed pasta.

MOST EXCELLENT!!!

Did that about a week ago with a new Ravs filling recipe (for us anyways) Cheese & Spinach. MMM! I got a new set of Rav cutters, one round and one square, loads of fun, much more so than the press.

018.jpg

017.jpg

I made one "sauce" with the butter, garlic, evoo, wine and cheese and then put whole Anchovy Fillets on DH's plate. I don't care for Anchovies much, at least not whole, but melted into a sauce, meh, sometimes.
I even shared a serving with Miss Neighbor-Across-The-Street and she loved it. She doesn't cook much for just herself.

cara! Wie geht es Ihnen? Was ist los?

How the heck are you? Still driving classic Mercs?

Thanks for asking, couldn't be better ;o)
Yes, we still have our old one, three really old ones and three younger ones, two sedans and a convertible, more or less daily drivers ;o)
Hope everything is okay with you?

Back
Top Bottom