Spicing Up My Rice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Things I can think of:

1. Since you have a wok, try Chinese stir fried rice - very versatile, it normally includes egg, your favorite meat/seafood, chicken or bacon, or shrimp, and you spice it up with green onion, pepper, salt, etc.

2. Since you like hot food, try Jambalaya - rice with shrimp, sausage, tomato, chili

Here is my recipe for Chinese stir fried rice:

Ingredients

Long grain rice -- 2 cups
Eggs -- 2
Chicken tubes -- 1 cup
Carrots, finely chopped -- 1/2 cup
Salt -- 1 1/2 tsp
Pepper -- 1/2 tsp
Cooking oil -- 4 tbsp
Green onion, finely chopped -- 1 stalk

Steps
  1. Cook rice according to instructions on package. Prepare rice in advance so that you have enough time to cool rice. You can cook rice the night before and refridge it overnight.
  2. Beat egg. Combine 1/2 tsp salt with eggs.
  3. Heat 2 tbsp oil in a deep wok. Saute chicken for 2 minute or until no longer pink. Remove and set aside.
  4. Heat remaing 2 tbsp oil in wok. Add beaten eggs into work. Cook over medium-low heat. When eggs are half cooked, add rice. Stir rice so rice is coated by half-liquid egg as much as possible.
  5. Add chicken and carrots to wok. Now turn heat to medium-high. Stir together for 3 minutes or until eggs are cooked and all are blended well.
  6. Add green onion, remaining salt, and pepper. Stir well.
Tips

• Rice should be a little dryer than normal. The moisture in rice is undesired. So it is preferred to prepare rice well in advance and let the moisture gradually disappears over time.
  • Step 4 is critical. When eggs are half cooked, rice absorbs the flavour of eggs during cooking and results in wonderful taste.
  • Cut all the ingredients as small as possible so they get cooked quickly and aromas blend with each other.
  • Remember to keep stirring. This is the only way to avoid eggs being overcooked.

Last edited:
Savory said:
Things I can think of:

1. Since you have a wok, try Chinese stir fried rice - very versatile, it normally includes egg, your favorite meat/seafood, chicken or bacon, or shrimp, and you spice it up with green onion, pepper, salt, etc.

2. Since you like hot food, try Jambalaya - rice with shrimp, sausage, tomato, chili

Here is my recipe for Chinese stir fried rice:

Ingredients

Long grain rice -- 2 cups
Eggs -- 2
Chicken, cubed -- 1 cup
Carrots, finely chopped -- 1/2 cup
Salt -- 1 1/2 tsp
Pepper -- 1/2 tsp
Cooking oil -- 4 tbsp
Green onion, finely chopped -- 1 stalk

Steps
[*]Cook rice according to instructions on package. Prepare rice in advance so that you have enough time to cool rice. You can cook rice the night before and refridge it overnight.
[*]Beat egg. Combine 1/2 tsp salt with eggs.
[*]Heat 2 tbsp oil in a deep wok. Saute chicken for 2 minute or until no longer pink. Remove and set aside.
[*]Heat remaing 2 tbsp oil in wok. Add beaten eggs into work. Cook over medium-low heat. When eggs are half cooked, add rice. Stir rice so rice is coated by half-liquid egg as much as possible.
[*]Add chicken and carrots to wok. Now turn heat to medium-high. Stir together for 3 minutes or until eggs are cooked and all are blended well.
[*]Add green onion, remaining salt, and pepper. Stir well.
Tips

[*]Rice should be a little dryer than normal. The moisture in rice is undesired. So it is preferred to prepare rice well in advance and let the moisture gradually disappears over time.
[*]Step 4 is critical. When eggs are half cooked, rice absorbs the flavour of eggs during cooking and results in wonderful taste.
[*]Cut all the ingredients as small as possible so they get cooked quickly and aromas blend with each other.
[*]Remember to keep stirring. This is the only way to avoid eggs being overcooked.

Now that does sound delicious!!! (aside from prawns which I'd omit :) )

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, but I see no reference to (2) cubes.

I just see "Chicken Cubes 1 cup."

I could have sworn that's what I saw. Oh well. BTW, I checked, it still says tubes, not cubes.

But what is a 1 cup of chicken cubes? Is it a whole cup of chicken bouillon cubes? :ohmy:

I could have sworn that's what I saw. Oh well. BTW, I checked, it still says tubes, not cubes.

But what is a 1 cup of chicken cubes? Is it a whole cup of chicken bouillon cubes? :ohmy:

One of us will have to PM "Savory" and ask what was meant for sure, but I'm pretty sure it means one cup of cubed chicken. That is chicken meat which has been cut into cubes. 1/2" cubes are what I see in most recipes.

It's much too late for the OP to alter the recipe now. Editing is only allowed here for a brief time after posting. 20 minutes I think.

I understand now:

1 C. cooked chicken, cubed

The directions for the recipe call for sauteing the chicken, so I'm pretty confident that the ingredient list means RAW chicken, cut into cubes for the initial ingredients.

This points out the value of proof reading ones recipes prior to posting them. A simple typo can cause a lot of confusion.

Spell check. It only takes a few seconds. Then a quick proof reading to catch the obvious wrong words like "Tubes" instead of "Cubes".

Oh yeah, I didn't look back. Raw then, or use cooked and skip the saute step.

I've proof read some of my recipes dozens of times and errors still get past. You see what you expect to see, not what is actually there. It's valuable to have somebody other than the author proofread your recipes.

Oh yeah, I didn't look back. Raw then, or use cooked and skip the saute step.

I've proof read some of my recipes dozens of times and errors still get past. You see what you expect to see, not what is actually there. It's valuable to have somebody other than the author proofread your recipes.

I hear you Greg. I've written papers and re-read them years later and found lots of errors in word usage and spelling. Lately, I've noticed my typing of "and" and "the" are "adn" and "teh". It happens so frequently that it's starting to bother me.

All, sorry for the typo, that's terrible! Sorry for the confusion for you all.

I meant - 1 cup of raw chicken meat, cut into small cubes.

Cut into cubes of 1/2 inch or whichever size you like

Raw is ok, since you will saute it later. But if you have cooked ones bought from supermarket, that's fine too. Just use them directly.

THANKS to Timothy for your PM!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom