Perfect rice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cafeandy

Senior Cook
i have cooked truckloads of rice successfully but there is still a mystery in it for me...

sometimes i like to cook rice and then embellish it later. how do you get it to have those perfect, separate grains an hour later?

Different types of rice have differerent results. I prefer basmati for that 'separate grains' results, also, a tbspoon of oil helps separate the grains. This is how I cook my rice. For every cup of rice, I use two cups of water, I salt the water, add oil, then when boiled, I add the rice and then simmer with the lid on.

When I lived in Louisiana, I was taught to rinse the rice first. That gets the excess starch off of the outside, and it won't be sticky.

I always forget to rinse my rice. Making a mental note to do that so I have separate grains. I think Jikoni's suggestion would work well too.

Yes, I recommend rinsing.

But I also suggest buying a dedicated rice cooker. They can be had for not very much money at all at an oriental shop.

I usually use 2 cups of rice to 3 cups of water and that works fine.

I agree with what was said about the type of rice being important.
You might wish to experiment.

Best regards,
Alex R.

Each bag of rice you will buy will absorb different amounts of liquid (depending on type, whether it is new or old crop rice), it takes a few attempts to get the right amount of liquid needed with a new bag of rice.

As people have mentioned previously rinsing the rice (you generally do this until the water runs clear, also vitally important to really shake all the water used to rinse it out, otherwise it might turn out too soggy due to excess liquid) is important. Rinsing is especially important if you are going to cook a rice pilaf (or pilau depending on your spelling), without rinsing a pilaf it can turn out quite gluggy even if the right amount of liquid is used.

I am sure this will sound like a stupid question but here goes anyway. I am thinking about getting a rice cooker. We use brown rice, that should cook fine in a rice cooker, right? I just find that it takes longer with brown rice on the stove. The brown rice is the reason I was thinking about a rice cooker. Thanks

Stinker said:
I am sure this will sound like a stupid question but here goes anyway. I am thinking about getting a rice cooker. We use brown rice, that should cook fine in a rice cooker, right? I just find that it takes longer with brown rice on the stove. The brown rice is the reason I was thinking about a rice cooker. Thanks
Stinker, you should check out the rice cooker thread, still going strong.

I love my rice cooker (10-cup Panasonic fuzzy logic), but it doesn't cook rice any faster. In fact, unless I use the "quick cycle," my model actually takes longer than on the stove because it includes a soak cycle. That is true on mine for both white and brown rice.

I've cooked brown rice, along with many other varieties, and I have always been totally pleased with the results. And I love how it keeps rice warm for hours, even though I've never let mine sit for more than a couple.

I prefer basmati for non-sticky rice. Last time I bought rice, however, I grabbed the wrong bag and it turned out to be arborio rice. Apparently, what makes some rice stickier than others is their gluten content. So while the arborio would probably be good if I wanted to make risotto, its not so great for plain old white rice.

cafeandy said:
i have cooked truckloads of rice successfully but there is still a mystery in it for me...

sometimes i like to cook rice and then embellish it later. how do you get it to have those perfect, separate grains an hour later?

Uncle Ben's. NOT their newly introduced "instant". UNCLE BEN's

cafeandy said:

Try this:

3 cups parboiled rice
3 cups water

2 Tbs. Oil of choice
2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp paprika
4 envelopes of chicken flavoring

Simmer for 17 minutes with lid on from boil point to finish. (dont mix during cooking or you'll end up with mush);)

Just for clarification in case it isn't known, "parboiled rice" is the kind of rice that Uncle Ben's is. There are a few others also and are marked on the box as "parboiled". These are also usually cheaper than UB's, of course.

I used to pre-wash rice until the water ran clear...It works..but can take several minutes...Now I just do the rice, water, salt, oil deal...Either on the stove or sometimes in a rice cooker and fluff...

Candocook said:
Just for clarification in case it isn't known, "parboiled rice" is the kind of rice that Uncle Ben's is. There are a few others also and are marked on the box as "parboiled". These are also usually cheaper than UB's, of course.

Parboiled rice works great. It doesnt get all sticky and mushy.:cool:

petey said:
Parboiled rice works great. It doesnt get all sticky and mushy.:cool:

You are EXACTLY right. Stays very "discrete" and nicely plump and chewy.
It is my DH's favorite and I think it is the reason he thinks risotto is poorly cooked rice!!

Candocook said:
You are EXACTLY right. Stays very "discrete" and nicely plump and chewy.
It is my DH's favorite and I think it is the reason he thinks risotto is poorly cooked rice!!
Well, there is a place for "discrete" rice, to be sure. But variety is the spice of life, to be trite. Different grains for different purposes. I love risotto, and i love the wonderful short- and medium-grain rices as well.

There is different rice for different recipes. I use the Japanese white rice and it cooks sticky for some recipes. I use the brown short grain organic rice for most of my recipes.

Try cooking the rice in the organic chicken broth. My Japanese friend taught me about rice. I follow her "lead". Enjoy all rice. My rice cooker works fine and yes it does keep it warm.

This is the way I cook my rice and it's never been sticky - even the next day.

Saute up some minced onion just till limp, add 1 lb. (~2 cups) basmati rice, stir till you start smelling that wonderful nutty aroma and the rice just begins to brown. Quickly add 1 qt. of HOT water or stock, drop in any additions you like (as a general rule of thumb, I add roasted pine nuts and dried cranberries), bring back to a boil; cover and turn heat to simmer and simmer without opening lid for 18 min. Remove the lid and fluff up rice with a fork, cover and let sit 5 min. Immediatey turn out onto one or two cookie sheets and stick in fridge to chill.

You are good to go at that point - freeze in family size pkgs., heat up in oven or microwave enough for dinner or pkg. up and keep for another day.

Back
Top Bottom