"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...
Click Here to Login

Old 04-03-2018, 02:01 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Small amounts of beans

It looks like I’m going to be making a lot of beans in the near future. I know that cooking up a heaping batch in a 7 quart Dutch oven is the popular thing. I know you can flavor each bowlful a different way for variety during the week, or you can use them as an ingredient in other recipes, but I just want to make, say, two portions at a time.

So, 1. Can I presoak beans and then drain and refrigerate them? And 2. Do I soak and cook a small amount of beans the same way I’d cook a standard amount?

Old 04-03-2018, 03:54 AM   #2
Master Chef

If I need a small amount of beans I reach for a can.

If I need a small amount of beans on a regular basis I make a big batch and freeze them in meal-sized containers.

I would not soak and refrigerate beans for fear that they would begin to sprout and or mold. I would use the quick soak method of bringing the beans to a rolling boil for one minute and letting them sit covered in the liquid for an hour before starting the recipe.

I think trying to bake a small amount of beans might lose something but for soups or stews a small amount would be fine.

Good luck!
Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 04:54 AM   #3
Head Chef

I cook beans and then freeze them on sheets in the fridge and then put them in bags, easy way of single freezing them and I can take as munch beans as I need.
Old 04-03-2018, 05:31 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Thanks guys, great suggestions! I really like the freezing thing, it looks oh so handy.
Old 08-01-2020, 08:55 AM   #5
Assistant Cook

Lightbulb Cook small amount of beans FAST!

I am a BIG fan of beans. Beans of different types. I don't eat them much because of one issue - the TIME it takes to prepare them. I know there are canned, precooked, beans but lets rule them out because that's what I use already. I get bag beans a lot for nothing, from people who don't like the wait and wind up giving them away.

Did a lot of searching around the web without finding anything about how to fix them fast. By fast, I mean about 15 minutes. I want to fix only a meal's worth at a time. There is no refrigeration so any leftovers are discarded. This is for on the road/outdoor use mainly, but will be applied to home. Not into soaking all night and cooking all day. When I come into the kitchen I'm already hungry and want to eat 5 minutes ago!

That's bag to plate in no more than 15-20 minutes.

Open to new, innovative, ideas and machines. This is a wish from a non-cook.
bbhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 10:50 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

I make dry beans no soaking in my Instant Pot. Place 1 cup dry beans in IP cover with 3 cups water. High pressure, vent - sealed, 35 minutes. 20 minute natural release.
msmofet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 11:26 AM   #7
Assistant Cook

Question Fast - Fast - No refrigeration

Remember. I'm already hungry when I go into the kitchen or start to prepare food.
There is no refrigeration on the road or camping.
Amount is for one meal only. Excess will be thrown away.

Preparation needs to be 20 minutes max.

Tall order.
bbhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 11:35 AM   #8
Head Chef

Welcome to the forum, bbhank!

I'm another one that uses my Instant Pot for almost all of my beans and lentils. And many lentils don't even need a pressure cooker mode - around 20 minutes simmering. I wouldn't put beans in the freezer, unless they are in a cooked dish. But even thawing something, and heating in the MW, might take longer than 20 minutes. But then, speed, not quality, is why prepared foods are so popular.
Old 08-01-2020, 11:45 AM   #9
Certified/Certifiable

soak beans overnight. Drain and rinse them/ Put the beans into your pressure cooker with enough water water to cover by three inches,and a tbs. of alt.. Cook under pressure for twenty minutes.

Release the pressure according to your pressure cooker instructions. Remove the lid.

Test the beans. It is essential that they are cooked all the way through, and soft, before adding any acidic ingredients, such as tomat or, yellow mustard (contains vintage). If the beans are very firm yet, put the lid back on, bring back up to pressure, and cook for another ten minutes. Add onion powder, a quarter cup of dark brown sugar, 1 tbs yellow mustard, 11/2 can of tomato paste, and 1/4 tsp. liquid smoke. Let cook for ten minutes. Divide into servings. Beans freeze well; so you can freeze in portions.

Of course making a classic recipe of baked beans, slowly baked in the oven takes hours, but is so worth it, as the flavors go all through the beans. You just have to plan ahead, and set a time and date to make them. Then, portion them ut and freeze, or can them. You can't make beans from dried in 15 minutes. But you can make enough so that you can take a portion out of the freezer, or jar, and and heat in the microwave for a few minutes.

There are several good baked bean recipes in DC. Here are a few

I hope this has been useful.;
https://www.discusscooking.com/forum...ans-89619.html

https://www.discusscooking.com/forum...ns-102134.html

https://www.discusscooking.com/forum...ans-10830.html

https://www.discusscooking.com/forum...ans-93381.html
https://www.discusscooking.com/forum...ers-79107.html

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- https://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 12:20 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Welcome bbhank.
I think maybe you will have to accept the fact that other than a can, there is no such thing at the moment that gives you anything like "from scratch beans" in under 15 minutes.

I believe they actually have single serving cans of beans, at least I've seen them for baked beans - if that's the kind of bean you want. - So no waste.

You might want to try to make time to prep meals ahead while you are at home. Freeze individual meals. You should be able to keep 3 days meals in a portable cooler. Or with a cooler that plugs into your car/truck maybe even a couple days more.

Another suggestion might be to have some snacks to munch on while you are preparing a longer prepping meal.
Old 08-01-2020, 01:04 PM   #11
Certified/Certifiable

B&M Baked beans are pretty yasty. Get the B&M in the jar, I think they are better than the B&Mbeans i a can. Also, the enhpty jar makes an attractive candle jar.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- https://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beans