Penne Rustica

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
I made this tonight for the first time ever, for guests who requested it. I followed this reckpe - https://www.food.com/recipe/romanos-macaroni-grill-penne-rustica-114360, and it came out so very good.
the young man who requested it said it was better than his mother's, and his mother's had been his favorite meal, bar none. I told him not to tell his mom. Oh, and I made a half-batch by simply dividing everything by two.

I changed several things from the original,after I made the sauce, I used the shells from the EZ Peel shrimp, put them into a sieve, and immersed them in the sauce as it reduced. This added a stronger shrimp flavor to the sauce..
Of course I removed them before adding to the sauce to the Penne Pasta. i first fried a good, thin-sliced smoky bacon until crisp. I poured off the excess bacon fat and added the butter. I used more shrimp, 16 to be exact, jumbo, and sauteed them in butter until they just started turning pink. I stirred them often to cook both sides. I poured the contents from the sautee pan into the Gratinada sauce. Oh, and Gratinada is French for Au Gratin. And finally, I used Pecorino-Romanominstead of Parmesano-Regiano,that I grated fresh. I also made my own bread crumbs from homemade bead, and toasted it in a pan on the stove top. I used sun-dried tomato, chopped, instead of pimentos.

I'd never had this dish before, and I have to say, it's darned tasty. It you want something pasta that isn't all tomato based, give this a try. It's a bit of work, but with proper set up of ingredients, it's pretty easy to make, and well worth the effort.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
I’ve made this a few times years ago because this was one of my favorites from Macaroni Grill. It’s very good. Haven’t made it in a while because it calls for 2QTs off heavy cream!!

Chief, I know you were concerned before about the cup of Marsala wine in the recipe, and wonder what you did about that?
Glad your dinner was a success.:chef:
I know that you're not supposed to use cooking wine in any dish that calls for cooking with wine. I checked the bottle contents and it just had salt added to the wine. I reduced the salt in the recipe and used the cooking wine. It worked great.

And, I halved the recipe as I had only 1 quart of heavy cream in the house. It still made plenty for 4 people.:yum:

Seeeeya; Cbief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom