Pearl Barley

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Gosh Gretchen, the mere mention of turnips reminds me of Chinese spring rolls. Alas sweet turnips are not available here, so on the few occasions when I had to prepare spring rolls for a party, I replaced them with the German variety. Now that it's pumpkin season, I think it's a good idea to use them instead.

Pearl barley can also be used as a healthy drink to 'cool' the system during hot days especially when you are nursing a bad sore throat. To prepare it, simply boil them in a pot of water. When the barley starts to soften, add sugar or honey. You can add a sprig of rose geranium or pandan leaves if available, to flavour it. Serve it with or without the barley. The uncooked barley can be used later in soups, stews etc.

Robinson's Lemon Barley Water is a staple in the UK, and has been since the 1930s. It is also a sponsor of the LTA's Wimbledon Fortnight every year. It really is good!

Ishbel said:
Robinson's Lemon Barley Water is a staple in the UK, and has been since the 1930s. It is also a sponsor of the LTA's Wimbledon Fortnight every year. It really is good!

I'm sure barley water with lemon tastes good but it can't beat the real stuff, free of preservatives and additives and that ie. homemade - cheap, healthy and good. Add lemon juice at the end if you like.

It has no additives. :) Water, barley, sugar and lemon juice (or orange juice).

Edited to add: it appears there is a low sugar version which uses saccharin instead of real sugar!

Last edited:
boufa06 said:
Gosh Gretchen, the mere mention of turnips reminds me of Chinese spring rolls. Alas sweet turnips are not available here, so on the few occasions when I had to prepare spring rolls for a party, I replaced them with the German variety.

I don't think I know what "sweet" turnips are--or the German ones either. ;o)Ours are either "white" (have a purple skin) or "yellow" (rutabagas).

Gretchen,
The sweet turnips are the Asian variety which are whitish in colour. They are either eaten raw in salads or cooked. The German ones have light purplish skin and taste almost like radish.

Barley makes a great side dish, I often cook it when I get tired of rice.
I also like to add it to my bean soup.
(Must add to grocery list, I'm out of stock):rolleyes:

boufa06 said:
Gretchen,
The sweet turnips are the Asian variety which are whitish in colour. They are either eaten raw in salads or cooked. The German ones have light purplish skin and taste almost like radish.

Thanks. I guess I do know them. Just didn't know the names.

FraidKnot said:
Not only is barley a great addition to soup but it makes a great side dish rather than rice.

1/3 cup pearl barley
1 cup of water or broth or stock
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. salt
1 Tbs. butter

Bring the water to a boil and add the barley, salt, pepper and butter. Cover and bake in a 325F oven for 30 minutes until the barley is tender. This is delicous as a side dish. Serves 2 and may be doubled.

I love barley but have only had it in soup - this sounds good, thanks!

Jillian !!! As me sainted grandmother would say, hogwash. More like Jill or the once used Jyl , equally hogwash lassie. My family settled in Pennsylvania, and the McQuown name is known in both Indianna and Rayne townships. Robespierre is the actual family name. We knew both Paine and Jefferson. Yeah, my forfather was executed. Strange twist of fate actually.

Back when our kids were toddlers and my husband was in graduate school, we ate barley pilaf quite a bit. It was filling, and the kids loved it. We did alot of lentils, too. We lived within walking distance of a health food store where i could buy quality product in bulk. I prefer it as a pilaf, don't care for it in soup at all.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom