The bean topic you've been waiting for

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
I want all of your bean recipes, hot, cold, sweet, savory, side dish, main course, desert, any kind of bean.

Beans are an extremely health food, one of the "super-foods". I know so many different bean recipes, but suspect that there are ways to use this wonderful legume that I haven't thought of in my wildest culinary dreams.

So, let's see your best.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Traditional Mediterranean Legume Dishes

Buon Girono,

Our Mediterranean legume dishes, I have prepared over the years off top of my head are:

1) Pasta Fagioli, often called Pasta Fazool: chick peas, ditalini, tomato, garlic ...

2) Cannelli Hummus: same as Chickpea Hummus, using the Italian White Bean variety Cannelli ...

3) Hummus: Chick peas, sesame paste, Evoo, paprika, cumin ...

4) Caldo Gallego: this Iberian Galician soup is prepared with white beans, indigenious to Spain and are similar to navy beans called Alubias ...

5) Fabada Asturiana: this sausage, tomato and garlic stew is made with Pochas, a very large ear shaped beige indigenious color legume from the lands of Asturias ...

6) Cannelli e Escarola: this traditional shepherd´s soup is prepared with garlic, white legumes called cannelli, escarola ( curly escarole ) and bread with vegetable or chicken stock ...

7) Lentejas con Chorizo: Green Castillian Lentil beans prepared with sausages, sweet and piquant, pancetta and vegetables ...

8) Alubias Rojas de Tudela: Tudela, Navarra Red Beans are prepared with sausages, vegetables and pancetta.

If a specific recipe is of interest, please note, I could post the recipe.

Have Nice Wednesday.
Ciao,
Margaux Cintrano

Last edited:
I make a simple kidney bean salad in the summer that goes over well.

1 cup mayo
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup vinegar

Mix together and set aside (even better if made the day before)

2 cans dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
4-6 hard boiled eggs diced
1/2 jar dill cubes or dill relish

Mix together with dressing. Refrigerate. Stir well before serving. The beans tend to sink to the bottom of the bowl so it looks rather bland until you stir it up again.

Last edited:
I love bean soup. I try to use the most collagen rich meats in them as I truly believe the collagen is good for my osteoporosis.

I'm 65, almost 66 years old, and am still 5'4" so I think it works. Turkey necks are a strong flavored collagen rich meat that I've been using lately.

I love my fathers's pinto's simple cook for 3-4 hrs. Take 1 lb of pintos, soak over night, drain and then add 3 cans beef broth you can add more if you like. saute a large yellow onion, 4- cloves crushed garlic then add it to a large deep pot, put in 1/2 lb. sliced lardon's of peppered bacon 1 80z can tomatoe sauce Italian type tomatoes add Worchestershire sauce to your taste I like 5-6 dashes several teas. of brownsugar, I also add some molasses about 1/4 cup or so 3-4 dashes Tabasco sauce forget it if you have small kids how are not into Heat.Put lid on you pot keep it ajar cook 2-3 hrs. Serve with thick sliced french bread and butter and a green salad icey cold say a Ceasar with anchovies
Enjoy
a fave way my sis and I love this is to take a piece of fresh white bread, drizzle with the bean juice, then add some of the beans roll in to a roll lean over the sink and manga
kades

I want all of your bean recipes, hot, cold, sweet, savory, side dish, main course, desert, any kind of bean.

Beans are an extremely health food, one of the "super-foods". I know so many different bean recipes, but suspect that there are ways to use this wonderful legume that I haven't thought of in my wildest culinary dreams.

So, let's see your best.

morning chief
broad beans are my all time fava-rite(sorry:rolleyes:) bean & i love cooking them this way,nothing new or groundbreaking but it is delish.leave out the cream & butter & use a bit more evoo,a splash of dry white wine & a pinch of dried chilli flakes & season with the parmesan at the end of cooking for a healthy option/variation:yum:
frozen baby broad beans work just as well.
penne with broad bean, bacon, mint + cream - YouTube

Last edited:
I'm not a huge fan of beans. When I was a vegetarian, I used to cook up some beans, put them through the meat grinder, and fry them up with onion as though it was ground beef. I used to use instead of ground beef in pasta sauce, sloppy Joes, etc.

"beaner joes" actually sound kinda good, if you add some spices, taxy.

chief, i don't have a lot of recipes, but would you like to hear my bean songs? :angel:

A pot of plain old pinto beans is hard to beat on a cold day. Soak them overnight, drain, add fresh water to cover with a couple of inches over that. Add a smoked ham hock, a quartered onion, a chopped rib of celery. Bring to a boil, then simmer for several hours, until the water cooks down to a sauce. Add salt when beans are tender. Serve with cornbread or fresh sourdough bread for dipping, er actually, for sopping. They're just as good or maybe even better when reheated the next day.

Sober Borracho Beans

Ingredients

1 pound bag pinto beans, rinsed and soaked
1 large white onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
2 large red ripe tomatoes, chopped
2 fresh jalapenos, chopped
1 bunch cilantro, chopped
1 slab thick bacon
1 teaspoon oregano
2 bay leaves
1 tablespoon salt
pepper
1 teaspoon cumin
2 cans beef broth

How to make it

Fry bacon to a tender taste but not crispy, drain fat. Wash pinto
bean and sift out for rocks. Put bacon, beans in big crock-pot or
big cooking pot with water filled 75% full. Add all remaining
ingredients and cook on high 4 hours. Eat with flour or corn
tortillas,corn bread, crackers, etc.

Mmmm....love beans just about any way, especially like a few of you mentioned - slow cooked with a smoked ham hock.

This isn't really a 'recipe', but I do love black beans rinsed and drained well, and sprinkled over green salads. Our summers are so hot here in the desert and I feel like I'm getting that extra bit of protein when I don't feel like cooking.

They're good with a variety of salad dressings and keep well in the fridge for several days. I just had a mixed greens salad tonight with a couple good spoonfuls of black beans mixed in, with a vinaigrette dressing - delish. :)

~cj

I like Shake 'em Up Salads. Mexican-style is one of my favorites, the other is chick peas with Italian-type salad dressing or Greek-salad dressing.

I love three or four-bean salad on a hot summer day.

ingredients:
1 12 oz. can dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 12 oz. can garbanzo beans (chicke peas) drained and rinced
1 12 oz. can green beans with can liquor
1 12 oz. can Wax beans with can liquor
1.8 cup apple cider vnager
t tsp. celery seed
1 meium yellow onion, peeled and chopped
sugar to taste

Chill until ice-cold and serve. Yum!:yum::chef:

Yes, I know, everything is from a can. When it's hot outside, and inside, I'm not going to take the time and effort to boil kidney and garbanzo beans until tender, and then steam fresh green and wax beans to perfection. I don't care how much you threaten me. I'm not going to do it, I tell ya. I'm not going to do it. No! Get that funny white jacket with the sleeves that tie around the back out of here. I'm not goin' down easy, see. No, get away! Get away!.:ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO:

Ok, so that was lame. What else ya gonna do on a lazy Sunday afternoon when you're sitting in the office because you're waiting for a telephone company to call you abck, because one of your customers sites is without phone service?":ohmy:

This isn't lame: Sweet Bean Pie:

Ingredients, Crust;
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp salt
lard
3 tbs ice water

Whisk together the flour and salt. Cut in 3/8 cup of lard until completely cut it. Does the dough look like pea-gravel yet. if there is loose flour in the bowl, add another heaping tbs. or so of lard and cut it in. On the other hand, if the dough looks like it will all stick together like a lump of greasy clay, add another 18 cup of flour and cut it in. You want it to look like pea gravel.

When the dough is just right, add the ice water and fold it in just to moisten everything a bit. now, roll it out on a well floured work surface and fold it in half, then in half again to form a triangle. Carefully lift the dough into a pie pan, with the pointy end in the middle of the pan, and unfold The dough to fit the pan. Press down lightly. Preheat oven to 400' F. Beat an egg until smooth, and brush the pie shell with the beaten egg. Place in the hot oven for 7 to eight minutes, just to set the egg wash. Remove and let the crust cool.

Filling ingredients:
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup evaporated milk
2 cups cooked (or canned) and mashed navy beans
2/3 cup white sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground clove

Preheat oven to 425'F.
Combine all ingredients and whisk until smooth. When the oven is hot. pour the filling into the pie shell and place in the oven. Cook for 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350' and bake for another 50 minutes. Test by inserting a clean butter knife. If it comes out clean, the pie is done. Cool to room temperature, or place in the fridge if you like your pie cold, like me.;)

Serve with your favorite pumpkin pie topping, because that's what this pie tastes, and feels like.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Lognwind of the North

Chief Longwind, they'd have to haul me away in the straight jacket right along with ya, because I love, love, love 4 bean salads made with canned beans! :yum: I make mine very similar to yours. Now I'm craving it. Must make it again very soon.

Your sweet bean pie sounds wonderful, I'm going to copy and paste it to my 'to try' recipes.

This 4 bean salad was from last summer - I added some chopped red pepper, celery, and Bermuda onions, as I had to use them.

img_1152875_0_540849a0b939c6b31046ce0d5704b0aa.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom