Pasta with Red Sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
I have read that in Italy, pasta is all about the pasta itself, with the Sauce used to dress the pasta, like a seasoning. The pasta is combined with the sauce before it is served.

Growing up, my Dad would take me to dinners he shared with some good friends who made pasta this way, usually spaghetti. The ragu would be made, and the noodles cooked al dente. It would be combined together and placed in a very large roasting pan (3 adults and 4 teenage boys), then baked. It was very tasty, but much dryer than what we made, as the ragu and pasta were served separately.

I thought about this as lasagna is very similar to our freid's version of spaghetti. So I decided to experiment and combine the two different serving styles. I really enjoy a great tomato ragu with lots of meat, and veggies, well spiced, on my pasta. I also love the way that lasagna noodles absorb the sauce flavor as it's baking. So what I did was to make my ragu, add 2 cups of water to make it soupy, then add the uncooked pasta noodles directly to the sauce, where they absorb the sauce flavor as they hydrate, The end result is a sauce that is thick, and rich, with help from the pasta starch, and noodles that are al dente. This also makes the meal a one-pot dish.

Just sharing my observations in case anyone else would like to try this method. So what are your favorite ways to prepare your pasta with sauce?

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I make a number of Italian based dishes involving pasta and sauce.

1. Quick and easy pasta sauce: This sauce is made with minimal ingredients and has a bright, flavor. Really good with chicken parm.

2. Sunday Ragu: A long-cooked sauce with sausages and meatballs. A more hearty sauce enhanced by the flavors of the well-browned meats.

3. Shredded Beef Ragu: A true ragu that is more a meat sauce than a tomato sauce. I serve this with homemade tagliatelle. One of my big favorites!

4. Lasagna: I use a modified version of the lasagna recipe I got from Luca Lazzari, a member here. The sauce is a combination of a tomato sauce and béchamel. I like this recipe because it contains NO RICOTTA!

5. American Chop Suey: ...or Slumgullion, Johnny Marzetti, Goulash, etc. Just, ground beef, onion, garlic, green pepper, tomato paste and tomato.

6. Authentic Alfredo: Made with just butter, cheese and pasta.

7. American Alfredo: As above with the addition of cream and other add-in such as sautéed mushrooms or bacon.

8. Carbonara: My current favorite way to eat pasta. Parm Reg and Romano, egg, a pork product - bacon or pancetta, and lots of back pepper.

9. Macroni and Cheese: Stovetop only.

These are the major players in my kitchen. There's also puttanesca and a pork shoulder/country-style ribs ragu, but I don't make those as often.

Hey Andy, can you direct me to a couple of these recipes if they are posted?

I'd like Luca's lasagna and your Authentic Alfredo recipe if you have time to drop me a link.

The Alfredo got me wondering as I always thought the authentic Alfredo was a cream/parmesan sauce that you reduced. Thats what I have always done. I'm interested in your version.

You also now have me craving carbonara. I've used Dianne's recipe for years and it is the best. My kids request it regularly.

Here's the link to Luca's lasagna recipe. I made a couple of changes. I use Italian sweet sausage in place of the ground beef and 50/50 Parm Reg and Mozzarella a 100% Parm was overpowering.

https://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f20/luca-s-meat-lasagna-easy-recipe-franca-s-style-74951.html

These are the basic recipes I use for Alfredo and Carbonara. I sub bacon for the pancetta in the carbonara because I like the smoky flavor.

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2017/04/fettuccine-alfredo-sauce-italian-pasta-recipe.html

I sub bacon for the pancetta in the carbonara because I like the smoky flavor. And I use Parm Reg and Romano 50/50. P.S. truly authentic carbonara would use guanciale rather than pancetta or bacon but that's expensive and hard to find.

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2009/09/spaghetti-alla-carbonara-recipe.html

OMG - trying that Alfredo this week it looks amazing.

The carbonara is similar to mine, but my changes are: more bacon and egg yolk only, no whites.

Thanks Andy! I made a really nice red sauce yesterday and I'll use that in my lasagna.

Back
Top Bottom