Quails sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MicheleFromPisa

Assistant Cook
Ciao a tutti,

an user of the forum tells me if I have a recipe for a quails sauce. The following recipe come from south of Umbria, the land of my ancestors.

The recipe is very simple and fit not only for quails, but also for many other types of wild birds, like rock or wood pigeon.

Ingredients for 4 persons:
4 quails
100 gr of butter
1 onion
150 gr of smoked bacon breaked up
200 gr of chicken broth
A bit of robust red wine
1 (one!) clove
rosemary
1 leaf of bay laurel
salt, black pepper

Cut off the meat from the breasts of the quails and break it up.
In a large pan put the butter, the onion grated, the just breaked up meat, the bacon, the bay laurel leaf, the clove, and adjust of salt and pepper.

Let all the ingredients color and add a bit of red wine. Let evaporate then add the quails carcases, the broth and the rosemary. Decrease the fire to the minimum, and let cook for at least 1 hour and 1/2.
After, a small quantity of broth should remain in the sauce.
Once make cold, then cut away the meat from the carcases also. Add the meat well cutted to the sauce and discard bones.
The sauce is ready!

For this sauce, I suggest to use long, egg-based pasta (like fettuccine or tagliatelle).

Buona domenica
Michele

Last edited:
Mille grazie Michele! I have been looking for a recipe like this but I couldn't find it on the internet. It's my favorite dish to order at an excellent Italian restaurant here with a very charming chef from Piemonte.

Ciao!

Mille grazie Michele! I have been looking for a recipe like this but I couldn't find it on the internet. It's my favorite dish to order at an excellent Italian restaurant here with a very charming chef from Piemonte.

Ciao!

I hope that my recipe adhere as much as possible to that of your favourite chef.
A note: i've slightly changed the recipe (I forget a touch of wine;)).
Ciao, Michele

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom