Penne noodles vs noodles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

curly740

Assistant Cook
:cry: i'm going to ask a dumb question but i don't know what it means i was looking for a noodle can you tell me what the difference is when it has penne in front of the noodle thanks :cry:

Penne is just the particular shape of the noodle, a tube with the ends cut on the diagonal. Penne is Italian for quills, sometimes it is called Penne Rigate, that is for the shape with ridges along it, to help hold pasta sauces particularly thinner tomato ones.
My favourite name for a shape of pasta is orichiette (little ears!)

http://www.dolcevita.com/cuisine/pastadict/dict.htm

Kyles - I love orichiette too!!! I have a casserole I use them in - if I haven't posted it I will. I also like cavatapi (sp??) - will post that recipe too. I'll probably post these tomorrow - I'm enjoying a nice, relaxing Sunday evening 8) and I'm afraid thinking will hurt! ;)

coquille - if you put the term rigate after ANY shaped pasta it means it has the lines, or ridges in it - specifically rigate means striped. Now, it's just a matter of remembering the term "rigate" LOL.

Hi curly,

I see you're on the site right now - (waving frantically to say hi)

MIcook - It's amazing you and I can even make it back to this site without getting lost! :oops:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom