Substitutes for black rice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There is white rice that is dyed black, however thats only a visual substitute, I do not think there is any real substitute for black rice.

silly me, I didn't know there was black rice... wild, brown and many whites.. but black??

Yes I think so sorry I was kind of in a rush last time but I always just call it black rice instead of wild rice. I was also looking for a taste sub lol, but thanks for giving me ways to fool the eaters (with squid ink)hehe.

Mitch, I don't think there is really any acceptable substitute for wild rice. It is not actually a rice (if I recall correctly) it is something else and therefore no other rice will be a good substitute. I would be interested to learn if there IS a substitute so I am hoping someone with more knowledge comes along to help you out.

So it appears there are two diferent kinds of black rice, one Thai and glutenous and the other Chinese and not glutenous, and neither one is wild rice, which is a grass. Learn something new every day!

Thanks, Michael and HanArt.

OH, and neither one is black, they're both purple!

I'm so confused ! :dizzy: :dizzy:

Last edited:
Andy M. said:
OH, and neither one is black, they're both purple!

I'm so confused ! :dizzy: :dizzy:

Actually it is black until you cook it then it turns purple. Like purple string beans turn green. :LOL:

Hmmm so its not exactly rice. Well I guess that's okay. I wanted something good in like a kind of tropical rice dish (a.k.a. coconut milk, and maybe some bell pepper, not that tropical i suppose). I was thinking basmati as I have heard very highly of it, and is used in Indian cuisine among others if I am correct. Anyways thanks to all you guys for posting.:)

mitch_the_chef said:
Hmmm so its not exactly rice. ...QUOTE]

Mitch:

I think it IS exactly rice. Check the links posted earlier in the thread. When we were talking about wild rice (different from black rice) I said THAT wasn't really rice.

Mitch - as Andy said - read the links! It is real rice, unlike North American wild rice which is a seed.

Black rice gets it's color and nutty flavor from not being hulled like white rice.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom