Rice in all its glory!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think I'll start with Jasmine. When you mentioned aroma, that's what I thought of, so I guess it should be first. I love making the house smell good with cooking.:chef:
I love jasmine for fried rice.

The multi colored rice blends smell wonderful. I'm not sure what the blend was but mom's blends were very colorful.

Thanks, Alix. I copied it to my Favorites so I can read it later.

$8 a pound seems like a lot, but as a retired lady, I also need to treat myself to a few nice things in my remaining years.

And that's the CHEAPER stuff I found! I buy one of those big tub things and its about 1kg and $7.99. I made a mistake last time and picked up one with dried cranberries and almonds in it. I picked the cranberries out but the almonds were tasty.

I wish you all would stop changing the name of threads!!

When cook rice in the restaurant or at home, can do it one of two ways. One way is to cook it just like pasta. Lots of water, salt or other flavorings, boil it and stir it until it is done to your liking. Then I take it off of the heat drain it, rinse and let sit in cold water until it is cooled, then drain again. This method gives you a finished rice product you can use anyway you like if you want to add things to it, fry it up, or just reheat it in the microwave as a side dish.
When I wish to cook it in with ingredients like a paella or jambalaya, I always use the 2.25 to 1 ratio of water/liquid to rice. I simmer it and keep cooking stock or water handy to add near the end if, and when, the rice absorbs the liquid. I just add a bit and stir unil the rice is done. I always pull the dish before all of the liquid is absorbed because the hot rice will continue to cook and this will prevent the dish from becoming a big clump.
Sometimes cook the rice in water and pull it when it is al dente, drain it in a wire strainer which fits well inside the cooking pot. I sit the strainer full of hot rice in the pot and cover it with the lid and let it finish off with its own steam.

Last edited:
I have been known to use chicken or beef broth/stock/boullion granules or cubes and also dried herb/spice blends. It just depends on what I am serving with the rice. I also like adding things like mushroooms or cooked beans (drained if canned). Also chopped chicken or meat. I love to make a mexican type rice by cooking it in chicken broth and taco seasoning and then adding in black beans, chopped cilantro and lime juice at the very end.

Yes, jasmine rice smells wonderful!

I grew up in Northern MN. My dad would buy 50# burlap sacks of wild rice every fall. We ate wild rice with everything--much like other families ate potatoes--potatoes were always a treat for us (something other than wild rice). I will see if I can put my hands on my wild rice pilaf mix. It has lentils, wild rice, raisins, cinnamon, brown or white rice in it, I can't remember what all, it has been awhile since I made it. It is a mix that you can make (great hostess gift). But, the way we always made wild rice as a side was thus:

1. Rinse the wild rice in hot water (if you want to cut down the cooking time, soak for 30 minutes in hot water).
2. Bring a pot of water (or chicken or beef stock) to a boil (the ratio of water to rice is 3:1).
3. Add the rinsed rice to the boiling water, reduce the heat. After 20 minutes (brown rice or red rice), after 30 minutes (white rice) equalling 1/3 of the amount of wild rice. If you want to add celery, onions, or mushrooms, add when you add the other rice. I often toss in pearl barley and lentils.
4. Simmer the rice until the wild rice "pops" (splits). Depending on the grade of the wild rice and if it is cultivated or wild, it takes about 55-65 minutes. If it hasn't popped and almost all the water is absorbed, add more water. Leftover wild rice (something I rarely have), freezes well.

To me, wild rice is the taste of home. I stock up whenever I go to MN. I bring wild rice back for my friends. Last summer, I paid $2.29 / pound in August at the grocery store. And yes, my father still buys it in bulk, but the burlap bags are now 20# bags. And, you can buy precooked wild rice in #10 cans in the grocery stores where my parents are in Northern MN.

We use it for everything--pancakes, bread, stuffing, casseroles (ham, water chestnuts, broccoli and cream of mushroom soup or a homemade cream of mushroom sauce), salads (wild rice, green grapes, almonds, mayo) side dishes, and even for breakfast (wild rice, cinnamon, splash of maple syrup, and raisins--one of my favorites). I love wild rice. I love the smell of it cooking, the taste of it smothered with just butter, sea salt, and pepper, the texture, everything about wild rice. Along with Janssen's Temptation, it is definitely one of my all-time comfort foods. The only thing I don't like about wild rice is harvesting it, that is hard work (did that once--easier to buy it than harvest it and process it).

I'll look for the pilaf recipe today. Now I have to get back to work.

K.

Yes, OP is original poster, and now, back to rice.

Zhizara, I was messing around on Amazon and you can get 9lbs of rice for $20~. They are the nice blends, three different types. If you are going to spend the money you might as well get some variety.

When my wife was on a special diet, we couldn't use any pre-packaged mixes, so
I came up with this mix. We liked it.

All spices and flavorings are dry.
1 TBSP Chicken Buillion
1 tsp dried minced onion
1 TBSP Parsley minced
1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
1/2 tsp Minced Garlic
1/2 tsp Cumin
1/4 tsp Ginger
1/2 tsp Pepper
2 tsp Seasoned Salt

Even when using the box stuff, I always saute some onion, garlic,
sweet bell peppers and celery first. Those would be good in your own too.

What is OP? or who is OP?

I is OP. I originated the thread so OP is Original Poster.

I asked Alix to rename the thread because were were getting into a very interesting discussion about ALL rice.

I also wanted something cute to attract the attention of other DCers so they'd get involved.

Thanks Alix.:LOL:

Oh well, thanks for trying. I'm pretty limited to Sav A Lot and Walmart here. There aren't a lot of fancy stores here on the West Bank, especially after Katrina.

Check out the Hong Kong Market in Gretna (925 Behrman Hwy) Not sure if they have blends....but tons of rice variety. Look on the left.. just inside the front door.

Fun!

PS....Lots of rice seasonings too!!

Easy Rice recipe for you. Tastes yummy but has a strange name. It was brought home by my MIL from a church pot luck to her family. They had no name for it and one of her children piped up and called it Ralph. It's been Ralph ever since. In spite of the name, it's a tasty and easy one pot dish, though it wasn't in the beginning. I've just altered the cooking technique to transform it from a rice casserole to a stove top meal.

Ingredients:
1 cup brown rice (long grain white rice if you prefer it)
1 stalk celery, sliced
1 onion, chopped
1 lb. ground beef
1 pkg. Liptons Chicken Noodle Soup with meat
1 tsp. chicken soup base
1/2 tsp. rubbed sage (optional)
1/4 tsp. ground pepper (optional)
2 3/4 cups water (2 1/2 cups if using white rice)

In a three quart lidded pot, without the lid, brown the ground beef. Add all other ingredients. Reduce heat to simmer and cover. Cook for 1 hour if using the brown rice, or 45 minutes with white rice. serve with butter.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Easy Rice recipe for you. Tastes yummy but has a strange name. It was brought home by my MIL from a church pot luck to her family. They had no name for it and one of her children piped up and called it Ralph. It's been Ralph ever since. In spite of the name, it's a tasty and easy one pot dish, though it wasn't in the beginning. I've just altered the cooking technique to transform it from a rice casserole to a stove top meal.

Ingredients:
1 cup brown rice (long grain white rice if you prefer it)
1 stalk celery, sliced
1 onion, chopped
1 lb. ground beef
1 pkg. Liptons Chicken Noodle Soup with meat
1 tsp. chicken soup base
1/2 tsp. rubbed sage (optional)
1/4 tsp. ground pepper (optional)
2 3/4 cups water (2 1/2 cups if using white rice)

In a three quart lidded pot, without the lid, brown the ground beef. Add all other ingredients. Reduce heat to simmer and cover. Cook for 1 hour if using the brown rice, or 45 minutes with white rice. serve with butter.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North
Silly question but why do you put beef and chicken together?

Check out the Hong Kong Market in Gretna (925 Behrman Hwy) Not sure if they have blends....but tons of rice variety. Look on the left.. just inside the front door.

Fun!

PS....Lots of rice seasonings too!!

Thanks very much, UB. I copied down the address and info. I'll have to see if I can talk my neighbor into taking me.

Thanks too, for the yummy looking recipe. I printed myself a copy to try.

Last edited:
I'll be shopping tomorrow, I'll look to see if they have anything fancy to try. I am going to get the wild rice.

So far I'm seeing some nice add ins. I know I'll be adding some of the dried green onions I found. Its a good size jar and I've used most of it up in just a few weeks.

Red rice is also called cargo rice. Where I live (SE ON), it is in the Thai food section in the grocery store. Probably available in ethnic groc. stores. Cargo rice/red rice has a nutty flavour--takes about 45 minutes to cook. Nice addition to rice dishes.

And, BTW, wild rice is not a rice, it is the seeds of an aquatic grass and the state grain of the state of MN.

K.

Back
Top Bottom