Thanksgiving Sausage & Sourdough Stuffing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Effington

Assistant Cook
Ingredients

• 1 large loaf sourdough bread, cut into 1/2" to 3/4" cubes
  • 1 lb sausage*, casings removed
  • 1 tablespoons fresh sage, chopped
  • 8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter
  • 2 cups onion, chopped
  • 1 cup celery, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced, pressed or grated
  • 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
  • 1 tablespoons fresh thyme, chopped
  • 1/4 cup maple syrup
  • 2 cups chicken stock, plus more as needed
  • Salt & pepper

*A note on sausage, use what you like. I used a combination of hot Italian and Andouille, but sweet Italian works as well as loose sausage from the supermarket. Skip the sage addition if you use sage-flavored sausage.

Preparation

Preheat oven to 300 deg F. Spread the bread cubes out on a baking sheet and toast in the oven for 10 to 15 minutes until golden brown, but not completely dried out. Remove bread and place into a bowl. Increase oven to 350 deg F.

In a medium Dutch oven, brown the sausage, breaking it up into smaller pieces. Add the sage and cook until no longer pink, about 10 minutes. Remove sausage to a bowl and discard fat.

Melt butter in the same Dutch oven and add the onion and celery with a little salt; cook until tender, about 10 to 15 minutes. Add the garlic and herbs and cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes.

In a large mixing bowl, toss the sausage, bread cubes and vegetables together to combine. Season with salt and pepper.

In another bowl, whisk together maple syrup and chicken stock. Pour over the bread, sausage and vegetable mixture until desired level of saturation is achieved. Use less or more as necessary. Mix well and pour everything into a buttered baking dish.

Bake until the top is golden brown, about 30 minutes. Serve warm.

Add Rye and Pumpernickle bread, granny smith apples and walnuts and that would be the one my family likes the best

Yes! I'm not big on fruit or nuts in my stuffing, but if that's your thing it would go great in this. I definitely think a mix of breads would be great too.

Back
Top Bottom