Tips for holding a white sauce (for mac n cheese)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andybonaire

Assistant Cook
I'd like to be able to hold a white sauce throughout the day to use to make mac n cheese. I'm just not sure how to hold the white sauce. The plan is to take a portion of the white sauce each time i need it and heat it in a pan before adding cheese and pasta. I could hold the white sauce in a bain marie but i can only do this for about an hour. Im also concerned it may become a bit thin doing this.

Any suggestions would be awesome, thanks

The nature of flour based sauces,/gravies is that they are meant to be eaten fresh. A white sauce, as you call it, is a Bechemel, and is made from butter, flour, cooked until blond in color, then thin with cream,, or milk. Cheese is then added to create the sauce. It is seasoned with a little nutmeg. Adding shredded cheese to the sauce, after removing from the heat, will stabilize the sauce.

Rather than trying to hold the white sauce, make your cheese sauce. Portion the sauce into lidded containers and place in the fridge, or freezer. Then you can make mac & cheese anytime you want.

Also, rather than making your sauce with a

Bechemel, you cam make it with simply cream, and shredded cheeses. Also, use different mixes of cheese, such as. extra sharp cheddar, aged Swiss, fresh mozzarella, aged gouda, butterkase, Parmesano Regiano, Pecorino Romano, Asiago, etc.

There are so many good cheeses out there. Mix a couple of them together for new tasty mac 7 cheese recipes.

Another advantage to this is that you can add a touch more milk, and make your own cheese spread. Oh, if you can get it, extra sharp Pinconing is a wonderful cheese for your dish. Also, add a little preared yellow mustard, and some black pepper to add to the flavor.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Try it...just let it cool and then bring a scoop or two back up to temp..I'd go slow and whisk it a lot..you may have to thin it with a bit of milk, or thicken with a handful of cheese, but it will probably work..

Many restarants keep white sauce in pails and warm portions of it up in steam tables or pans....watch your heat..

Back
Top Bottom