Ravioli always split open

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Der Meisterkoch

Assistant Cook
So I know this topic has been discussed ad nauseam and many people are probably thinking, "there's a million posts on the web this guy can find already", but, unfortunately, none of the advice has helped. I've made several batches of cheese ravioli and they always burst when cooking. I press the ricotta to drain so it's not watery. I've gone so far as to only roll my pasta to a 5 vs 6 on with my KitchenAid so it's not too thin. I don't boil. In fact, the last batch I didn't even simmer. I heated the water and placed in frozen ravioli for 5 minutes till they floated. The water never reached a simmer, but they all burst in the middle regardless. I go through pain staking efforts to get every bit of air out, more than anything in any video I've watched. The seals stay closed, but they all split in the middle of the pocket. Could it be the pasta itself? Any ideas?

This usual suspect when ravioli burst is air inside the rav. The air expands as it heats and bursts the pasta.

When filling and sealing the rav, make sure all air spaces are eliminated before sealing.

Hello MasterCook, Welcome to DC!

So you are taking extra care to get rid of the air, then...
When yu say it splits in the middle, are you folding your ravioli? or are you doing two separate pieces of pasta?

If you are folding, it sounds like your pasta may be too dry? or perhaps too thick?

What is your recipe for the pasta? and I guess while you're at it, what's the recipe for the ricotta n cheese?

I thought maybe it was too dry. I do 1 egg per 100 g of flour. I often end up adding some water as I knead cause it seems dry. Filling is one egg per container of ricotta, about a quarter cup parm, parsley, salt, pepper. Also, I do think it is difficult to get the air out when using the folding technique. But it's quick and easy.

Making ravioli with two sheets is easy, and produces very good ravioli. Part of you issue may be the filling. Ricotta has significant eater in.it, which will turn to steam, expand in heat, and can birst you little pillos of goodnes. Try using a less wet cheese, such as dtaind small curd cottage cheese, mixed with the other ingredients you mentioned. Omit the raw egg from the filling, as it too has significant water in it.
Also, make two rectangular sheets of pasta. Lay down the first sheet on a floured surface. Brosh pasta with beaten egg.
Place a tsp. of filling in even rows, and collums. Place 2nd sheet on top, and use fingers tp press into pillows. I find that it's easier to start at one end, pressing down carefully to remove excess air. When all pillows are formed, use a shot glass dipped in flour to cut the raviolies apart. This will seal the edges. Fill a suitable pot with water, and a tbs or so of salt. Bring to a rolling boil. Reduce heat to simmer, and brush raviolies with olive oil. Place in simmering water until they float. Don't put too many in the pot. Cook in batches. Ose a slotted spoon, or spyder to remove raviolies to a bowl. Fold in your favorite sauce to prevent the pillows from sticking together. Look up a good pasta dough recipe on line, and use a high protien flour.

This should help.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Actually, one egg per 100 grams of flour sounds right. The problem is that it is a European recipe and I think their eggs are bigger. The Danish recipe site that I frequent says that a size 2 egg weighs about 70g, which is what is used in the recipes on that site. That would be a US jumbo egg. Maybe look for a recipe that tells you how many grams of egg to use per 100 grams of flour or how much an egg weighs. If your eggs aren't big enough for that recipe, it would explain why the dough feels a bit dry. Here's a chart of USDA standard egg sizes: https://weightofstuff.com/how-much-does-an-egg-weigh/

Two things immediately spring to mind. The first is that the pasta is too dry - that has been addressed in other posts. The other could be that there´s too much filling in the ravioli.

I agree, the pasta is probably too dry. Adding water is just fine though so I would not worry about the size of the egg - as long as they are at least large or ex-large.

Another point which I've just remembered is like most doughs - they need to rest!

Here's a recipe from my sister that I've been using for the last 15 years. I've never had a problem with it.

RECEIPE for Pasta, done in Food Processor
2 cups flour
3 eggs
1 Tb Olive Oil
1 tsp Salt
Process above until crumbly.
Dump out onto wax Paper. Shape into a mass.
Tear off walnut-sized pieces and feed back in the processor thru its tube. one at a time.
Add 1 to 2 Tb warm water if needed (I always do). Process for 1 minute
until it all goes into a ball.

Dump out and wrap securely, let rest for 30 minutes.
Cut into 6 balls (1 ball for each person.) wrap and freeze if you want to.

It takes about 1/2 hour to defrost a ball or two, then I use my 'noodle cutting' machine, etc.
I sprinkle flour over where the pasta gets laid out, and 'slap dab' the pasta each time it gets rolled thinner.

When cooking, only boil this fresh pasta about 3 to 4 minutes in salted water.

Yes, this is done in a food processor which I do use 95% of the time.
I have made it by hand and it works just fine. Just mix it as you would any pasta recipe.

I think the important step is to allow the flour to re-hydrate sufficiently. I use regular All-purpose flour, nothing special.

I have heard that their aggs are bigger. And it was, in fact a European recipe. So that explains why my dough is dry. But alas, I actually figured out why they are splitting. Or when they are splitting, I should say. I pulled a batch out of the freezer just now and noticed fissures on top of the pillows that lookked like the way they split in the water. I dropped one in hot, not boiling water and sure enough, it opened almost immediately when it thawed. So I took them out after a minute and baked them with sauce and cheese as a ravioli parm. So now the question, why are they cracki g upon freezing. I'm going to try some of the recipes you folks provided and look forward to continuing my ravioli journey. Everyone has been so helpful. It's greatly appreciated. I think the dry dough is contributing to the cracking while freezing though.

As water freezes, it expands. The dough freezes fitst, and so can not stretch. When the filling expands, it causrs the dough to crack. Boil you freshly made raviolies before filling.
Make sure that they aren't filled too full. Remove all air before boiling. Brush with olive oil whem they are done. You should be able to frrrxe them. Another trick would to be to freeze dollops of filling on parchment paper. Place dollops onto dough, and form the pillows. The filling won't expand and crack the dough.

Hope these sugestions help.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

On the other hand, I often, well, almost always, freeze both my Ravioli and Won tons and other pasta filled and ready to cook. I've never had a problem.

So, I'm still guessing it's the dough. Too dry or not rested long enough for the dough to rehydrate. Perhaps you are adding too much flour as you roll out your dough?

Hoppla, entschuldigung.... MasterChef! :angel:

So I know this topic has been discussed ad nauseam and many people are probably thinking, "there's a million posts on the web this guy can find already", but, unfortunately, none of the advice has helped. I've made several batches of cheese ravioli and they always burst when cooking. I press the ricotta to drain so it's not watery. I've gone so far as to only roll my pasta to a 5 vs 6 on with my KitchenAid so it's not too thin. I don't boil. In fact, the last batch I didn't even simmer. I heated the water and placed in frozen ravioli for 5 minutes till they floated. The water never reached a simmer, but they all burst in the middle regardless. I go through pain staking efforts to get every bit of air out, more than anything in any video I've watched. The seals stay closed, but they all split in the middle of the pocket. Could it be the pasta itself? Any ideas?
If this is you using Frozen maybe you just need to change brands. I have used the big Kroger beef ravioli in the family section of the Frozen section many times and I boil the water and drop them in and then remove them as they float up to the top and I never had one fall apart. Try a different brand if that's what's happening. Or if you're making them try thicker.

Hey there Texmex. You do realize that this thread is from last year? ;) Which is fine, I think it's great to revive old threads, I love rereading some of them.

But the OP was really talking about homemade ravioli, not store bought. Had it been store bought I totally agree with you about trying a different brand.

Lately I've been buying those packages that are fresh from the store. I open the pack and separate in 3 or 4 meals into separate little baggies and freeze them.
With these I find, once the water boils, add the ravioli and almost immediately turn down to a very gentle boil. If I don't keep a close eye on them quite a few will come open and the stuffing escapes.
I really have to make a batch of dough soon. Nothing like fresh pasta whether stuffed or not! LOL
And thanks again for reviving this thread!

Back
Top Bottom