Seafood Paella (Untried)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brooksy

Sous Chef
RRH posted a question on Calasparra Rice. I found an article and this recipe and I thought it a real beaut.Here is the full article and another recipe.
Courtesy:
Brigitte Hafner
August 2, 2005

Seafood paella

INGREDIENTS
6 tbsp olive oil
6 large prawns
250g calamari or cuttlefish, cleaned and cut into rings
salt and pepper
1 onion, finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
3 tomatoes, skinned and finely chopped
1/4 tsp saffron
2 tsp sweet paprika
1 litre water
1/3 cup peas
400g Calasparra rice
150g white fish such as flathead, snapper or ling, cut into large pieces
12 mussels, cleaned
2 lemons, cut into wedges
2 tbsp chopped parsley

METHOD

· Heat a paella pan, then add two tablespoons of the olive oil, then the prawns and calamari. Cook for a few minutes until brown all over and season with salt and a little pepper. Remove to a bowl while you prepare the sofrito.

· Follow the instructions in the recipe, right, adding the oil to the same pan (this is where all the flavour is) but omitting the capsicum.

· Lightly roast the saffron and dissolve in two tablespoons of water, as in recipe at right. Put the paella pan back on a medium heat. Put in the prawns, calamari and paprika and cook, stirring for a couple of minutes. Now add the water and bring to the boil. Taste the mixture - it should be very tasty, if not add salt.

· Add the saffron, peas and the rice and bring to the boil. Stir briefly then turn to a low heat. Place the pieces of fish and mussels over the rice and poke them in a little so they can cook. Do not stir any more.

· Cook the paella 15-18 minutes or until the rice is plump and almost soft - it should be a little resilient. Turn the heat to high and cook a couple more minutes. Any remaining liquid will boil away and a crust will form on the bottom of the pan. Remove from the heat and cover with a tea towel for 10 minutes; uncover and leave to rest for another 5-10 minutes before serving.

· Squeeze over the lemon juice and sprinkle with chopped parsley. Serve directly from the pan.

Serves: 6

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom