Rice in all its glory!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zhizara

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
Having made a prepackaged long grain & wild rice and having it taste chalky, I've decided to make my own. Wild rice is available at my local supermarket, and I always have regular rice on hand.

Can anyone share their recipes with me? I'm looking for TNTs.:chef:

Last edited:
Hummmm....I'm not sitting on a great rice recipe myself Zhi, but, if I COULD help, I would! :) Secret? - I didn't even know what a risotto was until Hells Kitchen debuted. *tellz on me, I killz u* LOL HAHAHA

Hummmm....I'm not sitting on a great rice recipe myself Zhi, but, if I COULD help, I would! :) Secret? - I didn't even know what a risotto was until Hells Kitchen debuted. *tellz on me, I killz u* LOL HAHAHA

Speaking of Rissoto, I just can't imagine standing there for all that time just stirring. My back wouldn't allow for it anyway.:ohmy:

Only when I make a gravy do I "sit on it like an egg", as for how many people I have been called "donkeys" for making that rice dish wrong, I have a strange desire to at least try it(eating), but, NEVER to make it!!

Only when I make a gravy do I "sit on it like an egg", as for how many people I have been called "donkeys" for making that rice dish wrong, I have a strange desire to at least try it(eating), but, NEVER to make it!!

I would like to try it too, but I'm not about to make it.

Goodnight, MM, I finally got all the posts read.:LOL:

Night to you too!!
This site is still far too interesting to me...I could read things here happily forever...its even neater when you get to "know" people, & be able to match their user names & such...I hope to log in tomorrow, & hope that SOMEONE else has useful rice info for you at least...another confession...GAH...I use Uncle Bens, &, Rice-a-Roni too at times...when I want nice, sticky rice, I leave it to the pros, & just pop into a chiinese take-out to order rice. *hangs head in shame*
C-ya tomorrow!! :)

Zhizara,
If you want to make rissota and you back won't
let you stand there Use your pressure cooker.if
you want to try it let me know and I willl hunt the
recipe

Josie

Zhizara,
recipe

Josie

Thanks, anyway, Josie. I don't really want to try it that bad. Maybe someday in a restaurant to have it the right way.

No pressure cooker any more and as much as I liked having one in the past, I'd rather just cook things on the stove or in the oven.

For the same reason, I can't talk myself into a crockpot. I love perfuming the house with a slow cooking pot on the stove that I have to get up and stir once in a while.

I would appreciate it if whoever changes the titles of my threads, would let me know the reason so that I can title my future threads correctly. Thank you.

Here is a chart on cooking times and amounts to use for all kinds of rice. I have this page laminated and taped to the inside of my cupboard door.

http://www.goodfoodstore.com/PDF/BulkPreparationGuides/Rice.pdf

Those methods probably work, but at least the one for brown basmati is less than optimal. I put 1 cup of rice and 1/4 tsp salt in 2 cups of water, bring to a boil, boil for 5-10 minutes (7 minutes on my stove), simmer with lid for ~30 minutes with no need to let it sit. But, brown basmati is very forgiving. DH was supposed to turn off the rice while I was grocery shopping. He forgot. I turned it off 1 1/2 hours late and it was fine!

Last edited:
I was hoping to find not so much the ratio of white rice to wild, but for ideas for add ins.

For instance the RAR package I bought had a spice packet.

It wasn't very good, but that's basically what I'm looking for, seasonings, and/or add-ins that make it really special even if you start with a packaged mix.

Speaking of Rissoto, I just can't imagine standing there for all that time just stirring. My back wouldn't allow for it anyway.:ohmy:

If you have a rice cooker you can make a pretty decent "faux" risotto in that. Or in the oven.

I have no help on the wild rice though. >.< Just not a fan of it for some reason; probably because I tried a boxed / bagged version that just wasn't up to par and I've never bothered trying it again.

If you have a rice cooker you can make a pretty decent "faux" risotto in that. Or in the oven.

I have no help on the wild rice though. >.< Just not a fan of it for some reason; probably because I tried a boxed / bagged version that just wasn't up to par and I've never bothered trying it again.

In the past, I've used Uncle Ben's and loved it, but I probably picked up the RAR because of price, figuring it would taste the same. Not so. Chalky.

RAR used to have a better product. They changed my favorite Oriental flavor that I liked to cook up with kielbasa and onion for a good one dish meal. I bought some recently and it no longer had the slivered almonds, and it just didn't taste good enough that I would ever make it again.:mad:

Last edited:
Zhizara,
recipe

Josie
Yes please!!

I would appreciate it if whoever changes the titles of my threads, would let me know the reason so that I can title my future threads correctly. Thank you.

Hey Zhizara, I haven't been on all day but I can hopefully shed a bit of light here. We try to get the thread title to reflect the content of the thread as closely as possible. So, for example, I would change something titled "Crockpot?" to "ISO best crockpot for a large family" if that were what the thread was indicating. Just an attempt to make things a bit more specific for those who search with Google. Does that help?

Now as for the wild rice blend. If you can put together types of rice that require the same cooking times I think you would be OK. I buy the rice blends in a big tub and add my own stock to cook it in. The best one I got recently had just a bit of wild rice, brown rice, red rice, spelt and white rice in it. It was FANTASTIC cooked with beef boullion.

I just cooked up some brown rice, left it plain. I cooked talapia in butter with a bit of seasoning. After I removed the talapia, I stirred the cooked rice into the pan...seasoned it just right. I do that alot with rice, just stirring it into whatever panjuices I have left.

I like making a chunky soup or chili and adding it over rice. Chopped broccoli, sauteed onions. Cooking the rice in broth or stock. Diced chicken with whatever seasoning you like...chinese, mexican, etc.

Risotto is not hard to prepare.....it is a bit time consuming, but well worth it....and sometimes I have pre made it and then put more hot stock in it just before serving, then the cheese and it tastes just fine.

Z. if you can find it...not sure it's at Wal-mart. Lundberg Rice company makes Quick risotto mixes that are very good. And you don't have to stand and stir.

Back
Top Bottom