The bean topic you've been waiting for

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Chief Longwind, they'd have to haul me away in the straight jacket right along with ya, because I love, love, love 4 bean salads made with canned beans! :yum: I make mine very similar to yours. Now I'm craving it. Must make it again very soon.

Your sweet bean pie sounds wonderful, I'm going to copy and paste it to my 'to try' recipes.

This 4 bean salad was from last summer - I added some chopped red pepper, celery, and Bermuda onions, as I had to use them.

img_1153044_0_540849a0b939c6b31046ce0d5704b0aa.jpg

Man, I wish I had that plate for lunch today. Very nice.:punk:

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I want all of your bean recipes, hot, cold, sweet, savory, side dish, main course, desert, any kind of bean.

Beans are an extremely health food, one of the "super-foods". I know so many different bean recipes, but suspect that there are ways to use this wonderful legume that I haven't thought of in my wildest culinary dreams.

So, let's see your best.

I am a bean lover, too. I usually cook a large amount of beans. I keep them frozen in several zip-lock bags and when I need a quick lunch I defrost one bag and I make a bean salad by dressing the beans simply with extra virgin olive oil and freshly ground black pepper and a piece of toasted bread that I made using the water from the beans. You can also make bean bread. My favorite are Peruvian beans.

Last edited:
I am a bean lover, too. I usually cook a large amount of beans. I keep them frozen in several zip-lock bags and when I need a quick lunch I defrost one bag and I make a bean salad by dressing the beans simply with extra virgin olive oil and freshly ground black pepper and a piece of toasted bread that I made using the water from the beans. You can also make bean bread. My favorite are Peruvian beans.

I've never heard of bean bread. Could you post a recipe?:chef:

I've never heard of bean bread. Could you post a recipe?:chef:

Bean Breads

From The New Laurel’s Kitchen, a cookbook for vegetarians. (Random House 1984)

Ingredients:
tsp active dry yeast
½
Cup warm water
Cups whole wheat flour
2 ½
tsp salt
TBSP honey

Garbanzo cooking broth, plus cold water to make 2 cups liquid, about 70[FONT=&quot]°[/FONT] F (2TBSP oil)
Cups freshly-cooked garbanzo, mashed
Directions:
1. If you want to work beans into your family’s diet but find resistance in the rank, adding beans or bean flour when you prepare your bread dough can make a small but significant contribution. With a little art, not a soul will guess what extra nutrients that delicious slice contains.
Our preference is for cooked, mashed soybeans or garbanzos up to a cup per loaf, kneaded into the dough after the gluten is formed. That way the beans really do disappear into the dough, and the bread has very good flavor.

[FONT=&quot]I have copied this recipe from the book but I have made some variations when I made it:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1) [/FONT][FONT=&quot]I used 50% whole wheat and 50% white flour, I used 2 TBSP instant dry yeast mixed in with the flours, and different kind of beans. No instructions are given for baking the bread. They had a previous chapter on the subject. If necessary I will provide you with the instructions.[/FONT]

Last edited:
Bean Breads

From The New Laurel’s Kitchen, a cookbook for vegetarians. (Random House 1984)

Ingredients:
tsp active dry yeast
½
Cup warm water
Cups whole wheat flour
2 ½
tsp salt
TBSP honey

Garbanzo cooking broth, plus cold water to make 2 cups liquid, about 70[FONT=&quot]°[/FONT] F (2TBSP oil)
Cups freshly-cooked garbanzo, mashed
Directions:
1. If you want to work beans into your family’s diet but find resistance in the rank, adding beans or bean flour when you prepare your bread dough can make a small but significant contribution. With a little art, not a soul will guess what extra nutrients that delicious slice contains.
Our preference is for cooked, mashed soybeans or garbanzos up to a cup per loaf, kneaded into the dough after the gluten is formed. That way the beans really do disappear into the dough, and the bread has very good flavor.

[FONT=&quot]I have copied this recipe from the book but I have made some variations when I made it:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1) [/FONT][FONT=&quot]I used 50% whole wheat and 50% white flour, I used 2 TBSP instant dry yeast mixed in with the flours, and different kind of beans. No instructions are given for baking the bread. They had a previous chapter on the subject. If necessary I will provide you with the instructions.[/FONT]

Thanks.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Supermarkets sell racks of ribs in two per pack sometimes around here. We never finish both racks so I always have about a half rack left over. I cut them up in single riblets, brown them with the onions and garlic, my chipotle-ancho-guajillo blend, a can or two of beans(usually red kidney), some stock or diced tomatoes, and let that simmer for about half an hour....

Supermarkets sell racks of ribs in two per pack sometimes around here. We never finish both racks so I always have about a half rack left over. I cut them up in single riblets, brown them with the onions and garlic, my chipotle-ancho-guajillo blend, a can or two of beans(usually red kidney), some stock or diced tomatoes, and let that simmer for about half an hour....

That sounds like such a great idea. Ribs are inexpensive compared to beef, and the bones would add reat flavor to beans. I've got to get me some more ribs, and make up a batch olf beans wit ribs. Thanks.

I think this thread abut beans should be headed by all who are looking at the food storage thread. For, what good is it to store food, if you don't have great recipes to use the stored food with?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom