The Goulash Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
BC - I copied your recipe. If for no other reason, it's *got* to be good with such a pretty name.

Thanks for sharing.

Bob

You're very welcome!! And don't let the sauerkraut deter you. My husband is a confirmed sauerkraut hater & - for whatever reason - even he likes this recipe - lol!!

It's rather funny. Here, in the Eastern Upper Peninsula of Michigan, nobody I know of understands what real goulash is. Everyone makes some version of what I posted, and usually with elbow macaroni, ground beef, and a spicy tomato sauce, all mixed together.

And Breezy, I've searched the internet for many an authentic Goulash recipe. Such a thing seems to be hard to find. There are a hundred differing variations, each claiming to be the real thing. Even among people who state that they are from Hungary, it's the same.

The dish you describe, I found to be called Goulyash. Every recipe by that name is similar to your recipe.

'Tis a funny world indeed.;)

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

...There are a hundred differing variations, each claiming to be the real thing. Even among people who state that they are from Hungary, it's the same....

GW:

As you know, finding the original goulash recipe would be like trying to find the one beef stew recipe that was the original. There are as many variations as there are cooks.

Traditional (??) recipes all seem to have some essential ingredients in common such as beef, onion, caraway, paprikas, garlic and tomato.

The real goulash is a favorite of mine over spaetzle.

You're very welcome!! And don't let the sauerkraut deter you. My husband is a confirmed sauerkraut hater & - for whatever reason - even he likes this recipe - lol!!

BC - I actually have every thing at home to make except the white wine. But since I have a ton of fresh stuff to consume first, I will wait till I get the wine.

I have a bag of sauerkraut in the fridge with your name on it :)

Bob

Totally off-the-wall theory unsupported by any research whatsoever:

The term "Goulash" may have been adopted by Americans who were not of Hungarian descent to describe a variety of foods because it's sort of a funny-sounding word, at least to the English-trained ear, that resembles "glop" or "goo" or "goop," childish terms used to describe a mix of foods. The mixtures tasted good, and the term stuck, but the dishes to which it was applied had nothing at all in common with real Goulash.

Totally off-the-wall theory unsupported by any research whatsoever:

The term "Goulash" may have been adopted by Americans who were not of Hungarian descent to describe a variety of foods because it's sort of a funny-sounding word, at least to the English-trained ear, that resembles "glop" or "goo" or "goop," childish terms used to describe a mix of foods. The mixtures tasted good, and the term stuck, but the dishes to which it was applied had nothing at all in common with real Goulash.
I think you are on to it..Many things we eat have names that come from other peoples and places..I think at times when you make something from leftovers, you know no names for it so you make one up and it becomes a family "item" other things like pasta fagiole get it's American name from soldiers who were not sure how to pronounce it..thus pasta fazool:LOL: Be it what it is it becomes ours...forever..And for some it is comfort and others an oh good lord they did it again...:LOL:
kadesma

...The term "Goulash" may have been adopted by Americans who were not of Hungarian descent to describe a variety of foods because it's sort of a funny-sounding word, at least to the English-trained ear, that resembles "glop" or "goo" or "goop," childish terms used to describe a mix of foods...

Scotch, I have a recipe for glop if you're interested. (Really). It's a one pot dish I learned to make in Boy Scouts about 50 years ago.

Wanna bet your Boy Scout "glop" recipe is different from the one I learned?
LOL!

Maybe American goulash is just another version of Hugnarian, made with what
was available and cheap. Paprika seems to be a common denominator for both....

Back
Top Bottom