"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...
Click Here to Login

Old 03-12-2020, 08:54 PM   #1
Certified/Certifiable

Penne Rustica

I made this tonight for the first time ever, for guests who requested it. I followed this reckpe - https://www.food.com/recipe/romanos-...rustica-114360, and it came out so very good.
the young man who requested it said it was better than his mother's, and his mother's had been his favorite meal, bar none. I told him not to tell his mom. Oh, and I made a half-batch by simply dividing everything by two.

I changed several things from the original,after I made the sauce, I used the shells from the EZ Peel shrimp, put them into a sieve, and immersed them in the sauce as it reduced. This added a stronger shrimp flavor to the sauce..
Of course I removed them before adding to the sauce to the Penne Pasta. i first fried a good, thin-sliced smoky bacon until crisp. I poured off the excess bacon fat and added the butter. I used more shrimp, 16 to be exact, jumbo, and sauteed them in butter until they just started turning pink. I stirred them often to cook both sides. I poured the contents from the sautee pan into the Gratinada sauce. Oh, and Gratinada is French for Au Gratin. And finally, I used Pecorino-Romanominstead of Parmesano-Regiano,that I grated fresh. I also made my own bread crumbs from homemade bead, and toasted it in a pan on the stove top. I used sun-dried tomato, chopped, instead of pimentos.

I'd never had this dish before, and I have to say, it's darned tasty. It you want something pasta that isn't all tomato based, give this a try. It's a bit of work, but with proper set up of ingredients, it's pretty easy to make, and well worth the effort.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- https://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 08:56 AM   #2
Senior Cook

I’ve made this a few times years ago because this was one of my favorites from Macaroni Grill. It’s very good. Haven’t made it in a while because it calls for 2QTs off heavy cream!!
bbqcoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 11:54 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Chief, I know you were concerned before about the cup of Marsala wine in the recipe, and wonder what you did about that?
Glad your dinner was a success.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 04:21 PM   #4
Certified/Certifiable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Chief, I know you were concerned before about the cup of Marsala wine in the recipe, and wonder what you did about that?
Glad your dinner was a success.
I know that you're not supposed to use cooking wine in any dish that calls for cooking with wine. I checked the bottle contents and it just had salt added to the wine. I reduced the salt in the recipe and used the cooking wine. It worked great.

And, I halved the recipe as I had only 1 quart of heavy cream in the house. It still made plenty for 4 people.

Seeeeya; Cbief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- https://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
penne, recipe

Penne Rustica I made this tonight for the first time ever, for guests who requested it. I followed this reckpe - [URL="https://www.food.com/recipe/romanos-macaroni-grill-penne-rustica-114360"]https://www.food.com/recipe/romanos-macaroni-grill-penne-rustica-114360[/URL], and it came out so very good. the young man who requested it said it was better than his mother's, and his mother's had been his favorite meal, bar none. I told him not to tell his mom. Oh, and I made a half-batch by simply dividing everything by two. I changed several things from the original,after I made the sauce, I used the shells from the EZ Peel shrimp, put them into a sieve, and immersed them in the sauce as it reduced. This added a stronger shrimp flavor to the sauce.. Of course I removed them before adding to the sauce to the Penne Pasta. i first fried a good, thin-sliced smoky bacon until crisp. I poured off the excess bacon fat and added the butter. I used more shrimp, 16 to be exact, jumbo, and sauteed them in butter until they just started turning pink. I stirred them often to cook both sides. I poured the contents from the sautee pan into the Gratinada sauce. Oh, and Gratinada is French for Au Gratin. And finally, I used Pecorino-Romanominstead of Parmesano-Regiano,that I grated fresh. I also made my own bread crumbs from homemade bead, and toasted it in a pan on the stove top. I used sun-dried tomato, chopped, instead of pimentos. I'd never had this dish before, and I have to say, it's darned tasty. It you want something pasta that isn't all tomato based, give this a try. It's a bit of work, but with proper set up of ingredients, it's pretty easy to make, and well worth the effort. Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North 3 stars 1 reviews