Polenta vs Grits, is it the same thing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Grits are white....polenta is yeller....otherwise the same thing...

Hominy grits are a whole differn't thang....;)
I've bought yellow grits in the grocery. So it's both evidently.

I cooked coush-coush last night, and don't see much difference to regular grits. Is there supposed to be?

Yeah, I've lived down here all my life, but must have led a sheltered cooking life. :rolleyes:

Grits with milk and sugar...yum yum.
My husband who was born in North Carolina always mashed his eggs with his grits.

Stone Ground Grits can be Yellow or White-----
Hominy Grits are white ------
Polenta can be Yellow or White -----

Coush-Coush is a cereal type dish made with corn meal (Yellow or White) The boiled meal is turned into a pre-heated very hot skillet containing oil (bacon drippings or lard) the skillet developes a toasty brown crust that is stirred back into cereal before serving with milk, butter, sugar or cane syrup. Coush-Coush is NOT grits.

Coush-Coush is a cereal type dish made with corn meal (Yellow or White) The boiled meal is turned into a pre-heated very hot skillet containing oil (bacon drippings or lard) the skillet developes a toasty brown crust that is stirred back into cereal before serving with milk, butter, sugar or cane syrup. Coush-Coush is NOT grits.
Thanks for that, I just wasn't satisfied with the outcome. I bet those bacon drippings would have made all the difference! :cool:

So far, Uncle Bob (per above) is virtually the ONLY one here, out of 4 pages, that has it 100% correct. The rest of you need to get out more - lol!!

Here we serve polenta in a dish with stuffed porcini (mushroooms),red beef,we make a dressing sauce with stuffed onions,olive oil,mushrooms,some tomatoe sauce,pepper,as always,all these ingredients need to be stirred for at least 45 minutes, in a big and large pot.
Polenta needs to cooked in a separate pot with a lot of hot water.

About Polenta

I'm not going to get into a discussion about girts vs. polenta but I want to clarify a couple of inaccurate statements made here about polenta.

In an earlier message it was stated that polenta is yellow and grits are white. True - but there is also white polenta. Moretti makes Polenta Bramata which is yellow and Bramata Bianca which is white. There is only a slight difference in taste. I've attached some pictures of the packages.

Polenta is served in many different ways - not just sliced and fried. When polenta is allowed to cool and get firm it can be sliced, broiled, fried etc etc. Lately it's become trendy to use little rounds of firm polenta as a base for appetizers and canapes.

Traditionally, in Ialian-American households it is cooked to a thick mush and served with tomato sauce (with meatballs, sausage, trippa etc). In years past it was served communally on a board in the center of the table. Everyone would take a fork and eat their way to the middle.

Polenta can also be served in a very creamy preparation. The longer polenta cooks the smoother it gets. Here's a favorite way of mine for preparintg polenta. The recipe calls for yellow cornmeal but I also use white polenta for this.

Polenta and Kale

4 cups water
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1 pound kale, stemmed and cut into 1 inch pieces
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
Salt and pepper to taste
1 cup grated Romano cheese

In a medium saucepan bring salted water to a boil. Add cornmeal to the boiling water in a slow steady stream stirring constantly. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 30 to 45 minutes stirring very frequently (almost constantly), until a smooth and creamy consistency is reached.

While the polenta is cooking, steam the kale until tender. When the kale is cooked, heat oil in a skillet large enough to hold all the kale. Add garlic and sauté briefly. Add kale and continue to sauté for another minute or so, tossing to coat the kale with oil. Salt and pepper to taste. When the polenta is cooked stir in grated Romano cheese. Pour polenta into the middle of a serving dish. Top with sautéd kale and serve. Serves 4 as a side dish.

Attachments

• polenta white.jpg
    polenta white.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 376
  • polenta yellow.jpg
    polenta yellow.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 367
Jim C said:
In an earlier message it was stated that polenta is yellow and grits are white. True - but there is also white polenta.

Jim, I'm sure you didn't mean to infer that grits are only white, but for clarification Grits (Stone Ground) can be yellow or white also -- depending on the corn that's used.

Have Fun & Enjoy!

Wow, I guess Uncle Bob wasn't too convincing with his explanation, as the debate rages on.

BTW, I WAS joking about the Mason-Dixon Line. Just trying to put a little levity into the conversation. I'm going back to the bread page before things get really heated up here and I get deep fried or boiled.:LOL:

By your use of smilies, I knew you were joking and as I have gotten to know you here I have learned more about your sense of humor. I don't believe you are trying to start anything and I have witnessed more of these North/South foodie arguments than I care to remember.

On my old board there were ridiculous arguments over whether cornbread should have sugar in it. Evidently, "real cornbread" does not contain sugar if you are from the South. What I never understood is why people can't make the kind of cornbread or journeycake they desire? Just enjoy! Vive la difference!!!

Back
Top Bottom